autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you use these towels again?

I use Costco's microfiber towels for most of wiping business. For buffing, I have Rag Company's edgeless towels. I wash these towels using regular Costco brand's detergent.

The dirt left on the towel was after the rinseless wash using Wolfgang Uber wash. I usually run the towels through water to release loose dirt before putting it in the laundry. These towels are air dried.

I don't feel anything to the hand but these black spots make me uncomfortable. Would you use these towels for a rinseless wash again? If not, what would you use these for?

In ideal world, I would like to have best of the best towels and a special detergent to wash the towels but I am not maintaining classic or show cars, just daily drivers that are exposed daily to various tortures. So I am not keen on investing in expensive special detergents. Hope you folks get where I am coming from.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. - The post won't take a full size image, the link to full size image is https://i.postimg.cc/k4tzYqhx/MVIMG-20200727-074845.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would you use these towels again?-mvimg_20200727_074845-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would you use these towels again?

Use for rims, door jams and engine bay duties Would you use these towels again?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to your question is definitely yes.
    I use those same kind of towels for my waterless wash duties and yes they get dirty.. But that’s what the washing machine is for!

This is what my towels look like front and back after doing a waterless wash with Wolfgang Uber on my car. I always use 2 towels, never more, never less.

Make sure you’re washing your microfiber towels using Hot water and stop air drying them.. From now on dry them on Low heat in your dryer for 35min.

I’ve used these towels on the left for about 2 yrs. and just recently bought some more that are on the right.. [I have a 3rd batch but they’re all dirty right now]

They’re all still good enough to use on the paint and I can guarantee you that because I don’t go around scratching up my paint!Would you use these towels again?

4. Thanks Klasse Act, SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes SixZee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And make sure to get yourself some quality drying towels. I recommend the Griots Garage PFM towels. Get at least 4 small ones. IMO They’re the best towels for waterless/rinseless drying.

6. Thanks SixZee thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, oneheadlite, SixZee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I used Wolfgang Uber as rinseless, my wash media did get stained. I thought it was permanent. I switched to N-914 and not only did it remove the stains, it never got stained again. I just think it has much more cleaning power than the other products.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend _not_ washing MF towels in hot water. While some will claim this water is not hot enough to affect MF, I would disagree. If nothing else, it will slowly deteriorate the towel. Modern detergent is made to work just as well in room temp and cold water. Anything that does not come off in the wash is really a stain that won't affect the paint. I use a clear and free detergent and run it through two rinse cycles. You can also use less detergent. I use different towels for different purposes so the towels I use on paint seldom if ever get dirty with anything but clean polish or wax. When drying I use the air dry setting so it is really just to fluff up the nap of the towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    I'd recommend _not_ washing MF towels in hot water. While some will claim this water is not hot enough to affect MF, I would disagree. If nothing else, it will slowly deteriorate the towel.

the towels I use on paint seldom if ever get dirty with anything but clean polish or wax.
    It would help if you could show or even speak of a valid example to support your beliefs..

Also, how can you really know whether or not washing in hot water makes a difference or not if your towels “seldom if ever get dirty”?

On the other hand, I’ve got the same exact towels as OP that are over 2yrs. old that are still in great shape and paint worthy washing in hot water and drying on low heat. I wouldn’t use them on my own car if they weren’t good.

Post Thanks / Like

Eldorado2K,

Just curious, why do you recommend against air dry?

I used to dry my towels on low heat but I've always had some type of linting problem, thinking it had to do with the drying phase. *very faint* So I started to air dry hoping this would alleviate it and for the most part it has.

Plus I've always suspected that maybe residual fabric softener sheet residue left within the dryer tub from drying household clothes may adhere to the towels on some level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It would help if you could show or even speak of a valid example to support your beliefs..

Also, how can you really know whether or not washing in hot water makes a difference or not if your towels “seldom if ever get dirty”?

On the other hand, I’ve got the same exact towels as OP that are over 2yrs. old that are still in great shape and paint worthy washing in hot water and drying on low heat. I wouldn’t use them on my own car if they weren’t good.
    I need to back up what I say but those with other points of view don't?

It is debatable if heat from hot water or even the dryer will break down MF. You recommend people use a low temp setting in the dryer. Why? Some have posted that MF can withstand around 300F. As dryer typically goes up to 135F. So why recommend a lower setting?

I recommend not using hot water because modern detergent is made to work just as well in cold/tap water. Most contain enzymes that break down grease and dirt. These work just fine in cold water. Also because higher temps do affect MF and I don't see it as an all or nothing situation. That is, if 300F affect MF, 299F affects it in some way as well. I'd rather just stay away from excessive heat as cold water will clean just as good.

Proctor and Gamble have done testing on washing MF and noted that it does shed. They recommend that MF be washed in cold water to minimize this.

What affects MF more is leaving detergent residue on the material. MF has a lot more surface area (which is one reason why it is used to clean) so it more easily holds onto detergent.

There is also a lot of crap and just "okay" MF on the market. I'd say that cheap MF is not going to show wear as much as a good MF towel.

I'm also just adding my opinion. People do wash in hot water and dry in high heat and they feel it works just fine for them. Nothing wrong with that. It is just not what I'd recommend.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone, for the comments.

It is interesting that there are 2 distinct opinions.

I washed in hot water but air dried because I do not have washing facilities in the apartment. There are laundromats in the development and I use primarily for washing MF towels only because it has that center shaft which helps with agitation. The dryers though have various settings but the temperatures doesn't change much. I have destroyed enough of my wife's clothes that needed drying 'low' but that 'low' was hot enough to shrink her clothes.

I read in one of the posts that the MF material usually melts at high drying temperatures. I wanted to avoid that so I air dried them. I would love to know as well @Eldorado2K's point of view of avoiding air drying.

Thanks again, folks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast