autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Collinite No. 845 Insulator Wax

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    I've heard about the rehazing. Isn't that resolved by washing it? Granted, that's another step you wouldn't otherwise have to do.
    Yeah it washes right away or wipes with some QD, but imagine spending a day making the car perfect, then taking it out for a hot night on the town and it looks like you didn't wipe your wax off. Lol.

It's awesome stuff, but that outweighed the benefits for me and it happened consistently, not a fluke.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    This car will be on display at a local car show this Saturday, I'll find out where and if I can - go take a look.

Never heard of that before? I certainly didn't see any ghosting or re-hazing on the paint in the garage and I inspected with a Swirl Finder Light.

Yeah, it won't happen until it gets out in the sun!

On a light colored car you'd never noticed, but you'll (hopefully not) see what I mean. It's frustrating to say the least. Like I said other than that I love the product.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I used 845 for many years before I got hooked on coatings. It's a great sealant and really durable.

I too experienced the "ghosting" or "hazing". From my experience it only happens in really warm conditions. I'd apply the 845 to my black car and it would look amazing. A few days later after sitting out in the blazing summer sun at work I'd find hazy patches all over the car. It would wipe off with QD and a soft towel, or go away after a wash, but it happened pretty consistently for me on a newly applied vehicle.

Another note to those wanting to use 845 in cooler temperatures: It WILL solidify and need to be warmed up to enable the shaking Mike mentioned and allow it to be applied. In temperatures in the lower 60's, I found setting the bottle outside in direct sunlight would warm it enough to do the trick. I'd set out the bottle while I was washing the vehicle, and by the time I was done, the 845 would have returned to being a liquid. Anything 60F and below, you'll need to stick it in a bucket of hot water or some other means to thaw it out and/or keep it warm. I've read of people using baby bottle warmers to do the trick.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of people warming this up and spraying it on......have anyone tried this approach?

Post Thanks / Like

In order to keep it from clogging up a sprayer, I'd think you'd have to keep it pretty warm the entire time you are working.

I've applied it using a waxing pad and a DA. It's really fast/easy and allows you to put down a really smooth, even, thin layer.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cleankat View Post

It's a good wax, but I had to stop using it. The ghosting and re-hazing is beyond annoying.

You'll realize that one that puppy get out in the sun and heats up.

Yeah it washes right away or wipes with some QD, but imagine spending a day making the car perfect, then taking it out for a hot night on the town and it looks like you didn't wipe your wax off. Lol.

It's awesome stuff, but that outweighed the benefits for me and it happened consistently, not a fluke.

Yeah, it won't happen until it gets out in the sun!

On a light colored car you'd never noticed, but you'll (hopefully not) see what I mean. It's frustrating to say the least. Like I said other than that I love the product.

The car will be on display this Saturday at the 14th Annual 100 Years of Cars car show in Hobe Sound, Florida.

If I can, I'll try to get over to it and take a few pictures. Just depends on my schedule for this Saturday. Weather forecast is looking good.

Also - the link to this thread has been sent to Collinite, I'm sure they appreciate all the feedback and comments.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    Which lasts longer ....845 or 476?
    476 but I have had good results with 885 and 915 also. I also have not had one bird bomb damage the paint since switching from sealants no matter how long it has been there.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

845 is a great wax. thinner the better imo when applying and an old baby bottle warmer is great for cold climates to get it back into a liquid form.

11. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Rehazing" is generally because you put it on too thick and didn't flip the towel you wipe it off with enough. It does this to me with some microfibers, but almost never does when I am wiping it off with an old worn out bath towel.

Also more prone to do it if your microfibers have been left out in humidity or if it's really humid outside.

13. Likes PaulMys, mwoolfso, John U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    845 is a great wax. thinner the better imo when applying and an old baby bottle warmer is great for cold climates to get it back into a liquid form.
    I just stick mine in a big cup in the sink, turn on the hot water and let it run for a little while.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast