autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield coating - skipping wipers (new car)

Those sales are few and far between. They had the house brands (Pinnacle, Blackfire, etc.) 40% off on March 25. Also regularly check the sites for those manufacturers (for example Pinnaclewax.com) as they have their own sales and sometimes will have pretty good sales.

2. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnaclewax.com is running a 30% off sale for Memorial Day.

4. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Operation glass stripping done. Product with applicator was easy to use. Noticed water sheets off now. No beading. Used wipers to see any difference. Flooded with water and did not notice any more dragging. Next rain will be the test.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys and maybe especially to @Mike Phillips - issue is not going away
    I did a really nice wash recently , then we had a heavy rain that got us on the motorway.
    Yes, coating works nice to repel water, but in heavy weather conditions you still need the wipers.
    I can hear them chatter and skip and it annoyed me so much that I used them only once when I could barely see.

Detailer is of course feeling bad about all this and offered me several options:

1) Apply coating on the wipers again
    2) Change wipers as the rubber on the OEM ones might be just bad. I just don't really like that option, aesthetically they have the MB star on them, it just looks better. Call it vanity or stupidity, but after all it's brand new. Maybe I can change just the rubber and keep the MB caps?
    3) Remove the coating from the windshield.

I am thinking to try 1) first. Just wanted to check with you if removing the coating might do any harm - I guess same method and machine as applying the coat would be used,but now it would be to remove it.

I am a bit concerned and definitely didn't expect such turn of events. He said it has never happened on any other car and I truly believe him, еspecially when I read all the MB forum threads on chattering wipers. Not sure if I should give them a few more months to settle in and a few more washes? I did wash only once after applying the coating.

You can clearly see on 0:10 the chatter

Post Thanks / Like

UPDATE. The stripping of the coating did indeed vastly improve the operation of the wipers. The product i used is also in store now.

Stoner Glass Stripper

But being a detailer, i wanted to try just a glass cleaner with repellant added. I had the Pinnacle on hand. This also worked really well. Light rain yesterday. And i noticed no chatter with just the Pinnacle. So no more glass coatings for me.

Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent (autogeek.net)
    2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonPride View Post

Guys and maybe especially to @Mike Phillips -

issue is not going away

I feel your pain -Bill Clinton

I feel your paint -Mike Phillips

And "yes" that is my quote and parody of Bill Clinton.

Seriously. I'm going to stick with what I've already posted. The product I have had the best luck with for zero wiper chatter is the PBL Surface Coating. I use it on my own cars with success. I use it on my customer's cars with success.

And - I always machine polish the glass and then clean with a glass cleaner before application.

When I notice the water beading and water flying off the windshield diminishing - I simply apply some more.

10. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Likes bob m, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Seriously. I'm going to stick with what I've already posted. The product I have had the best luck with for zero wiper chatter is the PBL Surface Coating. I use it on my own cars with success. I use it on my customer's cars with success.

And - I always machine polish the glass and then clean with a glass cleaner before application.

When I notice the water beading and water flying off the windshield diminishing - I simply apply some more.

Mike,

Curious why you don't use this Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating on the glass, instead of PBL Surface Coating?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Mike,

Curious why you don't use this Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating on the glass, instead of PBL Surface Coating?
    Don't have much or any experience using it. I do have lots of experience using the All Surface Coating as I use it on paint, plastic (headlights and tail lights), and glass.

You see, this comes back to

A: Liking a product. I like the PBL Surface Coating.

B: It's multi surface and I like this attribute.

C: It makes the surface you apply it to slick and slippery - most coatings of ANY brand make the surface feel rubbery or tacky. I HATE rubbery and tacky when it comes to the surfaces on my cars.

D: It's fast and easy. I'm naturally lazy so I like fast and easy.

It might work, but I simply don't have any drive-time with it.

13. Thanks bob m thanked for this post
    Likes bob m, dgage liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike!
    Yep, the guy did all the polish with a machine and cleaned with G4 Glass cleaner before applying anything.
    It seems like it is a common issue with the stock wipers, looking at all MBworld threads with similar complaints I guess he is correct. But for now I don't want to get anything aftermarket.

Anyway over the weekend I am going for reapplication on the wipers and see what will happen. If that doesn't fix it - remove the coating it is, he agreed.

Just a few questions Mike:

1) how long does the sealant you suggest lasts? Just roughly ?
    2) for the side and rear windows ( rear if there is no wiper) - is it safe to put a ceramic glass coating or you would still use only a glass sealant ?

Just thinking if we ever go this way again , we would definitely skip windshield , but probably sides and rear can be coated with ceramic? After all there is nothing to chatter there and I think it definitely improves side visibility? Or just play it safe with all the glass and stick to the sealant every now and then ? What do you think?

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Just a few questions Mike:

1) how long does the sealant you suggest lasts? Just roughly ?
    Just depends on how much you use the wipers.

The problem with glass coatings on the windshield unlike any coating on any other surface is you have this rubber blade dragging and even RUBBING over the coating and this MICRO-ABRADES the coating off.

This is why I choose to use a product that is fast and easy to apply and then apply it as needed. It rains a lot here in Florida but instead of going by a TIMELINE - after I wash and dry my car, I simply mist a little of the PBL Surface Coating onto the windshield, spread until it disapears, (this happens fast), and move on in life.

What I don't want to use is a product that is complicated, time consuming and requires multiple steps.

I kind of share this in my first post in this thread,

For what it's worth, I find most glass coatings do or can make wipers chatter.

I always use Pinnacle Black Label Surface Coating. Works great, no chatter. After 30 mph water flies off the windshield.

The other thing I do and educate others on is when it comes to the windshield, because a RUBBER wiper is going to drag over the glass, it's going to micro-abrade anything you put on it off. It's reality. So instead of looking for a one-and-done or set-it-and-forget-it type product, I look for a product that quick and easy to re-apply.

I already know whatever I put on it is going to wear-off, so I find something that's quick and easy to re-apply.

Make sense?

Then after washing and drying my car, because the Surface Coating is quick and easy to apply - I simply re-apply. It only takes a few mists of product and it spread out and disappears as you wipe it.

Truly a versatile product. I also mist it over all the cars I detail after the initial coating install. It makes rubbery coatings feel slick, smooth and slippery. The stuff is bubba-proof.

FWIW and YMMV

So my answer to your above question is basically a re-wording of what I already wrote.

2) for the side and rear windows ( rear if there is no wiper) - is it safe to put a ceramic glass coating or you would still use only a glass sealant ?
    I put the PBL Surface Coating on ALL the glass including side mirrors and sunroof glass.

Just thinking if we ever go this way again , we would definitely skip windshield , but probably sides and rear can be coated with ceramic? After all there is nothing to chatter there and I think it definitely improves side visibility? Or just play it safe with all the glass and stick to the sealant every now and then ?

What do you think?

Thanks!
    What I think is also what I do and share with others and what I do is I use what works for me and "to date" it's the PBL Surface Coating.

Some people think it's expensive at $130.00 for an 8 ounce bottle and that is a tick spendy. But tiny bottles of ceramic and graphene coatings cost more and you get a LOT less. So in context, it's a better price per ounce than most if not all tiny glass bottles of coatings.

In the past, I've created threads on this forum where there's HUGE sales and then in the thread included my favorite products so my forum friends can get the best deal possible. I could never really tell if it did any good?

So my advice to anyone reading this is to join the Autogeek newsletter. Each time you get one in your inbox - open it and read it. If you don't like what you see delete it. I do this with a LOT of the newsletters I get.

If you see something you like - then take advantage of the sale.

Hope this helps...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast