autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Inquiries like " how much for a 2010 Lexus"...

I get a lot of inquiries asking simply "how much for...".

My answer is "it depends on the level of service you want". I lose some with that answer. I don't use too many technical terms the caller/messenger may not understand but what do you guys say?

I'm pretty comfortable with how I answer but wanted to maybe get some ideas from you folks.

I'm more successful with agreeing to meet them (at a convenient place for them). I need to inspect the vehicle first and am better in person but i need more of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inquiries like " how much for a 2010 Lexus"...

I tell them it depends on your expectations and results you want to achieve. Tell them I do single stage quick polish and protect all the way to as close to perfection as possible without compromising the clear.

The quick is more dedicated for daily's and perfection for weekend warriors that get hand washed

Quicky can be done in a day, perfection is 2 days with a option to have the vehicle for a 3rd day. Then I give them a big price window.... something like $800 - $1500 that can be better accessed with a in person inspecting. Then I end with, No interiors.

That's pretty much how it goes for me word for word but a little more organized and detailed but make it short and sweet and blunt so they know if they are looking for a quick wash and wax they are looking at the wrong place
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

3. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes Rsurfer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 98CayenneTA! Good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

My answer is "it depends on the level of service you want". I lose some with that answer.
    My approach is to answer with a very open ended question. You really can't answer it because as you noted, you have no idea other than price what the concerns are. I always state; "tell me about the vehicle, age, past care and what the top 3 concerns are or what they are looking to accomplish by getting it detailed." From there you can drill down by asking a clarifying question such as "so if heard you right.....blah, blah, these are your top concerns; but are there any others and what would be your main goal to have accomplished"

Then you can talk about if they were presented with several options.....describe your packages, etc. which one sounds most likely to meet their needs? Have them answer as it's their car and you're not there to overcome their objections or hurdles, you have to get them to do that.

I do then go into how their needs and desires are impacted by the size and type of vehicle, services needed based on their comments and the options around not just the package that they described meeting their needs best but I also go up a package level and down one too to provide them an opportunity to spend more and see their reaction and also a way to save face and money should they get some sticker shock. It's also part of the reason I price out my coatings and LSP's such as wheel and trim coatings ala-cart. It allows for them to better understand how things are put together, offers more options and again, helps them feel more comfortable making their own decisions about what I'm going to do for them vs me pitching what i think.

Thus the answer is always let the customer lead the conversation and look at things through their eyes not yours. That includes upon inspection and pricing. I say inspection as when I do mine, panel by panel, I have them provide ALL the answer. Here's an example. As we walk around the vehicle, I'll find the panel I think needs the most addressed and start there. In this case it was a door. I start by stating " so as we walk around your car, I'm going to ask a series of questions to further clarify your desires while at the same time providing you a "cursory" ( as I do two inspections, this is the first ) view of concerns I'm finding."

On this door I would ask if anything jumps out to them and what they want addressed and perhaps like to see. ffwd, I walk them through by asking questions, THEM telling ME about the scratch, the marring/swirls, oxidation and dullness and not only if and how they may have occurred but also what they would like to see once completed. Part of this is not only helping address your initial question about "how much" but also forms the basis and story behind any damage found. I hope that makes sense.

Sorry for the VERY long answer, but it's an important topic not only from a pricing and sales perspective but most importantly a CYA perspective for ALL vehicles you touch. My wife is an attorney and wrote my intake documents thus I'm inclined to perhaps make a video about this. Hmmmm....

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Likes SNP209, Paul A., PaulMys, mbkite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely SUPERB post, TTQ! Thank you for those insights.

I will say that i cover a lot of your points during the visual meet/greet/inspection of the vehicle. The key to always keep in mind is to let the potential customer tell you what they want done. Having said that, DON'T get caught up with the "I can fix that" during the work. I have wasted time and product coming across something the customer never mentioned or noticed during the walk around. As an example, "ooh, those headlights look pretty faded...lemme just spent another 1/2 hr brightening them up"! COVER 100% OF WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS DURING THE INSPECTION! And take notes if ya have to.

My initial post was more focused on getting past the initial, very general, question of "how much for..." and hopefully getting the meet/inspection. You offered some ideas on how to do that and I thank you again, my friend.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points mentioned above, but an 11 year old car that is probably going to be sold/traded in..not much will be spent.

9. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes but maybe the new owner could be sold services.

Post Thanks / Like

here is my view on this subject:
    " what car is it ?
    what needs to be done ? if the answer is : needs detailed" i ask if needs polish , just wash and wax , ceramic? etc....
    anything specific that needs to be addressed inside or outside?
    anything soiled inside or outside?

after this you should have a better view of who the clients is and what he wants done. YES for some clients is not worth dealing with , are never happy / or probably happy if you work for free and perfect ...
    you will develop an list of words and when triggered you will know if is worth the project or pass.... / so ask the right questions , you will hear everything u need!

i use to meet clients before for inspection , i found if i ask the right questions i can save some time and travel.
    all prices given by phone are estimate price range min-max , that way is no surprise, and if any surprise or no honesty , the project is covered in the price range.
    usually "need it done today" comes with pandora box ( read .... car "accidents", extra bugs/tar etc , so plan accordingly )
    i usually schedule in advance
    Detail Luxury and Exotics in Austin area
    @proreflection
    www.proreflection.com

12. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

My answer is "it depends on the level of service you want". I lose some with that answer. I don't use too many technical terms the caller/messenger may not understand but what do you guys say?

I'm pretty comfortable with how I answer but wanted to maybe get some ideas from you folks.

I'm more successful with agreeing to meet them (at a convenient place for them). I need to inspect the vehicle first and am better in person but i need more of those.
    Great answer!

14. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post