autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEWS FLASH!!!!! The new FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher is NOW IN STOCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One more thing....

I walked out to the warehouse to see how many Supa Beasts were left before we get another shipment.

Looks like 4 units are left.

And only a few PXE 80s and on the other side I only saw 2 BEASTS and they were both the HD version - 25' cord.

Didn't see any normal BEASTS.

We're low on a lot of tools and it's all due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Save one for me, please! I ordered two polishers but I only received one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks. Does one cut faster than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd say the edge in terms of specs on paper go to the Mille vs 3401 but honestly it's a toss up. I ran the Mille with the smaller backing plate and my flex with a larger one and alternated where needed. Overall perhaps a slight edge to the Mille but again, splitting hairs. Runs smoother yes but I think that's more due to the pads. They use thinner pads. That said, I run the same pads on my flex with the smaller backing plate without issue and will continue to do the same with the new Flex due in on Tuesday. For me the determining factor was reliability and holding up. I need the BEAST
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

3. Likes John U liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post

I'd say the edge in terms of specs on paper go to the Mille vs 3401 but honestly it's a toss up.
    I agree. On paper the Mille trumps the BEAST in all it's options - BEAST, Supa BEAST and CBEAST.

Runs smoother yes but I think that's more due to the pads. They use thinner pads.
    Actually - in my opinion, the reason the Mille and the Makita, both 5mm gear-driven tools run or FEEL smoother when buffing with them is because the orbit stroke is smaller. The stroke itself is less pronounced and thus the feel tranferred to your hands when buffing is less pronounced.

But 5mm gear-driven versus 8mm gear-driven is less aggressive. Doesn't everyone say that longer stroke offers more correction? If it's true for free spinning - wouldn't it be true for gear-driven spinning?

That said, I run the same pads on my flex with the smaller backing plate without issue and will continue to do the same with the new Flex due in on Tuesday.

For me the determining factor was reliability and holding up. I need the BEAST

Ha ha....

One of the most favorite things I love about the car detailing classes I teach is the ability to teach both FLEX and RUPES tools and in the case of RUPES - their complete system.

AND THEN - letting the students make up their own mind which tool they like the best. I'm an equal opportunity exploiter - by this I mean - if it works I'll show it. If it doesn't work, it's never in my class. This includes not just tools but everything.

People are different. I have people that take my class and love the Mille and I have people that take my class and love the BEAST. I also have people that take my class and love one of the other tools I teach in these classes.

Something for everyone. They KEY is I make my classes for the most part - ALL HANDS-ON. Very little butt time in chairs. THIS is why people are able to figure out which tool and/or paint polishing system they like best - the get LOTS of hands-on time with all the tools and 10 to 15 cars.

No other class like it in the industry.

5. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point on the orbit as it relates to smoothness. One thing I did like about the Mille was it's smaller orbit as combined with the beveled pads make it pretty precise overall. All said, I did enjoy the Mille and it served me well for 2 years and is now in the hands of a friend and fellow detailer who is newer and moving up from a regular DA. I sold it for about 50% of what I paid and thus a fair deal for all involved.

Looking forward to enjoying the new Supra Beast next.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

One thing I did like about the Mille was it's smaller orbit as combined with the beveled pads make it pretty precise overall.

Also agree and correct.

The smaller the orbit stroke the less oscillation and thus the tool is more precise as it relates to being able to buff close to an edge or component.

8. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    One more thing....

I walked out to the warehouse to see how many Supa Beasts were left before we get another shipment.

Looks like 4 units are left.

And only a few PXE 80s and on the other side I only saw 2 BEASTS and they were both the HD version - 25' cord.

Didn't see any normal BEASTS.

We're low on a lot of tools and it's all due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.

Mike,
    Your post above states you saw a few PXE80's on the shelf. I ordered one during the 15% sale right around Father's Day and it is still on backorder. When I called last week to check on it they are telling me another month. Are the ones on the shelf available?
    Thanks,
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I may be the oddball here, but I’ve tried both the Makita and Mille. I still find the 3401 to walk LESS. It’s easier to CONTROL. Maybe I’m just used to the 3401. While the 5mm has less VIBRATION, the smaller orbit will want to twist and turn the pad more, meaning more fighting. The 5mm throws are LESS forgiving to pad choices than the 3401. You have to find the RIGHT pad for the 5mm, or else it’s a disaster. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '03 Corvette Z06

11. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

NEWS FLASH!!!!!  The new FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher is NOW IN STOCK!-thumbnail_received_616601282335044-jpg

Is this normal for the XCE lead to do this folks?

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So should I get the BEAST or the SUPA BEAST first?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by nickyc View Post
    NEWS FLASH!!!!!  The new FLEX XCE 10-8 125 Corded Polisher is NOW IN STOCK!-thumbnail_received_616601282335044-jpg

Is this normal for the XCE lead to do this folks?
    Yes. It's a rubber grommet of sorts pinched in-between a plastic housing.

I may have 60 or so FLEX tools in the garage and they are all great! And all have a connection like this. It's not a big deal.

I start setting up for my September class - I'll take some pictures.

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast