autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating experts: I need your opinions here

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    You’re not the only no coating guy. I’m also not interested in them.
    I'm interested in the concepts, and read all coating threads.

The Guz was nice enough to send me a sample that I used on my wife's Wrangler's wheels. TBH, I was pretty impressed with it as it lasted over a year. And, unless you are less than bright, coatings are easy to apply.

But, I just love sealants/hybrids. The look, the smell, the application process, and knowing that I am in my own comfort zone.

Again, JMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

2. Likes oneheadlite, acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know what coating was used and was the proper prep utilized. It looks like a potential coating issue to me. I'm seeing some 'drip/run' marks like it's almost a chemical 'run' down one of the panels in a picture.
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    What did the issue appear to be? When looked at in person with your own eyes? Was it streaking? How would you technically define what happened in your case?
    Yes, a little bit of streaking, but what I'd call it was a light film and haze left everywhere on the paint, glass, and chrome. Of course the vehicle was rinsed fully, and then wiped down with a guzzler type MF Towel.

To this day, I have no explanation for it, as Reset supposedly rinses clean. Was it possible I got an odd example of this product? Maybe.

And the reason I say this as being a possibility is I then switched back to the other Shampoo I had on hand and used commonly otherwise, Duragloss, and it appeared that I never had that issue after. Thus, an almost full bottle of Reset has sat unused ever since.

Post Thanks / Like

Did we conclude yet on what caused this? Suggestions by others such as asking the person that coated the car what they used as a coating and what to wash with seems like the best route. Please keep us posted on outcome

I have started switching to ceramic coatings/hybrids as they do tend to resist bird bombs and bug juice a bit better (clean up easier with less appeared etching into the coating). Coating my F150 with Wolfgang Profi Ceramic Coating was an experience, trying not to get high spots on those large panels was a challenge. Only ended up with a few small spots that only I noticed.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys, thanks for chiming in. I’ve got a few ideas I can toss his way.. I’ll ask about the coating but something tells me it’s going to be Ceramic Pro. I’ll ask him about the possibility of fabric softener being used and I’ll write down every other possibility mentioned in this thread and ask him.

7. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A little late to the party, but this is really strange. I've been coating all of my cars for 4~5 years now and never seen anything like that.

Do we know how long the coating was on the car before it was washed? Most consumer coatings require at least a week to fully cure before being washed and I wonder if the owner jumped the gun. The only reason I say that is I've used bug removers, QD sprays, APC, multiple car wash soaps, and even tar removers on my vehicles with coatings and I've never seen them haze/leave residue/smear like what you pictured.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

That's about all I can conclude is well, what others have touched upon. The Water, Fabric Softener in the Towels, or a vehicle that was washed too soon before full coating cure.

If it's the last reason I mention above, then it might be likely that such effects may remain behind to a certain degree and cannot be fully removed.

With my vehicle when I noticed this with a first wash with Reset, it was quite a while after the coating was applied, so no chance of a premature washing, or waiting too long to come behind and dry the vehicle.

Had it been me, and the coating applied by a professional, I'd probably be inclined to ask them also.

Hard water, yes, at the time my water was very hard, loaded with minerals. Still, never had such a problem like such before.

Post Thanks / Like

Coating experts: I need your opinions here

Which leads us back to square 1.... A complete freaking mystery at this time.Coating experts: I need your opinions herelol

I’m waiting on his reply.

11. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My gut keeps telling me it might just be a bad batch of soap... Reasons for me thinking this:

It was purchased online @ Walmort. Think about it.. How many actual detailers buy their professional detailing chemicals from Walmort? Not the majority.

I’ve actually experienced a bad batch of Hyper Wash... My very 1st experience with Hyper Wash was bad, due to the gallon I got my sample from being many years old... Is it possible for Walmort to have some of the oldest gallons of Hyper Wash you could possibly find to buy? I would think there’s a pretty good chance of that being a yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing to do might be to try a slightly different soap and re-wash and see. If the same thing happens, might be the water. Might I suggest if you have the time, to join him for a wash? Perhaps it's something that he is physically doing as opposed to any product issues.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast