autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: making a silver car shine

Two different write ups I did on my stepdad’s silver Honda Ridgeline:

Hi-Yo Silver! 2017 Honda Ridgeline

Not all that glitters is gold - Honda Ridgeline

And my 2021 Honda Civic wearing McKee’s 37 SiO2 Ceramic Paint Sealant.

making a silver car shine-844b22a8-3ded-400d-8491-11f4075dfa58-jpg

making a silver car shine-c2e47fa3-add2-402b-bbc2-d09d800c560b-jpg

You will get much more of a pop out of the paint with a sealant versus a carnauba wax. Do a wash, iron decontamination, clay bar if necessary, paint correction (if needed) or paint cleaner, then a sealant. My favorite paint sealant (non-ceramic) is Blackfire Paint Sealant (used to be Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant). If your paint doesn’t need correction, consider Blackfire One Step after claying but before the sealant to chemically clean the paint and lay down a base layer of protection. Blackfire Paint Sealant is very easy to apply and remove, super slick, very hydrophobic, and will last several months with proper maintenance.

BLACKFIRE One Step 16 oz.

BLACKFIRE Paint Sealant 16 oz.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

2. Likes SNP209 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had my Bright Silver Challenger for almost 10 years. I have chase paint reflection almost the entire time. There are only 4 things that help
    1) Sun behind you
    2) Dusk
    3) Dawn
    4) Garage

making a silver car shine-img_35011-jpg
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

4. Likes opie, SNP209, Jayfro, Rsurfer, JDGolden liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

110 and 210 are almost brand new and apparently 110 has an incredible working time with almost zero dusting. Also heard that 210 is exponentially easier to work with than 205, even Mike Phillips himself has a video with the 110/210 and speaks very highly of it. But you are correct in saying #3 and #7 are very old, they are generally for restoring single stage paint (Mike has an amazing trick he uses that works bloody wonders on old single stage) and for dark paint even clear coat i found #7 to add this shine that just can’t seem to be matched anywhere. I do like the few Griots products i’ve
    used, but as far as polishes and compounds go im 100% meguiars, waxes and other such products i’m
    more than willing to try other things.

Also everyone is right silver you can only do so much,
    i’m very very tedious with my prep work so i guess i’m doing the right thing, plus the previous owner was a complete idiot and appears to have just put paint over paint sloppily in a few spots that i had to correct which really bothered me, i’m rather obsessive about my paint work, also my tires and trim lol i like
    my cars and truck to look like they’ve had a lot of effort put into their upkeep.

When i first met my girlfriend she was trying to sell her 2012 Silverado (nice truck had the good package) but people kept offering her about 2500 canadian less than she wanted (and in my opinion was fair) so i did a full detail and everything the full meal deal and right away first guy who looked at it said oh wow you must have taken good care of it (engine bay everything was mint) didnt buy it but second guy said the same thing and she got exactly what she asked for, so in my opinion it’s more than worth it in many ways to go the extra mile or 5 to make your car look perfect. I work 75+ hours a week and the only thing i really
    cared about fancy wise (i spend all my money on family stuff cause
    it makes me happy) was our vehicles, wanted girlfriend to have a nice truck/suv and i wanted a nice AWD both safe and always shiny (plus we live on acreage in the boonies surrounded by a forest with a nice creek running beside it so a truck is necessary in a lot of ways)

Sorry for the big message that’s just the Icelander in me! Thanks all for the advice and taking the time
    to comment and being so positive, i love auto geek because there’s zero negativity here it’s all friendly and all vehicle fanatics or half noobs like me!! Have a good day all hope it’s better weather down there, up here in Maple Ridge, BC, Canada it’s a heavy downpour, guess the 5 month rainy season has begun lol! Take care all be safe out there!

6. Thanks Rod73 thanked for this post
    Likes crg001, Rod73 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    I have had my Bright Silver Challenger for almost 10 years. I have chase paint reflection almost the entire time. There are only 4 things that help
    1) Sun behind you
    2) Dusk
    3) Dawn
    4) Garage

making a silver car shine-img_35011-jpg
    hahaha! sounds about right my friend! the truck shines like nothing with very little work! Unfortunately we don’t have the covered parking yet! Our shop/garage is still filled with stuff same with the single car garage, we’re getting there though! Young couple, young kid, you know how it goes!

8. Likes hoyt66 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

btw does anyone know if a 6inch wool cutting pad will work on a 5 inch griots backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robscoe View Post
    btw does anyone know if a 6inch wool cutting pad will work on a 5 inch griots backing plate?
    Will this be used on a rotary?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Will this be used on a rotary?
    nope a porter 7424 but i was told not to bother with wool and stay with foam cut? i keep hearing different things as far as cutting goes. My 110/210 combo arrived so i’m gonna try the 110 and see if that finishes off the defects that the 105 didn’t as one the bottle was small and too much bloody dusting so i got pissed and mixed it half with UC. It did fairly well but the work time just wasn’t long enough and dealing with the dust was just far too frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like

nope a porter 7424 but i was told not to bother with wool and stay with foam cut? i keep hearing different things as far as cutting goes. My 110/210 combo arrived so i’m gonna try the 110 and see if that finishes off the defects that the 105 didn’t as one the bottle was small and too much bloody dusting so i got pissed and mixed it half with UC. It did fairly well but the work time just wasn’t long enough and dealing with the dust was just far too frustrating.
    I imagine you'll be pleased with the M110.

I agree with many of the others in advising to skip the M07 and M03. They were designed for single stage paints, and don't really do much for clear coats. I believe their Deep Crystal Polish was designed for clear coats, but I honestly don't even know if they make it anymore. The M110/M210 combo is a killer set up for sure. One I personally enjoy using.

The 6" wool should work on the 5" plate, unless it's one of those heavy bowl shaped, 4 ply twisted wool pads intended for rotary buffers. That would be a nightmare. M110 pairs beautifully with a microfiber cutting pad. I use it on Buff and Shine Uro-Fiber pads.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Agree, glazes are a band-aid at best.

To get silver looking it's best, you need to polish it out the best possible. That will bring the most out of the shine, but you won't get the same depth you do from car with color. A wax will give silver a nice warm glow, while many sealants and coating will give it a reflective glass-like shine.
    good to know! Since it’s the winter (aka rain rain rain rain bit of snow rain rain rain for 6
    months) i’m thinking about #21 by meguiars, or p21s as i do love a paste wax but
    i figure for the wet season 21 would last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

good to know! Since it’s the winter (aka rain rain rain rain bit of snow rain rain rain for 6
    months) i’m thinking about #21 by meguiars, or p21s as i do love a paste wax but
    i figure for the wet season 21 would last longer.
    From one silver car owner to another, have you considered Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0? That was my first LSP on my Altima and I had no complaints.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast