autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating Flash Times —- Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    The coating bonds in the first few seconds. The time you’re playing with to remove is just to find the easiest way for you to do it, it won’t remove the solids from the coating. When you see it rainbow, good to go. If it smears a lot, then wait longer. If it’s sticky, then wipe sooner.
    Best, most concise answer of the month!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Thanks Bruno Soares, Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I now fear that certain sections/panels of mine were wiped off too soon (UK 2.0) because there was some oily residue after which did not easily go away after 1 or 2 wipes. Being my first coating I was hoping this is normal and would level out. This was noticed on my 2nd coat (applied on a cooler day around 70 degF in my garage) more so than first (applied at high 70s in my garage). I was waiting about 5 minutes before wiping off per long side of directions.

I do think there was mostly some grab during wipe off but that doesn’t mean I felt it everywhere.

I guess I’ll stop being paranoid and see how it performs soon enough and then over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    If it’s taking that long for it too flash then work larger areas and you can finish quicker.

22ple coatings have a 5 minute or so window and one can work larger areas and finish quicker.
    Are you saying to spread the coating across larger areas or to start "working ahead" while you wait for it to flash/set-up, i.e. do multiple sections? My only fear with working ahead is I'll get so far ahead I won't be able to buff it off fast enough. I applied the coating once in conditions which were too hot and ended up with an ugly, smearing mess because I let it sit too long. Different conditions, but possibly a similar result if I work too far ahead.

I have to admit doing something like an entire quarter panel or door at one time would speed things up.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you saying to spread the coating across larger areas or to start "working ahead" while you wait for it to flash/set-up, i.e. do multiple sections? My only fear with working ahead is I'll get so far ahead I won't be able to buff it off fast enough. I applied the coating once in conditions which were too hot and ended up with an ugly, smearing mess because I let it sit too long. Different conditions, but possibly a similar result if I work too far ahead.

I have to admit doing something like an entire quarter panel or door at one time would speed things up.
    I worked up to 1.5 full panels ahead to let the stuff sit long enough. Knowing by that time that it wouldn’t be a problem to wipe off after 5-10 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely do that. Just need to stay organized so you have time to wipe it all off and also not forget an area. Depending on weather I can do like an entire roof or entire hood at once. Maybe 2 doors at a time. It sure helps get done sooner but you have to be focused or you'll miss an area or spread the coating to adjacent panels and not realize it.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    The coating bonds in the first few seconds. The time you’re playing with to remove is just to find the easiest way for you to do it, it won’t remove the solids from the coating. When you see it rainbow, good to go. If it smears a lot, then wait longer. If it’s sticky, then wipe sooner.
    If this is the case and I don’t have to worry about the coating bonding and only concerned with ease of wipe off, them I’m a happy man.

Post Thanks / Like

Work a larger area if you have that long of a window. No sense in working small if you are going to wait 10 mins to wipe it off. You will be there forever. For example work half the hood, the bumper or a door, etc... In some weather conditions you can work an entire door.

9. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll change up my approach.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Work a larger area if you have that long of a window. No sense in working small if you are going to wait 10 mins to wipe it off. You will be there forever. For example work half the hood, the bumper or a door, etc... In some weather conditions you can work an entire door.
    It does take forever, even under ideal conditions with 2-ish minutes of flash time when doing an area like half a door, 1/4 of a hood ect. I'll start working a larger area at a time.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bad feeling I left too much “oily” coating residue during wipe off due to trying before the flash was fully dry. I was hoping the residue would self level but I can still see it with swirl finder light. I’ll see how bad it looks when I get it in the sun. Pretty worried right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Coating Flash Times —- Confused

^
    CarPro Essence or Essence+ with a light abrasive pad can remove high spots.

My car has one above the passenger door handle. You have to look from a specific angle with the proper lighting to see it (which is how it was missed). Just curious how it will diminish down over the coming months (year).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast