autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Wash

Review: DP GR4 Graphene Wash

DP GR4 Graphene Wash

What is it?

A car wash made using graphene-ceramic resins ingredients.

What does it do?

Uses high-foaming degreasers it cleans your car while revitalizing graphene surface coatings.

When do I use it?

Anytime your car is dirty and you want to get it clean.

Why should I use it?

To clean and restore graphene coated cars while maintaining a hydrophobic surface.

From the manufacturer

DP GR4 Graphene Wash

DP GR4 Graphene Wash is a washing system that revitalizes graphene surface coatings. Formulated with degreasing agents, DP GR4 Graphene Wash also cleans with its graphene-ceramic resins ingredients. The properties of DP GR4 Graphene Wash remove harmful contaminants, but not affect the hydrophobic surface and the durability the coat provides. You can use DP GR4 Graphene Wash with the traditional bucket system or with a foam gun, cannon or lance.

Graphene coatings are unique in themselves, requiring extra special care. Graphene has special properties that need to be protected, but at the same time, you want to be able to wash your vehicles with maintenance washes. So where is the middle grown? The perfect product to keep your graphene coating properties, but still be able to wash your car, is DP GR4 Graphene Wash.

DP GR4 Graphene Wash is formulated to be a multi-purpose washing liquid designed to not only clean but revitalize graphene coatings. Thanks to graphene-ceramic resin ingredients, DP GR4 Graphene Wash cleans your vehicle's surface that is laid with graphene coatings. Graphene coatings give your surface durability and hydrophobicity, which can sometimes be ruined by wash. But when washing your vehicle with DP GR4 Graphene Wash, these properties are not affected, but enhanced. Besides revitalizing the surface, DP GR4 Graphene Wash is formulated with a high-foaming degreaser that will easily remove even the most stubborn surface staining.

There are a variety of ways to use the DP GR4 Graphene Wash. You can use DP GR4 Graphene Wash in the traditional sense with the bucket method or in a foam gun, lance or cannon. When using it with traditional bucket method, add 3 ounces of DP GR4 Graphene Wash to a 5-gallon bucket and fill with water, using a strong jet of water to activate the suds. Next, take a wash mitt and wash the car, starting from the top and working your way down. Finally, fully rinse the entire car and thoroughly dry. If you are using DP GR4 Graphene Wash in a foam gun, cannon or lance, fill the reservoir with water and add 2 ounces of DP GR4 Graphene Wash. Shake the solution and spray the surface of the vehicle, allowing the foam to dwell for 30 seconds. Do not allow the product to dry on the surface, but instead wash the surface using wash mitt and then rinse and dry thoroughly.

DIRECTIONS:

In a Foam Gun, Cannon, or Lance:

-Fill your reservoir with water and add 2 oz. of DP GR4 Graphene Wash.
    -Gently shake solution to activate the wash.
    -Spray surface of vehicle with foam and allow to dwell for approximately 30 seconds, but do not allow to dry.
    -Wash surface using a wash mitt, starting at the top and working your way down.
    -Rinse fully and thoroughly dry vehicle to avoid water spotting.

In a Traditional Bucket:

-Add 3 oz. of DP GR4 Graphene Wash to a 5-gallon bucket and fill with water.
    -Using a strong jet of water to activate suds.
    -Wash surface using a wash mitt, starting at the top and working your way down.
    -Rinse fully and thoroughly dry vehicle to avoid water spotting.

My lucky day!

It's been a few months since I washed my own car. Yeah I know, I'm a "detailer" - I'm supposed to have a clean car. I agree except this is just a daily driver that takes me from point A to point B and while I like it, it's far from an SIV or any of the monster trucks I've owned in the past. So yeah... if I don't get to it... I don't get to it. I'm normally too busy cleaning and detailing other people's cars leaving no time for my own car.

Multiple ways to use this new product

1. Normal bucket wash
    2. Foam gun
    3. Foam cannon
    4. Foam lance

For this review we're going to use both the traditional wash bucket and also a foam gun.

Foam Gun Mixing

Fill the water reservoir with water first, then add 2 ounces of DP GR4 Graphene Wash. The little blue measuring cup holds approximately 1 ounce of liquid.

Pro Tech Tip

Always mix the soap and water solution thoroughly for best results. To do this I'm using the handle of a Speed Master Wheel Brush.

Then assemble the foam gun or whichever foaming device you're using.

Tighten lid on to reservoir...

Bucket Mixing

When using a traditional bucket wash approach, mix 3 ounces of DP GR4 Graphene Wash with 3-5 gallons of water.

Washing your car

I always recommend washing wheels and tires first for a few specific reasons. After wheels and tires, start at the top and work your way down.

She's a dirty girl...

Look carefully at the dirt level on the paint...

See it?

See the vibrant white color where I've ran the mitt over the paint? Then look in front of this area and you can easily see just how dirty this car was.

For those that might not know - the dark film you see on the paint is ROAD FILM - see my article here.

Moving around the s.u.v.

Dead bugs and road film - if you look you can see the line between the outer area I've moved the mitt over and the inner section that is un-touched.

Rinse well

BOOM! - Clean as a whistle!

If you ever take the IDA Skills Validation Test - one of the questions includes -

What are some areas some detailers miss when washing a car? - The answer? The FUEL DOOR.

Supa clean!

This is called STRETCHING!

After drying the car using the 20" by 40" Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towels, I take one of the towels and wipe clean all the jambs and actually the engine compartment too.

Final results...

Review

Lovely scent
    First - my favorite thing about this car wash is the GRAPE scent. Mmm.... smells good enough to drink.

Real Foaming!
    Most if not all the car washes I've used that have some type of protection ingredient in them, including ceramic, wax, polymer, etc. and this example - graphene - Do NOT create foam or suds. Not even when used with a foaming device. No so with this product. I was pleasantly surprised to see it foamed up really well. AND - we did not juice the reservoir, that is we did not add any extra product. We mixed as instructed on the label and got good foaming action. In the real world, I know I and probably most of you don't actually measure your war wash soap when mixing for any type of wash and use what I call the glug-glug method, which is over-using the product or using more product than the directions state. That's because most of us want LOTS of suds! And of course, we all know, if a little is good... more is better. But again, when mixed at the recommended dilution, and that's using a QUART size foam gun, we had plenty of suds and the video we shot shares.

Excellent cleaning!
    Look - this SUV was dirty. Not just dirty but neglected dirty. When I first read the info about this product and read that it contained foaming degreasers - I was a tick surprised? That seems pretty harsh for a car wash. But I have to say, it worked GREAT! It's as though my car's paint received a chemical-peel. The resulting paint, glass and plastic surfaces came out surgically clean. And whatever water beading was left on the car seem to be still intact.

Overall assessment?
    This is a really nice car wash. If I had bought it, I would be happy and I would buy it again. Because I work for Autogeek, I get a sample to use for free. Lucky me. And my car? She's as clean as a whistle!

Woot woot!

On Autogeek.com

DP Graphene Wash

Cobra Super Plush Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt

Autogeek Half Gallon Foam Gun

5 Gallon Professional Wash Bucket with Grit Guard - CLEAR

Cobra 6 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels, 20 x 40 inches

2. Likes jem7sk, SNP209 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: DP GR4 Graphene Wash

So yesterday Yancy and I were filming a new video and this new video required as a part of showcasing an upcoming product - washing a car. Washing the car was not the point, but a required follow-up to the product.

So we used my Infinity QX30. The car hasn't been washed for a few weeks but it does live under a carport our our Condo, so must of the dirt and dust is from the Leaf Blower when the Lawn Maintenance company comes through each Monday. Of course it has been driven a few times so it did have the normal Bug Splatter here and there, so definitely due for a solid wash plus of course, the wheels always need a thorough cleaning to remove brake dust as well as browning off the tires.

So after filming the new video, (in the video you only see of washing and rinsing the front clip of the car), I finished the job and washed the entire car. I wasn't going to just stop after the front clip, that would be ridiculos.

AFTER washing the car, (yeah, no pictures of me doing the work but take my word for it, no one else did it for me ), I took a few pictures and I'm going to add a few comments that share what I do when I wash my car in case it helps anyone else out there.

F

This is actual pre-wash.

I've rinsed the car down to remove any loose stuff but I haven't actually washed her yet. You can see water beading is excellent and that's because I use a ceramic coating on the paint, glass and plastic.

The rest of these pictures are after washing the car, wheels and tires and then drying the car.

This is called S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G

After drying the outside of the car you open all the doors, hatchback and hood and then clean and dry the jambs and gaskets.

The only thing I've done to the engine is take one of the now-wet 20" by 40" Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towels and wiped the engine compartment with it. I use the rinse water already IN the Guzzler to wipe down all the jambs and the engine compartment.

This engine compartment is never very dirty BECAUSE I do this each time I wash the car. Because I do this each time I wash the car - it never gets that dirty. Make sense?

Here's all the door jambs and hatchback jambs wiped down. This includes all the paint, the rubber gaskets and also wiping the sides or edges of the doors and the hatchback.

Fuel door is always opened, washed and rinsed and then blow-out.

All areas of the hatchback jambs including the struts get wiped down.

Here's what I used... I keep it simple but effective.
    '

5-gallon bucket with Grit Guard Insert, Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt, the new GR4 Graphene Wash and two 20" by 40 Guzzlers.

I always wash wheels and tires first, not pictured is the Autogeek Knee N' Back Pad, which I like to sit on when cleaning the wheels and tires.

Machine cleaning tires is the only way to go. If you use rotary polishers for paint correction but don't own a Cordless FLEX PE14, here's your excuse to get one. They are the best machine scrubbing machine you can buy and because they are cordless you don't have to worry about getting shocked when using a power tool around WATER.

NEVER use the soap water bucket for body panels to dip your wheel and tire brushed into. Why? Because you could contaminate the water with metallic particles from the brake dust that could scratch the paint.

Final results...

This is WASH ONLY - nothing else applied to the paint.

I like the Pinnacle Vinyl Rubber CLEANER & Conditioner because since it has a cleaner in it - this makes it an All-in-One. That is, whether I hand or machine apply it, it cleans, conditions and protects in one step and never leaves a greasy, oily shine behind. Just a matte, black finish like rubber is supposed to look like.

I get it, most of you like a darker black finish and I'm good with whatever you like. But me? I want something water based that easy to remove BECAUSE I know the tire is going to get dirty and I want something on it that is EASY to remove and thus clean. It's a different way of thinking about tire shine that's not for everyone.

The DP Graphene Wash did a great job of cleaning the car and maintaining the coating.

The most common question I get after installing a ceramic coating to a car is,

How do I take care if it?

The answer is, wash and dry carefully with a quality car wash. If you do that, the coating should last and protect as well as impart that glassy look for years.

4. Likes Texchappy, jem7sk liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued...

Most car washes that contain extra ingredients for various purposes DON'T work well in foam guns. Not so with the DP GR4 Graphene Wash.

Yancy and I measured this car wash out as the directions recommended and obtained excellent foaming action.

6. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you used this with a foam gun. If only this product came in gallons, it could readily be used with the extreme foam gun method.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

Do the suds dissipate quickly like a silica infused wash? Always feels like I am just slopping around water with any silica infused soap which is why I don't like to use them.

They hold up as good as most normal car washes. This is what surprised me. I expected the suds to simply dispensary in a few seconds.

They're not going to compete against a dedicated "foam soap".

If you watch the video, the foam you see me spraying is from 2 ounces of soap in a QUART jug of water. In the real world, I normally break all the dilution rules and add more soap because I like more suds.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks Mike.

Do the suds dissipate quickly like a silica infused wash? Always feels like I am just slopping around water with any silica infused soap which is why I don't like to use them.

They hold up as good as most normal car washes. This is what surprised me. I expected the suds to simply dispensary in a few seconds.

They're not going to compete against a dedicated "foam soap".

If you watch the video, the foam you see me spraying is from 2 ounces of soap in a QUART jug of water. In the real world, I normally break all the dilution rules and add more soap because I like more suds.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I noticed you said it has been a few months since washing the DD and you had bug guts on the front. How long has it been since you cleaned the guts off and how did you do it if it wasn't a regular wash? The bugs have etched the heck out of my front bumper.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post

Mike, I noticed you said it has been a few months since washing the DD and you had bug guts on the front. How long has it been since you cleaned the guts off and how did you do it if it wasn't a regular wash? The bugs have etched the heck out of my front bumper.
    Good question.

The car is driven very little, so even after a few months, not a lot of highway time.

I think one of the bugs did etch the paint, I'll look when I get home.

12. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I think one of the bugs did etch the paint, I'll look when I get home.
    I just looked, and yup... there's a few etchings on the front of the car.

I could remove them with a little #5000 Trizact by hand and then buff but I probably won't. It's a "daily driver" and it's just not that big of a deal. Will see.

14. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Shared here,

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Road Film

Road film is the oily film splattered all over your car when you drive in the rain.