autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detail over multiple weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by rover137 View Post
    Work, family and all the other
    commitments in life sometimes
    don’t allow for a whole 8-10 hrs
    in one lot dedicated to detailing.
    ”Sometimes all you can do
    is all you can do”
    ~Mike Phillips

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

2. Likes bill walsh, rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You may have different darkening between the panels from one day to another for a period of time. If this is all you can do in your current situation then go with your plan and post up feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Planning on just putting some sort of QD (with protection) or quick wax on the car after the decon to see it through to polishing. Ideally I’d like to strip it during decon and polish the paint stripped, but then the car would be sitting with no protection on some panels for 5-6 weeks or so. Going to have to rely on the polishing process to remove the ‘light’ temporary protection on each panel each weekend.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reload on the entire vehicle on weekend 1 would be ideal - or a cheap spray wax you can get at a retail store; even Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray. And it will be removed when you polish.

5. Likes rover137 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I only have a tiny bottle of reload, maybe just enough to do the car after coating each panel. I think it is the 100ml one.

I have heaps of other stuff though - megs ceramic detailer, Elixir, a few different spray waxes etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You may have different darkening between the panels from one day to another for a period of time. If this is all you can do in your current situation then go with your plan and post up feedback.
    I don’t mind too much, I don’t usually see the car all that often unless I’m working on it haha it’s parked on the street.

I did a decon wash yesterday arvo, not much fallout really. Car is around 9 months old and it had a proper decon and clay about 4 months ago.

Hopefully can get 3-4 hrs this arvo with it!

Post Thanks / Like

To OP...

I been in your shoes. Over a decade ago, I only have one vehicle at the time and I used it everyday for work. I split up the process vey similar to what you are considering. I washed the vehicle on day 1 then I worked on one panel (start to finish from correction to protection) a day. I applied a cheap spray wax to the vehicle after the initial wash since Spray waxes in general are much easier to remove than a sealant. Prior to working on a panel, I would wash the panel with a waterless wash (ONR was the only game in town at that point) then clayed with ONR and followed by a wipe down with Wurth Clean Prep. I corrected the panel then applied a LSP. I did this for about week and a half.

After a full day at work, an hour spent on the vehicle wasnt too bad. It can be done .... it just takes a little patience and planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    To OP...

I been in your shoes. Over a decade ago, I only have one vehicle at the time and I used it everyday for work. I split up the process vey similar to what you are considering. I washed the vehicle on day 1 then I worked on one panel (start to finish from correction to protection) a day. I applied a cheap spray wax to the vehicle after the initial wash since Spray waxes in general are much easier to remove than a sealant. Prior to working on a panel, I would wash the panel with a waterless wash (ONR was the only game in town at that point) then clayed with ONR and followed by a wipe down with Wurth Clean Prep. I corrected the panel then applied a LSP. I did this for about week and a half.

After a full day at work, an hour spent on the vehicle wasnt too bad. It can be done .... it just takes a little patience and planning.
    Thanks for that. Think I will do similar to what you have except I might wash the whole car before each panel as it lives outside and 1-2 weeks could pass before getting to it again.

I need to buy some ONR actually, I have heard it is good stuff and very versatile.

I have a bunch of spray waxes I could use after the initial wash but I might not need it. I did a decon wash yesterday and the car previously had some of the Megs Ceramic Weax spray on it from 5-6 months ago. It was holding up everywhere except for the bottom panels in a few places. I just gave those places a quick hit with the Megs ceramic detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that. Think I will do similar to what you have except I might wash the whole car before each panel as it lives outside and 1-2 weeks could pass before getting to it again.

I need to buy some ONR actually, I have heard it is good stuff and very versatile.

I have a bunch of spray waxes I could use after the initial wash but I might not need it. I did a decon wash yesterday and the car previously had some of the Megs Ceramic Weax spray on it from 5-6 months ago. It was holding up everywhere except for the bottom panels in a few places. I just gave those places a quick hit with the Megs ceramic detailer.

I think washing the entire car everyday prior might not be a good idea since you are planning to coat it. Most coating needs 7 days to cure and no water on it for 24 hours.

BTW... I didnt use an iron remover back then. Iron remover wasnt a thing back then and I had no garage at the time either. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Detail over multiple weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I think washing the entire car everyday prior might not be a good idea since you are planning to coat it. Most coating needs 7 days to cure and no water on it for 24 hours.

BTW... I didnt use an iron remover back then. Iron remover wasnt a thing back then and I had no garage at the time either. LOL
    I will be polishing in gaps of 1-2 weeks apart from the previous session on weekends only, so the coating on the panels that have been done should be cured by then. At least 7 days will pass before I have another polishing session. Also throwing on reload where I have coated for water protection in the first 24-48 hrs as this car lives outside as well.

Haha yeah there are a lot of products around today that weren’t 10-15 years ago. Makes you wonder how much of a necessity some things really are.

Post Thanks / Like

And getting the coated panels wet isn’t an issue with rinseless or waterless.

13. Thanks rover137 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast