autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me keep it quick and simple with my PC and Subarus

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Any low profile pads in particular that are best with Porter Cable? I'm guessing the Meguiars pads are low profile?
    Not familiar with Meguiar's foam pads but from the description... they are low profile. Yellow is their polishing and red is their cutting. I seldom go beyond a light cutting foam pad for an AIO. I have however used a MF cutting/polishing pad like the B&S Uro fiber for a one step on hard paint with good success.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

How soon can I follow up with a sealant after the HD Speed? I'm also curious to know the easiest way to maintain it afterward? Would it be ok to just use Optiseal as a drying aid after the first wash after the HD Speed and keep using Optiseal this way?

Post Thanks / Like

That would work. But if you are going through all the trouble of applying sealants after polishing then I wouldn't use an AIO.

I would probably use 3D ONE to polish and then apply the sealant of your choice and then maintain with Optiseal if that's what you want to do.

4. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    That would work. But if you are going through all the trouble of applying sealants after polishing then I wouldn't use an AIO.

I would probably use 3D ONE to polish and then apply the sealant of your choice and then maintain with Optiseal if that's what you want to do.
    If I go AIO how should I maintain it?

Post Thanks / Like

If I go AIO how should I maintain it?
    What you described is fine.

Typically AIOs are used for speed work. Even 3D calls their product Speed. They allow for a light polish, perhaps a little bit of filler, and a short lived wax/sealant protection all in one step. So you can get the job done quicker but you're really not getting the best of any single action.

You can do what you asked about. No issues there.

I'm just saying I wouldn't use an AIO if I planned on applying a sealant. I would use a dedicated polish and then the sealant. But there is nothing wrong with what you want to do. People layer sealants all the time. So if you wanted to use Speed's Montan Wax as your base level a protection and then add another sealant on top go for it.

If I am applying protection I would always want my most durable product on first. Then add whatever else on top to either extend protection, add gloss, hydrophobics, etc.

There are a ton a products to choose from. Search around the forum a bit to see what members prefer to use and why.

Right now I'm polishing my newer RAM 1500 with a light polish, then I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating to protect it, then I'm going to maintain it with M799 (Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is essentially a diluted version of M799 so that can be used as well).

Really there are so many "toppers" that can be used to extend the life of a base level of protection. Some of these newer spray protection products are more durable then old school waxes and sealants.

I would decide on what you want your protection and maintenance to be (wax, sealant, hybrid sealant/coating, coating) then that might help you to decide on whether you want to use an AIO polish product.

If you plan on applying a coating then you do not want the wax from an AIO on your paint as it prevents the coating from bonding to the paint.

7. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    What you described is fine.

Typically AIOs are used for speed work. Even 3D calls their product Speed. They allow for a light polish, perhaps a little bit of filler, and a short lived wax/sealant protection all in one step. So you can get the job done quicker but you're really not getting the best of any single action.

You can do what you asked about. No issues there.

I'm just saying I wouldn't use an AIO if I planned on applying a sealant. I would use a dedicated polish and then the sealant. But there is nothing wrong with what you want to do. People layer sealants all the time. So if you wanted to use Speed's Montan Wax as your base level a protection and then add another sealant on top go for it.

If I am applying protection I would always want my most durable product on first. Then add whatever else on top to either extend protection, add gloss, hydrophobics, etc.

There are a ton a products to choose from. Search around the forum a bit to see what members prefer to use and why.

Right now I'm polishing my newer RAM 1500 with a light polish, then I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating to protect it, then I'm going to maintain it with M799 (Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is essentially a diluted version of M799 so that can be used as well).

Really there are so many "toppers" that can be used to extend the life of a base level of protection. Some of these newer spray protection products are more durable then old school waxes and sealants.

I would decide on what you want your protection and maintenance to be (wax, sealant, hybrid sealant/coating, coating) then that might help you to decide on whether you want to use an AIO polish product.

If you plan on applying a coating then you do not want the wax from an AIO on your paint as it prevents the coating from bonding to the paint.
    I think I see what you are saying about using the polish and follow up immediately with a sealant. That has always been something that has bothered me about the AIO. It doesn't last long and yet you can't follow it right away with wax or sealant. It needs a couple of days to cure.. and by that time my car would need to be washed again. I think I'd rather use a polish followed immediately with a long lasting sealant and get it over with while the car is still prepped and clean.

9. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I see what you are saying about using the polish and follow up immediately with a sealant. That has always been something that has bothered me about the AIO. It doesn't last long and yet you can't follow it right away with wax or sealant. It needs a couple of days to cure.. and by that time my car would need to be washed again. I think I'd rather use a polish followed immediately with a long lasting sealant and get it over with while the car is still prepped and clean.
    Longevity of any LSP is relative, subjective, and environmentally conditional. 3-6 months, 6-12 months, 1-2 years, or 2-5 years. A daily driver that sits outdoor will unlikely see the durability claims by the manufacturers unless it is routinely maintenance with a comparable product (most will come in the form of a sealant, wax, or ceramic spray after every wash).

A product like 3D Speed will leave a little wax behind as LSP and I am hearing BF One Step does the same but with a sealant. Overwhelmingly, AIO requires very little time to set up. Most are within the hour and I haven't used one that takes days since it defeat the purpose of it. AIO meant to gives you a fast way to a good result. It's a bit of a jack of all trades... it corrects a little, fills a little, and it leaves a little protection behind. If seeking perfection or close to it...this is the wrong product and the wrong approach. A true one step with a polish then LSP in general will most likely to gives you a bit more corrections and durability but it comes with a price..... TIME.

The best candidate for an AIO is a vehicle that has light defects or dull paint. A good AIO would do quick work on such vehicle with ease. Expectations beyond this might leads to some disappointments. I been layering 303 graphene spray on top of Speed and I am seeing 4+ (so far) months of protection. My DD is such example as well as a few cars I maintenance through out the year. I go directly to 303 after removing the residual from Speed.

11. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    Longevity of any LSP is relative, subjective, and environmentally conditional. 3-6 months, 6-12 months, 1-2 years, or 2-5 years. A daily driver that sits outdoor will unlikely see the durability claims by the manufacturers unless it is routinely maintenance with a comparable product (most will come in the form of a sealant, wax, or ceramic spray after every wash).

A product like 3D Speed will leave a little wax behind as LSP and I am hearing BF One Step does the same but with a sealant. Overwhelmingly, AIO requires very little time to set up. Most are within the hour and I haven't used one that takes days since it defeat the purpose of it. AIO meant to gives you a fast way to a good result. It's a bit of a jack of all trades... it corrects a little, fills a little, and it leaves a little protection behind. If seeking perfection or close to it...this is the wrong product and the wrong approach. A true one step with a polish then LSP in general will most likely to gives you a bit more corrections and durability but it comes with a price..... TIME.

The best candidate for an AIO is a vehicle that has light defects or dull paint. A good AIO would do quick work on such vehicle with ease. Expectations beyond this might leads to some disappointments. I been layering 303 graphene spray on top of Speed and I am seeing 4+ (so far) months of protection. My DD is such example as well as a few cars I maintenance through out the year. I go directly to 303 after removing the residual from Speed.
    Do you reapply Speed after that 4+ months or do you just top it again with the 303 Grahene Spray?

Is there a wash that will give you added protection when you wash the car so you never loose protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Help me keep it quick and simple with my PC and Subarus

Do you reapply Speed after that 4+ months
    I'm going to hit on the word apply here. Perhaps this is not the what you meant but I'll post any way.

You do not apply a polish. Think of polish as liquid sandpaper. You polish to mechanically abrade clearcoat to remove defects and bring the paint to a nice glossy/reflective shine.

Then you apply a protectant after you polish.

Speed is a light polish and light protection being done at the same time.

If you only need more protection and you do not want to remove more clearcoat I wouldn't grab Speed again (some might). I would grab a protection product and apply that again.

At a certain point you'll need to polish the surface again just to remove old waxes and sealants, oxidation, etc so your protection will bond to the paint.

14. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you reapply Speed after that 4+ months or do you just top it again with the 303 Grahene Spray?

Is there a wash that will give you added protection when you wash the car so you never loose protection?
    The answer is... it depends. If there are no defects like bird dropping etching, hard water spots, or marrings then I will just reapply the LSP.

There are so many car washes in the market that would leave a little protection behind. It really depends on what you like. I like my soap to only clean and not leave anything behind but I would use a LSP comparable spray sealant as a drying aid to add a little more protection. As far as a recommendation.... I have CarPro Reload, ECH2O, and a few others. I dont expect long term durability from any of them so it generally boils down to whatever closest to me or something I want to use up. I am considering trying out the DP Graphene quick detailer. LOL.

16. Thanks jem7sk thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast