autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer Car Service - Preventing Damage

I'm taking photos of all angles of my car before and after when I go to get new tires. I do trust the place that did them last time. Flawless in every regard, buy I'm not going to take any chances.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

2. Likes rover137, dgage, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Dislikes damonb10 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All of this sickens me. I’m a Journeyman Diesel mechanic and have been for over 20 years. I primarily work on class 8 trucks (Big Rigs/Semi’s) and these trucks have more grease and grime on them than any passenger vehicle and I never leave greasy hand prints or grime anywhere. I’m the guy that has to clean the inside of the windshield if it’s hazy just because it bothers me that someone is driving this 20,000 pound truck while pulling a trailer with a dirty windshield. Ugh!
    I will say though, that I have seen some of our lube techs be sloppy, but best believe if I see them working on it, they will rectify it.
    FWIW, if you’re taking your vehicle somewhere for service, demand that that write on your Repair Order “Do Not Wash”. This is what will help when they ruin your perfect paint and hold them liable.

4. Likes PaulMys, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    All of this sickens me. I’m a Journeyman Diesel mechanic and have been for over 20 years. I primarily work on class 8 trucks (Big Rigs/Semi’s) and these trucks have more grease and grime on them than any passenger vehicle and I never leave greasy hand prints or grime anywhere. I’m the guy that has to clean the inside of the windshield if it’s hazy just because it bothers me that someone is driving this 20,000 pound truck while pulling a trailer with a dirty windshield. Ugh!
    I will say though, that I have seen some of our lube techs be sloppy, but best believe if I see them working on it, they will rectify it.
    FWIW, if you’re taking your vehicle somewhere for service, demand that that write on your Repair Order “Do Not Wash”. This is what will help when they ruin your perfect paint and hold them liable.
    Yeah it is a bit much isn't it! I did tell them to 'Do Not Wash' and it was on the order as well as signs i had made up that i placed in the car. The car definitely was not washed - but it did somehow end up with more grease on it than a Big Mac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    Yeah it is a bit much isn't it! I did tell them to 'Do Not Wash' and it was on the order as well as signs i had made up that i placed in the car. The car definitely was not washed - but it did somehow end up with more grease on it than a Big Mac.
    I understand that I’m not the norm when it comes to keeping a truck clean that I’m working on but the blatant disregard for how some techs just fudge things up just gets to me.
    If I ever got my car back from anywhere looking like yours did, I’d tell my wife to keep her phone on her because she may be bailing me out of jail in the near future.

7. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I understand that I’m not the norm when it comes to keeping a truck clean that I’m working on but the blatant disregard for how some techs just fudge things up just gets to me.
    If I ever got my car back from anywhere looking like yours did, I’d tell my wife to keep her phone on her because she may be bailing me out of jail in the near future.
    haha

It is just so frustrating that 30hrs of detailing work can be undone by someone you are paying to service your car in 2 hrs...

9. Likes DFB, Bruno Soares, bob m liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I worked at a BMW new car dealership for several years. Unfortunately a large majority of the employees don't care about keeping your car clean, even when it is a 100k+ car. I'd say your best bet is to send the photos or show the car to the service manager and see how they react to the issue. If he/she seems genuinely concerned, maybe give them another chance. If not, find a new dealership.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alex814 View Post
    I worked at a BMW new car dealership for several years. Unfortunately a large majority of the employees don't care about keeping your car clean, even when it is a 100k+ car. I'd say your best bet is to send the photos or show the car to the service manager and see how they react to the issue. If he/she seems genuinely concerned, maybe give them another chance. If not, find a new dealership.
    Yeah, i think this is what i am leaning towards. The city i am located in within Australia only has one other Hyundai Dealer - I am not opposed to taking it to an independent mechanic (I would actually prefer this), but I miss out on free road side assistance, Nat Sav updates etc.

I guess my new instructions will be - 'Do not wash, do not make the above mess, if said mess is made - do not attempt to clean it up' - getting a bit complicated....

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would update if anyone is interested.

I emailed the dealer with photos. The service manager apologized profusely and said he is ashamed etc and that it should not have happened.

He offered to clean the car for me - this is a big no from me. I have already cleaned it and will not allow them to touch the paint.

Have been offered a tank of fuel as compensation. That is something at least and I appreciate the apology and acknowledgement. Not sure I can be bothered driving there and all of that… but anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123