autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove tree sap

You have a good pointHow to remove tree sap

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks joebruin77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dieselfan1 View Post
    Just use straight alcohol.
    I don't know I'd go that route - I've read/heard about people damaging clearcoat by using too high an alcohol content.

You could try a (premade) paint prep spray as well and see if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

While searching for an article by Mike, I did review his book and Sap is listed in his chapter regarding detailers clay, as an above surface contaminant. I realize in a previous post that you tried a clay mitt, and while those are great, you would have to check the strength of the mitt. Is it light, med or moderate? Most are light unless specified.

Everyone has a different opinion as to what they would apply to their own car or a customers car, I have always been leery of using harsh chemicals not designed by the car-care industry for removing blems. Typically a good amount of R&D goes into car care products. Some off the shelf solvents that were designed for typical household applications not car-care, may have worked for one person, and may cause harm or damage to another vehicle. Not all paint systems are the same. Patients and dwell time has always been my cure.

If it were my car, I would ensure I was in a cool dry place with the sheet metal being cool (not have had sat under sunlight) and give it a good drenching of a waterless wash solution and let it dwell. Go grab a beverage, come back and then drench it some more and let it dwell. Drench and Dwell is a great tactic and will release most above bonded contaminants, requiring only light agitation to remove the remaining stubborn spots.

Next, applying the principle that if I am going to use clay, I better be prepared to polish after, I would then again saturate the surface with waterless wash solution and use a medium to heavy grade clay (not light). Use one that is rated for getting overspray such as road contaminants, paint overspray, etc. You will certainly know the difference in the feel of the clay. The medium-heavy feels much thicker and has a bit of grit to it. Clay, then inspect.... There is a good chance you will need to follow up with a few section passes with a DA and polish.

One key consideration is how long the sap has bonded to the surface. Pine sap will eat into clear coat, so you should be keen to identify the difference in what your clay can remove (above bonded contaminant) and what may be a permanent fixture in the paint.

Patients and dwell time are your friends. Good luck and happy detailing!

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    My method is HEAT GUN. Warm it back up and it just comes off but its a sticky mess lol
    This ^^^^^ with a plastic razor blade. Have not tried tree sap but worked on sticker residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123