autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many mitts needed for a 1 bucket wash? Any better washing methods?

You can fill the mitt with soapy water from a bucket as well. I only do it via foam gun so I have no bucket to worry about.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

2. Likes vwite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwite View Post
    Oh ok thanks! I might try this, but results wise, I think it would be about the same as getting the mitts already soaked from a bucket full of soapy water, instead of from a bag/storage container wouldn't it? It may same a bit of time.
    Bill doesn't use a bucket, soap is coming straight from his foam gun.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the time of year and how dirty the vehicle is. This time of year with the salt and muck, I would use one mitt per panel, one side for the upper section and the other side for the lower section. There are times when I use the same wash mitt for the entire car but I use a use a rinse bucket with a washboard grit guard. I make sure that I use lightly colored mitts so that I can see the dirt and I can see if the washboard removes the grime. I also change the rinse water often. There are times when I use a foam gun and eliminate the soap bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use multiple mitts and a Gritguard, but I wasn't that convinced about the Gritguard and have since switched to the method Mike P. suggested. Plus it eliminates a 2nd bucket.

As for your worry about how long your TRC edgeless towels lasted (ie. 40 washes or so), I'd say that that is a reasonable life expectancy for a MF towel staying soft enough to be used for washing purposes. At that point, relegate them to less-sensitive uses. You can pick up a dozen of the green (or other color) edgeless MF's that Mike recommends for $20 or less, esp. with sales. And in the scheme of things, if you replace them every year, isn't that a small investment in order to maintain your vehicle's paint properly ?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    I used to use multiple mitts and a Gritguard, but I wasn't that convinced about the Gritguard and have since switched to the method Mike P. suggested. Plus it eliminates a 2nd bucket.

As for your worry about how long your TRC edgeless towels lasted (ie. 40 washes or so), I'd say that that is a reasonable life expectancy for a MF towel staying soft enough to be used for washing purposes. At that point, relegate them to less-sensitive uses. You can pick up a dozen of the green (or other color) edgeless MF's that Mike recommends for $20 or less, esp. with sales. And in the scheme of things, if you replace them every year, isn't that a small investment in order to maintain your vehicle's paint properly ?
    I've actually have use them for about 40 machine washes. I've bought about 25-30 first for rinseless washes and I've used all of them on the paint on each "rinseless wash" but since I got my pressure washer and foam cannon, I ended up delegating a few of them for other tasks and kept around 20 for regular washes, pretty much also the method Mike suggested (but adding pressure washer and foam cannon before towels touch the paint) but I only use around 10 per car wash (I still machine wash the towels immediately after use) to try to make them last longer since the towels would be machine washed once every two car washes, but yeah in total counting all rinseless and regular washes I'd say around 40 machine washes for each towel sounds about right. However the rag company claimed a life of around "500 hundred washes" when I bought them, I checked again and now it says "EXTREMELY DURABLE: Ability to Withstand Hundreds of Washings, Getting Softer With Each Use" So that's why I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

I also bought some of these at autogeek that have been in every machine wash as well:
    Cobra Chinchilla Microfiber Buffing Cloths 6 Pack

And while they're not like new, they seem still soft and okay.

And well again the "Dry Me Crazy" towel is still amazing and like new, so not sure what happened to those TRC towels and I don't know if they can actually scratch the car of it's just my perception. Even the ones that come "free" with Meguiars products such as when you buy a bottle of ultimate fast finish, clay kit, etc. feel so much better, I'd think those are really cheap ones similar to the ones sold in bulk in Costco but not sure either.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gotten in the habit of soaking all my towels, except the drying towels in a degreaser for a couple of days.
    I wring them out before I toss them in the washing machine.

Seems to make a difference. I still use hot wash, vinegar extra rinse and dry on normal.

No way does the film dirt come completely out with ANY kind of detergent.

Post Thanks / Like

Try mixing with a free and clear detergent with microfiber dry on low 20 mins then hang dry. Keeps my towels soft.

I usexone bucket with about 7 mitts. 2 for each side one for hood and front one for trunk one for mop up missed areas. Wash top to bottom. Ive got a mix of regular and chenille MF. Method works great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Likes BigEd05 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

any more inputs?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve added more mitts to the bucket (10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes vwite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 14 mitts for my typical bucket wash. Double fisted.
    This 3 gallon bucket is actually the bucket I toss my used mitts into. I use a 5 gallon bucket for the soap.

These 2 mitts are reserved for the rocker panels and underneath the front & rear bumper. I like that they’re 2 sided just in case I need to remove some caked on dirt or bugs down there.

14. Likes vwite liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast