autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How's Megs 105, LC 5" Cyan HydroFoam pad and PC 7424 combo

Trying to speed up the process a little at polishing my paint with the PC (mine is older pre XP). Would the combo of Megs 105 and LC 5" Cyan pads work good with the PC for a polish or would it be to abrasive on my softer Subaru paint? I've done a test spot and it came out good. Just thinking that the PC is not that powerful and this might reduce my passes with more abrasive combo. I run the PC on 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How's Megs 105, LC 5" Cyan HydroFoam pad and PC 7424 combo

M105 is not something I'd reach for on Subaru paint.

But then again M105 is not something I'd reach for on any paint nowadays.

The problem with Subaru paint is not so much that it's soft (it is), or thin (might be), it's that it can be sticky. Certain compounds and polishes just don't play well with it.

I've had success with the newer Sonax polishes on Subaru paint. I can't remember if it was Menzerna or the now discontinued Optimum polishes that stuck like glue after 10 seconds of buffing.

If the test spot looks good, you need that level of correction, and you're not finding that the product is sticking to the paint while polishing then go for it.

Are you planning on following it up with a second step? I've never had M105 finish down well enough for LSP. I'm sure someone has but my guess is they may have different standards than I do. I find it hard to believe that it'll finish down nice enough on Subaru paint.

3. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    M105 is not something I'd reach for on Subaru paint.

But then again M105 is not something I'd reach for on any paint nowadays.

The problem with Subaru paint is not so much that it's soft (it is), or thin (might be), it's that it can be sticky. Certain compounds and polishes just don't play well with it.

I've had success with the newer Sonax polishes on Subaru paint. I can't remember if it was Menzerna or the now discontinued Optimum polishes that stuck like glue after 10 seconds of buffing.

If the test spot looks good, you need that level of correction, and you're not finding that the product is sticking to the paint while polishing then go for it.

Are you planning on following it up with a second step? I've never had M105 finish down well enough for LSP. I'm sure someone has but my guess is they may have different standards than I do. I find it hard to believe that it'll finish down nice enough on Subaru paint.
    Yeah, it finished down fine IMO. I tested it with the 205 and 3D Speed and it looked just as good. The biggest problem with my paint is it has orange peel but no swirls or scratches. I think I will save the 105 for correction and use the 205 for polishing with the Cyan pad. I was just looking for a quicker 2 pass option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Trying to speed up the process a little at polishing my paint with the PC (mine is older pre XP). Would the combo of Megs 105 and LC 5" Cyan pads work good with the PC for a polish or would it be to abrasive on my softer Subaru paint? I've done a test spot and it came out good. Just thinking that the PC is not that powerful and this might reduce my passes with more abrasive combo. I run the PC on 6.
    You've answered your own question with the sentence I bolded.

6. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

no swirls or scratches.
    Not very often you need to 2 step something with no swirls or scratches. Stick with your M205 or 3D Speed.

What are your goals with the car?

If you want to cut down on number of passes just do fewer passes with M205. It's a SMAT polish so you can work it as little or as long as you want. And since you are not trying to correct swirls or scratches I don't think it'll take very long at all to make it glossy and shiny.

8. Likes jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Not very often you need to 2 step something with no swirls or scratches. Stick with your M205 or 3D Speed.

What are your goals with the car?

If you want to cut down on number of passes just do fewer passes with M205. It's a SMAT polish so you can work it as little or as long as you want. And since you are not trying to correct swirls or scratches I don't think it'll take very long at all to make it glossy and shiny.
    Yeah, that makes sense now that I think about it. I was just trying to cut down on time spend polishing. I'll try a big section with both and see which ones turn out the best.

My biggest concern is will it actually remove a lot of clear being a PC? My guess is no.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern is will it actually remove a lot of clear being a PC? My guess is no.
    Will M105 remove more clear than M205? Yes. Will it remove too much? Hard to say without measuring before and after on a test spot using the process you plan to use on the whole car.

Personally I think the concern over removing clear is a little over blown and causes more worry than it really should. Especially if you are working on your own cars. Once you correct them once you should not be putting major defects back into them so only polishing that removes very little clear should ever be needed afterward.

I always measure paint thickness before/after when I do more than just a light polish and very little clear comes off the car typically. And many times the difference is within the margin of error of my gauge. I understand that may not be everyone's experience though and perhaps they are doing very heavy corrections with a process that can really remove clear at a high rate.

I do subscribe to using the least amount of aggressiveness necessary to get the job done properly. That is more from the perspective that typically the less aggressive method is also easier to work with, faster to finish, and produces better finishing results.

I would choose which polish to use based on paint condition, desired results, ease of use, etc. M205 is much easier to work with than M105. M205 will dust a lot less than M105. M205 will leave a better finish. M105 will correct defects quicker, but will also leave some of it's own.

The tool you are using is not very aggressive itself. The pad is another factor as well as your technique with the tool.

11. Likes PaulMys, jem7sk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I run the PC on 6.
    I don’t own a PC, but can’t imagine the need to run any polisher on speed 6 unless I was trying to sand headlights on Corvette or something similarly impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I don’t own a PC, but can’t imagine the need to run any polisher on speed 6 unless I was trying to sand headlights on Corvette or something similarly impossible.
    Get your hands on one with a decent sized pad and you will understand my friend.
    Great machine for soft/finicky paints and for applying wax. Don’t get me wrong, you can cut with one if it’s paired with a MF cutting pad. Just don’t be in a rush.

14. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, jem7sk, The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    This is the recommended speed per Mike Phillips. He says to apply the product on speed 4 and then bump up to speed 6. I guess it is that underpowered, yet it does a great job polishing, it just takes longer. I was hoping to speed up the process with more abrasive compounds and pads. I guess I will have to experiment as there are not a lot of folks here who use them.

The PC does a great job with 3" pads for correction for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast