autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only imagine how bad my Mk5 GTI will be bad after I detail my Miata first. I’ve always kept it fairly clean but it’s been a number of years since it’s been polished and has never seen Iron-X or an equivalent in almost 14 years/158k. It has been clay’d quite a bit, but we’ll see! I run Carbotech XP-8 brake pads up front now which dust like hell, so that’ll add to it.

Post Thanks / Like

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

Listen I’m new here, what exactly does Iron removing do, or how do you know if you need it?

Example our truck is 2018
    Durango, I don’t see anything on paint. How do I know if I even need iron remover man.

I’ll get some if I need some but I don’t know how to even tell.

Question guys, what if iron removers stain any outside delicate trims?

Like glass, clear coated mirrors, door seal silicone, plastics, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BorisSutherland View Post
    It goes without saying, that the using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips is just the wasting time and money, but I can't say the same about the insurance. I say so, because I can make money with the help of my car and save a lot on insurance. Personally, I did so, I bought a Toyota Prius for 12k and then collected the necessary documents to be able to get private hire taxi insurance, as it is much cheaper than having a standard insurance. For example, sometimes now I work in Uber to earn money, and pay a little for insurance (I only pay 800 a year for the Toyota Prius using insurance services of that company).
    Hmmm.......... Where are the Spam police?

I hope you drive your Uber in a high-crime area, Boris.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we do a polish or compound if we don’t use iron x first at all?
    Or is iron x a must?

If so why, why not?
    My goal in life is to love God, family and myself. To love others and treat others right.

Mike Phillips

It goes without saying, that the using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips is just the wasting time and money, but I can't say the same about the insurance. I say so, because I can make money with the help of my car and save a lot on insurance. Personally, I did so, I bought a Toyota Prius for 12k and then collected the necessary documents to be able to get private hire taxi insurance, as it is much cheaper than having a standard insurance. For example, sometimes now I work in Uber to earn money, and pay a little for insurance (I only pay 800 a year for the Toyota Prius using insurance services of that company).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

Hmmm.......... Where are the Spam police?

Well he did break a forum rule in his firstish/secondish post by inserting a link to a website that sales insurance in the U.K., not sure if he meant it to be spam or just let us know where he gets his insurance?

Under his name is says,

In time out

So looks like it was deemed to not be spam.

As for his premis, that using an Iron Remover is just the wasting of time and money?

It goes without saying, that the using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips is just the wasting time and money,

I have know idea why he was say that and then not back up his assertion with a reason or two?

To be honest, I don't really know what the point is he's trying to make?

If we go DEEP and I'm as good and even better at going deep on the topic of car detailing, then let's bring back the POINT of this article, which I'll simply quote myself and the first post (that created this article)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

The Car Insurance Analogy for using an Iron Remover by Mike Phillips

An iron remover is one of those products you want to use but you don't actually want it to work - Mike Phillips

Using an iron remover is like buying car insurance, you want to have it but you don't really want to use it because that means you were in an accident and this is never any fun. That said, it's important to have car insurance for financial, physical and emotional peace of mind just in case you are involved in an accident.

When you use an iron remover, you don't actually want to see iron contamination via the very visual bleeding-effect as this means your car's exterior is contaminated. Contamination means deterioration has been taking place. That's never a good thing and especially considering how thin clearcoat layer of paint is from the factory.

Like having car insurance, it's a good idea to use an iron remover on your car's exterior, but like car insurance, you really don't have to use it or in the case of an iron remover you don't actually want to see any color changing or bleed-effect take place as this would mean your car's exterior is not contaminated.

It would be better to see nothing and have peace of mind. The price of the iron remover is a minimal compared to knowing your paint was not contaminated.

If you do see the color changing or bleeding effect, then you have peace of mind knowing the contamination has been removed and the deterioration has been stopped.

The only way to really know if your car is contaminated is to use some insurance i.e. use an iron remover...

Here's the BIG PICTURE - each of us can determine for ourselves after doing your own research if using an Iron Remover is a good step and even a necessary step for you and your car.

If the product is as asserted,

wasting time and money,

Feel free to tell all the companies that make Iron Removers your opinion. We're talking some HUGE companies, like Meguiar's, Car Pro, Chemical Guys, Optimum Polymer Technologies, etc.

I'm happy to share "how-to" use these companies products but anyone that has an issue with the product themselves should take that up with the companies themselves.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post

Can we do a polish or compound if we don’t use iron x first at all?

Or is iron x a must?

If so why, why not?

Good questions, and to quote myself and what I just wrote,

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here's the BIG PICTURE - each of us can determine for ourselves after doing your own research if using an Iron Remover is a good step and even a necessary step for you and your car.

So again - let me go DEEP.....

Assuming there is iron contamination on the exterior surfaces on your car, it's been proven that a quality brand iron remover will dissolve this iron contamination enabling you to flush it off with water. Boom. Problem solves. That is assuming the color-changing effect is in fact one chemical attacking and thus dissolving another chemical.

If you want to go deep, at least for the paint, maybe not so much for other exterior surfaces that you're not going to ABRADE - than at least for the paint, if you're going to abrade these surfaces, that is use one of these,

1. Compound
    2. Polish
    3. AIO

Then in theory, the abrading action will also remove the iron contamination. Any iron contamination on paint is in my opinion going to be topical BECAUSE modern [new] clearcoats are impermeable. That is they are NOT porous. Thus any staining is likely very topical and not IN the paint. As clearcoats age the do become more permeable or porous via miniature cracks in the paint called interstices.

(is this deep enough for you? )

So again, each of us can determine for ourselves after doing your own research if using an Iron Remover is a good step and even a necessary step for you and your car.

Me? I think using an Iron Remover is a good idea for the exact reasons I shared in this article I have written.

And anyone that disagrees is completely welcome to disagree and also completely welcome to WRITE their own article.

9. Likes axel06, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post and excellent analogy... so true. Funny thing, the first time I ever used an iron remover years ago I did so after seeing dramatic photos of cars with iron remover applied, they looked like some kind of nuclear accident. When I applied it to my vehicle, there was very little fallout and at first I thought I must have done something wrong, then it hit me, my vehicle had very little contamination which made me feel good about the condition of my vehicle.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post

Nice post and excellent analogy... so true.

Thank you. Sometimes it takes a little brain labor to think things through and then express the ideas via the written word.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post

Funny thing, the first time I ever used an iron remover years ago I did so after seeing dramatic photos of cars with iron remover applied, they looked like some kind of nuclear accident. When I applied it to my vehicle, there was very little fallout and at first I thought I must have done something wrong,

then it hit me,

my vehicle had very little contamination which made me feel good about the condition of my vehicle.

Exactly my point.

I too have used Iron Removers on my own car and after NOT seeing a lot of red/purple bleeding-effect I was happy!

I'd rather use it and not see the color-changing effect than use it and see my car's paint bleed like a stuck pig.

13. Likes PaulMys, Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike I get it, thanks for taking time to teach.

Now my biggest challenge is getting a DA polisher and get my butt kicked by it.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123