autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niece's Kia

Post Thanks / Like

Niece's Kia

My wife, sister in law and niece went to Virginia Friday to visit their 100 y/o grandmother, and left the niece's Kia Soul at our house {Insert Evil Laugh}.

So with no adult supervision, I decided to experiment on the car a little. 303 brags that their Graphene Spray Coating can be used on ANY surface...prepped, unprepped, waxed, coated etc. SO I decided to test that theory. I know that it works really well on MY car, which is a prepped, "waxed" surface (It had 2 coats of TW Flex Graphene Spray Coating on it when I used the 303 on it). Now let's see how it does on an UN-prepared surface.

The Kia did get a thorough wash and some minor tar removal. I have to say, for a person who just puts gas in it and goes, the car was in remarkable shape. Apparently she DOES wash it regularly (there is a sticker in the windshield for a car wash place with a bar-code on it) which tells me she is a regular customer of whatever place that is. BUT...it must either be a touch-less or hand car wash, because there is NO swirling in the paint at all. The only defects were some water spotting and a place on the hood, where I believe she sat her purse down and slid it off, that's it. Since it was in such good shape, I only felt a little (OK, a Lot) guilty about not polishing it out first.

Since the car was not polished and smooth, the first coat of 303 went on just a touch grabby and removal was just a tad more difficult, but using new, fresh microfibers made a HUGE difference. I used a new towel per coat and a third towel after the 2nd coat as a 'final buff.' I waited an hour or so between coats, although the roof only got 1 coat (I HATE ladder work). The 2nd coat went on insanely smooth and slick and required less product to cover the entire car, the front windshield and rear window also got two coats along with the paintwork, but the side glass only got 1 coat. My thoughts being that with the box shape of the car, the airflow at the rear sucks all the dirt etc back up against the rear of the car and it has a rear wiper, so a little extra protection won't hurt. The windshield takes the brunt of the abuse, bugs, water and crud kicked up by the car in front during a rain etc. While in comparison, the side glass is relatively untouched.

At first, I couldn't see much of a difference between the 'before & after,' but I'm pretty sure that's because I'd been staring at the car for a few hours, but after taking a break and looking at it an hour or so later, the improvement in gloss was obvious (I'm sure many of you experience the same thing...immediately after finishing a car, you might see some improvement, but give your eyes an hour or so to 'relax' and then the difference is amazing).

Well, enough talk, here's the final results:

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

2. Likes dgage, PaulMys, VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Niece's Kia

Looks good Don. Turned out great.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

4. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. They did a good job with the styling of the front end. I always had a thing for the Honda Element which given how well these Kia's and their cousins sell, makes me wonder what happened with Honda. Updated with their 2.0T in it, I'm confident the Element would sell.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

6. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're gonna have other relatives finding excuses to leave their car at your house.

The later Elements looked ok but I wasn't a fan of the early ones that had the mix of plastic and paint on the exterior.

8. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    You're gonna have other relatives finding excuses to leave their car at your house.

The later Elements looked ok but I wasn't a fan of the early ones that had the mix of plastic and paint on the exterior.
    Agree. The SC Trim is the one I liked. A friend of mine still has her as she has two great dane dogs and it's perfect for them.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Looks good. They did a good job with the styling of the front end. I always had a thing for the Honda Element which given how well these Kia's and their cousins sell, makes me wonder what happened with Honda. Updated with their 2.0T in it, I'm confident the Element would sell.
    Taylor's Kia is a "GT Line" model...what that means I'll have to GOOGLE, 'cause I don't know.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

11. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be applying the second coat of 303 Graphene on my wife’s X3 later today. I used BF one step to polish then laid down a coat of 303 Graphene yesterday afternoon, it was a little grabby too so I’m hoping that the second coat will be a little easier!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

13. Likes Don M liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome! KEEP ON ROCKING!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

15. Thanks Don M thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I’ll be applying the second coat of 303 Graphene on my wife’s X3 later today. I used BF one step to polish then laid down a coat of 303 Graphene yesterday afternoon, it was a little grabby too so I’m hoping that the second coat will be a little easier!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Compared to many other products, 303 does feel a bit grabby on the 1st application and of course on removal. Additional coats (up to 3 per 303) APPLY insanely slick feeling and smooth, but removal is still grabby, probably because this product doesn't leave a "slick" feeling to the paint, but if you're paying attention, it IS SMOOTH and it works great at eliminating water spotting and static attraction of dust. I did the Kia yesterday and it got rained on last night. I let the water air dry off the car and you can't tell it was ever wet. Even the black sections and glass were spot free once it dried.

I, for one, am willing to "overlook" the non-slick feel for the benefits I am seeing short term and the long term seems promising. I did the Camaro almost a month ago (one coat at first, then a week later two coats 30 minutes apart). It has been driven in the rain and I hadn't washed it in over a week (washed it this morning) and it wasn't until a few days ago that the top surfaces started showing accumulated dust. This morning, during the rinse, it beaded like a champ and even without a drying aid (77* and HUMID), it dried spot free.

Mike P. if you're listening, thank you again for your review of the 303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating...it seems to quickly becoming my favorite.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Full sun picture (I need a better camera)

Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

18. Likes Jayfro liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast