autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO Best Looking Red out there now....

Not sure what others think, but to me Mazda makes one of the best looking red colors around. Soul Red Metallic is definitely a color I like. Those that don't know, I got rid of my Infiniti and will rock my son's car until things normalize in the world and we're back to traveling for work. Really made no sense for us to have my car if it didn't get used except for an occasional local errand. In the mean time, I'll rock the Lincoln until it goes away in spring. Until then, this is my wife's new-to-her 2018 CX-5 Touring that we picked up in Late December with just over 32k miles on it. It's been in service just over 30 months and was in need a of a make over.

Overall the car was in good shape less the swirls from a lifetime of tunnel washes. The treatment here given Mazda also has about the thinnest paint out there, was to get it between 85-90% correction leaving room for future polishes and re-coatings as needed. Maybe not a long term ride for her but I would expect we'll keep it 5-7 years at minimum.

I put it through it's full paces of course, including a full steam extraction the day we brought it home. A full leather treatment including a leather coating and a full engine cleaning.

After enjoying some time off for the holidays it was time to get to the exterior of it. Here I did my premium enhancement polish, basically a good 1-Step Correction which included a base-coat primer as a prep for the ceramic coating heading its way.

Ceramic wise, it received the full treatment, Glass Coating on all windows and mirrors, Wheels were polished and ceramic coated, Plastic Trim and Cladding was cleaned and stripped then coated to keep it black and fresh too. Paint coating wise, this one received 3-Layers of CarPro's offering. Two products including their newest Silicon Carbide Ceramic. Finally door jams were polished and sealed as all too many manufacturers leave them dull and lifeless with minimal clear coat on them.

My Approach Included:

• Polished with my Flex XCE using both Yellow Rupes Pads and Lake Country Orange Flat Pads
    • Rupes iBrid Nano with yellow Rupes Pads used for small areas like door jambs, etc.
    • Car Pro Essence was the polish of choice
    • Griot's Fine Glass Polish was used too
    • Rolite Fine Grade Plastic Polish for Tail lights then polished with Essence too
    • Coating wise:
      • CarPro Fly Bye on Glass
      • CarPro Dlux for Trim work
      • CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 was the first layer
      • CarPro Cquartz NEW SiC made up the two subsequent layers
      • GYEON Q2 RIM for wheels

• Meg's Hyperdressing for tires
    • Meg's D4510 Plastic Coating for engine bay area

Now onto the pics. Typical grey weather in Ohio but at least mother nature gave me a few dry minutes to take her outside for photos.

So how bad was it? Let's just say the paint matched the tail lights

Engine is cleaned but up next will be the underside of the hood. Pretty much the only part I didn't get to this time.

Trim all coated including the cowling area which always takes a beating

Doors and Door Jambs all polished. Aftermarket Door sills installed too.

The Gold Metallic Flake really pops under the lighting. Can't wait to see her all cleaned up in the sunshine

2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes Klasse Act, Bruno Soares, DFB, PaulMys, Loach and 3 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IMO Best Looking Red out there now....

In the 2nd from last pic you can clearly see the gold in the paintIMO Best Looking Red out there now....IMO Best Looking Red out there now.... Spesking of paint, not sure which year they made a switch, but there's Soul Red and then came Soul Red II, I'm thinking yours is the latterIMO Best Looking Red out there now....

Mazda has come a long way since Ford let them go, now they're going a bit upmarket, looking to compete with Acura.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

4. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I considered getting the CX5 early in 2020 but ended up with a Subraru Crosstrek. The standard all wheel drive was the decision maker since I also travel between 3 states regularly for work. To be honest... if I knew 2020 was going to that bad , I would have held off in buying a new vehicle all together. LOL

I am not a red car fan but this red looks nice. Nice job!!!!

How was your experience with Carpro SIC??? What was your process in determining when to remove SIC?

6. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    In the 2nd from last pic you can clearly see the gold in the paintIMO Best Looking Red out there now....IMO Best Looking Red out there now.... Spesking of paint, not sure which year they made a switch, but there's Soul Red and then came Soul Red II, I'm thinking yours is the latterIMO Best Looking Red out there now....
    Mazda has come a long way since Ford let them go, now they're going a bit upmarket, looking to compete with Acura.

Good to know on the color. I'll have to look into it so I'm up to speed. For sure on the up-market for Mazda. Again, we almost got it back in Spring 2018 but went for the Lincoln. Loved the car and honestly, I'd have bought it if the price delta between the two wasn't so much. Normally I wouldn't advise buying a lease out but I would have if the used market wasn't so strong as they would have likely made me a deal. It's all good. The interior of the Mazda is nearly on par with my old S4. Similar look and feal and it's super quiet. Dare I say quieter than her Lincoln. Definitely rides better given it's not on thin sidewall 20's. I would love to upgrade the wheels as it would look WAY Nicer, but she'd just curb them like she did the Lincolns (face palm). At least these have a higher sidewall to protect them.

She'll miss the power but overall Mazda has done a great job ensuring it moves out okay. No powerhouse but it's surprisingly well tuned for around town. All in all it was an awesome bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I considered getting the CX5 early in 2020 but ended up with a Subraru Crosstrek. The standard all wheel drive was the decision maker since I also travel between 3 states regularly for work. To be honest... if I knew 2020 was going to that bad , I would have held off in buying a new vehicle all together. LOL
    They get cross-shopped a lot. The new CX-3 is the one that the Crosstrek competes with now for sure. This one is AWD thankfully. They do a pretty good job of implementing it too. Have only had it out in the one snow fall thus far but it performed very well. Not much if any delay in the power shifting from front to rear.

How was your experience with Carpro SIC??? What was your process in determining when to remove SIC?
    This was my first go-round with it. I layed it down over top of UK 3.0 so I'll have a better feeling next time when it's on first. Not sure if putting 1 layer of UK 3 and 2 layers of SiC will matter but I wanted to try it as I've read they are good together.

Initial impressions are the UK 3.0 is easier to use. Flashes far quicker is mainly why. To me the SiC takes a while to flash thus slowed me down a bit. The second layer of it was easier to remove but then it was already on top of two other layers of coatings thus making it pretty slick. No grab to the final layer at all. Again, I'll see what SiC is like over Essence right from the start next week when I do a customer's car. Stay tuned.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work

9. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post

I am not a red car fan but this red looks nice. Nice job!!!!

Did you know the CX-5 has available AWD? The Subie has a bulletproof AWD system but with all the traveling the Mazda saves you big time at the pump and is a nicer place to be in, pretty important with your job and allIMO Best Looking Red out there now....IMO Best Looking Red out there now....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Did you know the CX-5 has available AWD? The Subie has a bulletproof AWD system but with all the traveling the Mazda saves you big time at the pump and is a nicer place to be in, pretty important with your job and allIMO Best Looking Red out there now....IMO Best Looking Red out there now....

This was not my 1st Subaru. I had an Outback for years and years until I drove it to the ground...LOL There is almost a cult following for Subaru from Subaru owners. I simply am not that guy.

The AWD for subaru is standard across all trim levels while the CX 5 is not. The sticker price between the two is a couple thousands more for the CX 5 AWD. Subaru been doing AWD forever and I like to think they figured it out by now. Mileage is actually slightly better with the subaru (27 city / 33 highway). On my last trip from Reno, Nevada to San Francisco, CA ... I averaged 38 MPG (5 miles over speed limit all the way through in the middle of the night) !!! The Mazda do have a nicer interior when compare to a comparable equipped crosstrek.

Like I said before.... If I knew 2020 was going to be that bad, I would have held off. LOL

12. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Good to know on the color. I'll have to look into it so I'm up to speed. For sure on the up-market for Mazda. Again, we almost got it back in Spring 2018 but went for the Lincoln. Loved the car and honestly, I'd have bought it if the price delta between the two wasn't so much. Normally I wouldn't advise buying a lease out but I would have if the used market wasn't so strong as they would have likely made me a deal. It's all good. The interior of the Mazda is nearly on par with my old S4. Similar look and feal and it's super quiet. Dare I say quieter than her Lincoln. Definitely rides better given it's not on thin sidewall 20's. I would love to upgrade the wheels as it would look WAY Nicer, but she'd just curb them like she did the Lincolns (face palm). At least these have a higher sidewall to protect them.

She'll miss the power but overall Mazda has done a great job ensuring it moves out okay. No powerhouse but it's surprisingly well tuned for around town. All in all it was an awesome bargain.

They get cross-shopped a lot. The new CX-3 is the one that the Crosstrek competes with now for sure. This one is AWD thankfully. They do a pretty good job of implementing it too. Have only had it out in the one snow fall thus far but it performed very well. Not much if any delay in the power shifting from front to rear.

This was my first go-round with it. I layed it down over top of UK 3.0 so I'll have a better feeling next time when it's on first. Not sure if putting 1 layer of UK 3 and 2 layers of SiC will matter but I wanted to try it as I've read they are good together.

Initial impressions are the UK 3.0 is easier to use. Flashes far quicker is mainly why. To me the SiC takes a while to flash thus slowed me down a bit. The second layer of it was easier to remove but then it was already on top of two other layers of coatings thus making it pretty slick. No grab to the final layer at all. Again, I'll see what SiC is like over Essence right from the start next week when I do a customer's car. Stay tuned.
    I am looking forward to it. Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the CX-30 is more on par with the CrossTrek rather than the CX-3. The CX-3 is based off of the Mazda 2 and the CX-30 is basically a lifted Mazda 3 or the CX-4 in other countries markets.

Acura should be worried about Mazda as they have the quality and tech to compete with them and although the new TLX is AMAZING looking with PERFORMANCE to match...Mazda has the new Mazda 6 coming soon...RWD & inline 6, surely an AWD version will be available but its REAR WHEEL DRIVE BASEDIMO Best Looking Red out there now....IMO Best Looking Red out there now....

Does anyone remember when we made exciting carsIMO Best Looking Red out there now....

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done and I agree that they have some great colors! Full of pearl, flake and now...super depth, gloss and shine! Nice!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

16. Thanks TTQ B4U thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1