autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: When is it acceptable to use a quick detailer?

Dont need to fit a bucket. Just have two 16 ounce bottles of ONR diluted for waterless wash. Basically half an ounce per bottle or so. You'll be good to go.

Quick retailers have glossing agents in them that's why they give a pop.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Dont need to fit a bucket. Just have two 16 ounce bottles of ONR diluted for waterless wash. Basically half an ounce per bottle or so. You'll be good to go.

Quick retailers have glossing agents in them that's why they give a pop.
    My ONR waterless washes in winter (no water access in winter) are done in a bucket with all my towels soaking in it. How would I do a waterless wash with just spray bottles? Doesn't it go back to being a quick detailer ONR? Also as I write this, technically if the ONR bucket wash dilutio is 1:256 then that means my quick detailer solution of onr at 1:16 is perfectly fine for a spray waterless wash after a 2 hour drive? Or not?

Ah yeah I heard that term gloss agents, always thought it was a "gimmick" or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
    My ONR waterless washes in winter (no water access in winter) are done in a bucket with all my towels soaking in it. How would I do a waterless wash with just spray bottles? Doesn't it go back to being a quick detailer ONR? Also as I write this, technically if the ONR bucket wash dilutio is 1:256 then that means my quick detailer solution of onr at 1:16 is perfectly fine for a spray waterless wash after a 2 hour drive? Or not?

Ah yeah I heard that term gloss agents, always thought it was a "gimmick" or something like that.
    That's rinseless wash, it's safer than waterless wash. But waterless wash is safer than quick detailer wiping. If the car was clean and you drove, in dry weather, to the car meet, waterless wash will be perfectly fine. You just spray the solution directly on the panel and some on the towel and wipe clean, then dry with another towel. No bucket needed, just a handful of towels.
    Bruno Soares

4. Likes TheMidnightNarwhal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    That's rinseless wash, it's safer than waterless wash. But waterless wash is safer than quick detailer wiping. If the car was clean and you drove, in dry weather, to the car meet, waterless wash will be perfectly fine. You just spray the solution directly on the panel and some on the towel and wipe clean, then dry with another towel. No bucket needed, just a handful of towels.
    Okay gotcha. I also think 2 hours ish of dry weather highway isn't gonna dirty the car to much.

Just to confirm though what is the ONR waterless wash dilution? ONR calls the 1:16 a quick detailer solution.

6. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay gotcha. I also think 2 hours ish of dry weather highway isn't gonna dirty the car to much.
    I agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the half ounce would be 1 to 32. Quick detailer and waterless wash are the same in method of execution but different in the wash solution. Honestly if you're using distilled water, 1 to 32 wont cause you any issues. I wouldnt really call anything to do with onr a quick detailer, it doesnt have the same glossing agents. Perhaps an imitation version or a much safer version. I'm not an expert on ONR, I usually avoid it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Well the half ounce would be 1 to 32. Quick detailer and waterless wash are the same in method of execution but different in the wash solution. Honestly if you're using distilled water, 1 to 32 wont cause you any issues. I wouldnt really call anything to do with onr a quick detailer, it doesnt have the same glossing agents. Perhaps an imitation version or a much safer version. I'm not an expert on ONR, I usually avoid it.
    Yeah, I'm just basing it off the official thread they have here. They say 1:16 is the previous quick detailer they recommended before and now they have a dedicated quick detailer they sell, which they mention offers better performance. That performance aspect might come from the detailer having those gloss enhancements that were talked about here and ONR doesn't.

So that said, I'll bring a bottle of mixture that I had originally planned, 1:16 ratio and go at it. I do agree it feels more of a cleaning solution than quick detailer because they say you can use the 1:16 QD dilution for interior (dash for example) and windows. Worst case scenario it's a one time thing so if a minimal amount of marring happens I'm ok with it.

Thanks everyone for chiming in

Post Thanks / Like

But isn't "pop" determined basically by how defect free the paint is and the LSP? How can a quick detailer on it's own provide like, additional visual enhancement other than making the area clean?

Anyway, my car when is cleaned looks amazing as it is. But maybe it's because I always top with the beadmaker!
    My opinion was based on all things being equal. I try to keep my cars paint in good shape. From that point forward I can compare LSPs, detailers, WWs based on what I see when I apply any of them.

So the QD leaves polymers or wax or whatever on top of your LSP, beyond the cleaning effects (if being used to clean). The same way you think your paint is in good shape and/or Beadmaker keeps it looking nice, I would compare a good QD to leaving a nice shine like Beadmaker. Except the QD will likely only last a few days to a week worth of shine.

WW with gloss enhancers should leave a shine for a similar duration of time, I just don’t think WWs add the icing on the cake look as well as good QDs. That’s all I’m trying to say from my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Standard answer,

Light dust
    Fingerprints
    Smudges

Anything dirtier - use a waterless wash.
    To add to the above information:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Note:
    While spray detailers are first and foremost
    positioned as products for removing light dust,
    if used wet or heavy and with good technique,
    that can substitute for a high lubricity waterless
    wash. Use your own judgment.
    Source:
    The difference between a Normal Car Wash, a Waterless Car Wash, a Rinseless Car Wash and a Spray Detailer

A couple more pertinent (IMO)
    reading suggestions:

1.) The terms HEAVY or WET - what they mean?

2.) Tips & Techniques for using a Spray Detailer to Remove Light Dust, Fingerprints and Smudges

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Note:
    While spray detailers are first and foremost
    positioned as products for removing light dust,
    if used wet or heavy and with good technique,
    that can substitute for a high lubricity waterless
    wash. Use your own judgment.

I think this is the most sensible approach, with part of the "good technique" being to use plenty of towels and making sure to use all 8 "sides". As for lubricity, I don't know how it applies for all products, but I use Wolfgang Uber and the waterless wash and QD ratios are nearly the same, with the QD ratio actually offering slightly more lubricity.

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast