autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Customer comment..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric7810 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, very very helpful.

He is a co worker of mine (I detail as a side job). He was asking about my detail gig, as the weather here in Michigan is starting to turn. I asked if his own car could use some love, and that’s when he insisted it was too old.

I think he’s just a tire kicker, but his comment made me realize I didn’t have a response ready for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Translation: I drive old cars for a variety of reasons and one of those reasons is because I don't want to spend any money on the upkeep. Move on, not worth your time. Certainly don't work for free or a discount to prove a point. That customer doesn't value his vehicle, your time and is never going to be a source of future income. Believe me when I tell you that people that actually value your time, book appointments with you constantly, pay your price and a hefty tip typically don't send much business your way, it's not coming for someone you had to convince to let you do the work at a discount.

2. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Makes me think of a lesson my mom taught when I was young. She told me to sweep the floor of our close to being condemned house. Being a troubled teenager I told her "no, this house sucks!" to which she came down the hallway grabbed the broom and said as she beat me with the broom once between each word " THIS HOUSE MIGHT NOT BE MUCH BUT ITS GOING TO BE CLEAN NOW YOU GET YOUR A$$ SWEEPING!" So yeah, just because the car is old does not mean it cannot be clean. Long story good point! IMO
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

4. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hoyt66 View Post
    Makes me think of a lesson my mom taught when I was young. She told me to sweep the floor of our close to being condemned house. Being a troubled teenager I told her "no, this house sucks!" to which she came down the hallway grabbed the broom and said as she beat me with the broom once between each word " THIS HOUSE MIGHT NOT BE MUCH BUT ITS GOING TO BE CLEAN NOW YOU GET YOUR A$$ SWEEPING!" So yeah, just because the car is old does not mean it cannot be clean. Long story good point! IMO
    That's about the best response here!

... and the sales guy was also correct. If the customer can't find value in your service for his product, he won't bite.

Post Thanks / Like

I see it as pointless to pursue this "customer". His words were few but expressed volumes of telling information.
    Rick....now in North Texas

7. Thanks Eric7810 thanked for this post
    Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If he is a co-worker you will see him often, so show him a few before and after photos of your work. Even if he doesn't go ahead with his own car he may still recommend you to others. If your work is good you won't need to go chasing business.

Don't ever offer free service or discounts as that will be expected of you until the day you retire.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm not a pro and would end up doing the car for him for free if I *did* convince him, I'd go with "Yeah...you're probably right".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12