autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail over multiple weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    I will be polishing in gaps of 1-2 weeks apart from the previous session on weekends only, so the coating on the panels that have been done should be cured by then. At least 7 days will pass before I have another polishing session. Also throwing on reload where I have coated for water protection in the first 24-48 hrs as this car lives outside as well.

Haha yeah there are a lot of products around today that weren’t 10-15 years ago. Makes you wonder how much of a necessity some things really are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For those interested I have finally finished and it took me 2 weeks in the end over 2 sessions.

2 weekends ago I had the car Saturday arvo so I did a full decon wash, tar x, iron x etc and brushed out badges, trims and gave the wheels a proper cleaning. Not much iron seemed (car is white) to be on the car which was good.

The next day (Sunday) I got the car for around 8 hrs (lucky me) and wiped down the panels I was going to work on with eraser, QD and some waterless wash (prob went overboard here). I worked on the roof, bonnet (hood for you American folk), front bumper and both quarter panels. Paint was in decent shape and I really struggled to see defects despite using an expensive handheld light with multiple color temps and well as other portable lighting I have. Car is around 10 months old and I’ve always used good wash technique and it has always had some form of protection. I clayed, polished with S30 and an orange Lake country SDO pad and did 2 coats of CarPro lite and a coat of Reload.

2 weeks later I got the car on a Sunday morning for the remainder of the day. Washed and clayed remaining panels (passenger and drivers side, all pillars and rear bumper). Coating didn’t reveal many contaminants either time. Car was clayed 5 months ago. I then polished and again 2 coats of Lite and reload. This took 9-10 hrs. All up about a 17-18hr process, with time obviously being added for a second wash and other steps thats wouldn’t be needed if doing it in one go. I think I’ve become more efficient but also I did put a lot more effort into the polishing phase for my car as it is soft black paint and was a lot more time consuming.

So, it’s been 48 hrs since coating and it is pouring down rain outside Detail over multiple weeks? think this should be ok?

4. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    For those interested I have finally finished and it took me 2 weeks in the end over 2 sessions.

2 weekends ago I had the car Saturday arvo so I did a full decon wash, tar x, iron x etc and brushed out badges, trims and gave the wheels a proper cleaning. Not much iron seemed (car is white) to be on the car which was good.

The next day (Sunday) I got the car for around 8 hrs (lucky me) and wiped down the panels I was going to work on with eraser, QD and some waterless wash (prob went overboard here). I worked on the roof, bonnet (hood for you American folk), front bumper and both quarter panels. Paint was in decent shape and I really struggled to see defects despite using an expensive handheld light with multiple color temps and well as other portable lighting I have. Car is around 10 months old and I’ve always used good wash technique and it has always had some form of protection. I clayed, polished with S30 and an orange Lake country SDO pad and did 2 coats of CarPro lite and a coat of Reload.

2 weeks later I got the car on a Sunday morning for the remainder of the day. Washed and clayed remaining panels (passenger and drivers side, all pillars and rear bumper). Coating didn’t reveal many contaminants either time. Car was clayed 5 months ago. I then polished and again 2 coats of Lite and reload. This took 9-10 hrs. All up about a 17-18hr process, with time obviously being added for a second wash and other steps thats wouldn’t be needed if doing it in one go. I think I’ve become more efficient but also I did put a lot more effort into the polishing phase for my car as it is soft black paint and was a lot more time consuming.

So, it’s been 48 hrs since coating and it is pouring down rain outside Detail over multiple weeks? think this should be ok?

Phew, that's a lotta work - sounds like your car has been taken care of. 48 hours should be more than enough time for rain not to effect it.

6. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! It was my wife’s car. I’m more worried about water spots but it is 11pm here and the car is parked in the street... oh well what can you do?

Post Thanks / Like

I am happy to hear you finished your project. Just rinseless wash or a regular wash after the rain stop and you should be ok.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I am happy to hear you finished your project. Just rinseless wash or a regular wash after the rain stop and you should be ok.
    Thank you! I don’t think I will get a chance to wash it for 4-5 days. Oh well, hopefully Reload does it’s job and protects it from water spots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123