autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting Compounds

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cutmax has no dusting out of all of them. So if that is something you prefer then that is the one to go with. It is a great compound.

The UltraCut is nice. CarPro did their homework on this one and got it right. Leagues above their clearcut compound.

I would do a test spot with what you have. In saying that I would upgrade your compound(s) to any of the ones I recommended.

You will not miss M105.
    Good choices listed by Guz.

I practically gave my M105 away! Don't miss it at all, though it did well for me when I was starting off in 2014 or so.

2. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Fast Correcting Cream works great, removes very easily, and has zero dusting.

Price is usually around $22 for 16oz bottle.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have narrowed my choices to Cut max and Menzerna 400

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    I have narrowed my choices to Cut max and Menzerna 400

Cutmax is one of most aggressive compound I ever worked with. Low to no dusting and easy wipe off.

To be honest.... I am not sure that's what you want to start with. I noticed in the last couple years that I rarely have to break out the heavy compound on most vehicles. 8 to 9 years ago, the talk was all about rocks in the bottle (SMAT vs DAT) and how to deal with hard ceramic clear. Todays clear are thinner as well as softer than before and abrasive technology had advanced tremendously. A paint depth gauge was an uncommon item and now anyone could get one off amazon. The approach of most todays reputable detailers are more in the preservation side rather than the pound and grind of years past. I was in the "pound and grind" camp years ago also. My approach has evolved since then.

3D One has been my go to for most cars since I can vary the result by using different pads to suit my need without taking off too much clear. Once the clear is gone... its gone forever.

7. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand where your wisdom abounds from. I could not capture a proper photo but one of my imperfections I will be dealing with. From my research, cutting compounds are pad dependent to an extent. I do not wish to remove to much Clear coat. I do want the eye sore gone. I will investigate 3D for myself. Thank you Sir Cutting Compounds

Post Thanks / Like

So I read lots of reviews on "A" the big online store that sells EVERYTHING. Saw photos of severe paint correction. 3D one is a quality product. The rabbit hole I have entered.

Post Thanks / Like

So I read lots of reviews on "A" the big online store that sells EVERYTHING. Saw photos of severe paint correction. 3D one is a quality product. The rabbit hole I have entered.

For the most part, all liquid abrasives are pad dependent. I've seen people use Menzerna FG400 with a light polishing pad and I've seen people use Optimum Hyper Polish with a microfiber cutting pad and both techniques delivered some damn good results. This is why we have test spots, to test what pad and abrasive will work best on that paint system.

3D One is a very good product. Another product similar to 3D One is Turtle Wax "One and Done" compound. 3D's product is advertised as removing up to 1500 grit sanding marks and Turtle Wax's product is advertised as removing up to 1000 grit sanding marks. Both products use great abrasive technology. Turtle Wax's product costs a couple extra bucks.

I have used both products and the One and Done gets the slight edge in my book due to easier wipe off and a more pleasant scent. You can't really go wrong with either product, in my humble opinion.

Further down the rabbit hole you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SNP209 View Post
    For the most part, all liquid abrasives are pad dependent. I've seen people use Menzerna FG400 with a light polishing pad and I've seen people use Optimum Hyper Polish with a microfiber cutting pad and both techniques delivered some damn good results. This is why we have test spots, to test what pad and abrasive will work best on that paint system.

3D One is a very good product. Another product similar to 3D One is Turtle Wax "One and Done" compound. 3D's product is advertised as removing up to 1500 grit sanding marks and Turtle Wax's product is advertised as removing up to 1000 grit sanding marks. Both products use great abrasive technology. Turtle Wax's product costs a couple extra bucks.

I have used both products and the One and Done gets the slight edge in my book due to easier wipe off and a more pleasant scent. You can't really go wrong with either product, in my humble opinion.

Further down the rabbit hole you go.
    My pad selection is good. Denim, microfiber, wool, foam from Meguiars, CG, Lake Country. Autogeek is having a sale which has my attention. 3d One is number one on my list for size of bottle for the price. I am impressed with the results I have watched on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My pad selection is good. Denim, microfiber, wool, foam from Meguiars, CG, Lake Country. Autogeek is having a sale which has my attention. 3d One is number one on my list for size of bottle for the price. I am impressed with the results I have watched on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    I corrected the hood on my car with 3D One and a Griot's BOSS orange pad then followed up with a BOSS yellow pad before applying a ceramic coating. Results were phenomenal! You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

13. Thanks Buster906 thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I almost forgot....

You have HD Speed in your picture.

HD Speed is now 3D Speed. I do believe they updated the abrasives from HD Speed and its the little cousin to 3D One. Here is a post I did back in December using 3D Speed as the only liquid. My point is this.... you dont have to bring out the hammer every time on every paint system.

2018 Range Rover Evoque....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast