autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardened construction adhesive

Have read thru all the adhesive posts without finding a solution. My black BMW is kept in heated storage. Discovered a roof leak has dissolved construction adhesive or perhaps a sealant, dripped and hardened onto the car. Quarter panel build up is about .02" thick. Floor accumulation is so hard as to resist chipping with a pocket knife. Assuming the residue is water soluble initially tried soaking with warm water. Then warm water with citrus detergent. Then straight detergent. Then tried to soften with a hot air gun. Then my standby, SEM Solve. Then Goof Off. Then resorted to rubbing compound. Nothing yielded positive results. Lastly tried a medium grit Auto Scrub sponge with their specified Glide lubricant. At first it seemed to cut well. But within a few seconds the grit was permanently fouled by residue sludge. Am at a loss to proceed. Surely someone in the trade has been down this road learning a solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hardened construction adhesive

Have you tried isopropyl alcohol? I use to remove the glue when using my dent puller although obviously not the same glue but it will definitely not hurt to try.

You should also contact the building owner about the damages incase this ends up requiring paint work.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We use construction adhesive in our home theater subwoofer business and I think it is dissolvable with lacquer thinner but so is your clear coat. I’ll ask one of my guys if they can think of a way to remove it. We usually use sandpaper, like 60 grit sandpaper to remove it but we’re going over it with veneer, which doesn’t help you. I’ll report back if I learn something. I’ll get them to cut some dried glue up and drop it into some alcohol and other solvents to see what happens.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint reducer?

Adhesive remover.

Try those....

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IH8SPM View Post
    Have you tried isopropyl alcohol? I use to remove the glue when using my dent puller although obviously not the same glue but it will definitely not hurt to try.

You should also contact the building owner about the damages incase this ends up requiring paint work.

Sincere thanks for the prompt reply and helpul tip. After 5 minutes of massaging with a 70% isopropyl soaked micro fiber towel noted no difference. Repeated again for a few minutes, then scraped with my fingernail. Was able to dig away at it. Like to try again with the plastic razor blades I've seen advertised.

7. Likes dgage, IH8SPM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doninvt View Post
    Sincere thanks for the prompt reply and helpul tip. After 5 minutes of massaging with a 70% isopropyl soaked micro fiber towel noted no difference. Repeated again for a few minutes, then scraped with my fingernail. Was able to dig away at it. Like to try again with the plastic razor blades I've seen advertised.
    If you don't find the plastic razor blades locally, try a plastic putty knife from the DIY store.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doninvt View Post
    Give it dwell time to work and it should be able to break it down and with mechanical aid you should get to it.