autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE One Step Proficiency Tips

BLACKFIRE One Step Proficiency Tips

BLACKFIRE One Step

Mike Phillips was so kind to send me some products with the only stipulation that I give my honest feedback, good or bad. In the past anytime a vendor sends me a product, I have always reported back honesty. I know some people feel they will have to give a “good” review because the product was free and it’s also a guilt thing for getting a free product. Truth is that vendors want to hear of any issues so they can improve the formula or iron out any issues.

That being said, I you look at my post history, I’m a big fan of this AIO. I often purchase it with my own money and ALWAYS have it in stock. I love this and 3D Speed with the edge going to BF due to being able to synergistically adding a BF topper such as Midnight Sun or Hybrid Liquid wax to extend durability of One Step.

So rather than a review, I thought I would share some tips to make using this product faster and more efficient. If you are using this in a shop, time is money. If you are a DIY person, this will give you more time driving rather than working on your vehicle.

1: Polish the whole vehicle then wipe off

One Step will wipe off 8 hours later in direct sun like a dream. It actually wipes off easier the longer it sits. This allows you to concentrate on your specific task(buffing) ....no flipping between polishing and removal towels. The only time I stop buffing is to add more product or change pads.

2: Don’t stretch the section you are working on

This is IMPORTANT! By this what I mean don’t make the 2x2 (or whatever size section you start with) turn into half a hood by the last section pass. This is easy when following body lines. Where we tend to keep stretching a section is where there is no body line such as the hood or the middle of a door. We subconsciously keep overlapping a bit and by 8 section passes have added a considerable amount of surface area. I suggest in the areas where there is no body line to put a tiny dollop of Polish, then don’t touch that dollop to keep your area in check. When you start polishing the next section, simply put another tiny dollop where you want to overlap sections and pick up the old dollop as you begin to polish the new section. You will be amazed how this little technique saves you wasted polishing time over the course of a whole vehicle.

Also as you work around the vehicle, since you are leaving the one step on the paint, you will see where you have polished by the residue left behind. That also keeps you from stretching sections.

3: Transfer the product into more manageable 8oz squeeze bottles

The smaller bottles are easy to keep in your pocket or you apron. They also dispense product easier as the lid on the BF products is not the most user friendly IMO.

4: Use an ample amount of product

I always put a healthy bead of product around the entire edge of the pad. These people using pea size drops are not doing it right. This gives you enough abrasives to polish properly and enough lubrication to make polishing enjoyable. If you don’t believe this method then simply take a compound or polish and add 3 pea size drops. Then run at correction speed in a straight line as long as you can. The further you go, wipe off becomes difficult and cut drops off.

5: Don’t be afraid to use One Step as you one step polish package where you add a separate LSP step

This is a super easy product to use. Wipe off is much easier than most products on the market. It also has enough cut to deliver fantastic results. Keeps you experience great with less fatigue. Simple top with one of BF’s LSP’s.

6: Change your pads as often as possible

This goes for any compounding/polish/AIO The more pads the better.

That’s about all. I hope this can help someone in the future. I would like to thank Mike Phillips for sending me this product.

Questions and comments Are welcome.

Thank you
    Jim
    Jim

2. Thanks oneheadlite, Bruno Soares, mbkite, Jim w, vdevan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire One Step Proficiency Tips.

This is a great post! Good info for people new to the hobby or pros with years of experience, little something for everyone.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

4. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Mike Phillips was so kind to send me some products with the only stipulation that I give my honest feedback, good or bad. In the past anytime a vendor sends me a product, I have always reported back honesty. I know some people feel they will have to give a “good” review because the product was free and it’s also a guilt thing for getting a free product. Truth is that vendors want to hear of any issues so they can improve the formula or iron out any issues.

That being said, I you look at my post history, I’m a big fan of this AIO. I often purchase it with my own money and ALWAYS have it in stock. I love this and 3D Speed with the edge going to BF due to being able to synergistically adding a BF topper such as Midnight Sun or Hybrid Liquid wax to extend durability of One Step.

So rather than a review, I thought I would share some tips to make using this product faster and more efficient. If you are using this in a shop, time is money. If you are a DIY person, this will give you more time driving rather than working on your vehicle.

1: Polish the whole vehicle then wipe off. One Step will wipe off 8 hours later in direct sun like a dream. It actually wipes off easier the longer it sits. This allows you to concentrate on your specific task(buffing) ....no flipping between polishing and removal towels. The only time I stop buffing is to add more product or change pads.

2: Don’t stretch the section you are working on. This is IMPORTANT! By this what I mean don’t make the 2x2(or whatever size section you start with) turn into half a hood by the last section pass. This is easy when following body lines. Where we tend to keep stretching a section is where there is no body line such as the hood or the middle of a door. We subconsciously keep overlapping a bit and by 8 section passes have added a considerable amount of surface area. I suggest in the areas where there is no body line to put a tiny dollop of Polish, then don’t touch that dollop to keep your area in check. When you start polishing the next section, simply put another tiny dollop where you want to overlap sections and pick up the old dollop as you begin to polish the new section. You will be amazed how this little technique saves you wasted polishing time over the course of a whole vehicle.

Also as you work around the vehicle, since you are leaving the one step on the paint, you will see where you have polished by the residue left behind. That also keeps you from stretching sections.

3: Transfer the product into more manageable 8oz squeeze bottles. The smaller bottles are easy to keep in your pocket or you apron. They also dispense product easier as the lid on the BF products is not the most user friendly IMO.

4: Use the product. I always put a healthy bead of product around the entire edge of the pad. These people using pea size drops are not doing it right. This gives you enough abrasives to polish properly and enough lubrication to make polishing enjoyable. If you don’t believe this method then simply take a compound or polish and add 3 pea size drops. Then run at correction speed in a straight line as long as you can. The further you go, wipe off becomes difficult and cut drops off.

5: Don’t be afraid to use One Step as you one step polish package where you add a separate LSP step. This is a super easy product to use. Wipe off is much easier than most products on the market. It also has enough cut to deliver fantastic results. Keeps you experience great with less fatigue. Simple top with one of BF’s LSP’s.

6: This goes for any compounding/polish/AIO. Change your pads as often as possible. The more pads the better.

That’s about all. I hope this can help someone in the future. I would like to thank Mike Phillips for sending me this product.

Questions and comments Are welcome.

Thank you
    Jim
    What pad are you using with this product?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bowtie View Post
    What pad are you using with this product?
    In general, a white Hybrid Force 6.5 inch pad on the 3401 or a dark blue polishing Buff and shine 6 inch uro tech with the CBeast. Test spot determines if I need to go up or down on pad aggressiveness.
    Jim

7. Likes TTQ B4U, dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim -

Thanks for this post! Really great read. I'll be using BF One Step for the first time very soon, and this was a really nice concise rundown of great info!

Mike Phillips

Re: BLACKFIRE One Step Proficiency Tips

Nice work Jim.

I've made the title to this thread a blue clickable link for copy and paste purposes and also made it a sticky.

Anyone new to BLACKFIRE One Step - follow these proficiency tips and you'll turn out better work faster. Especially the part about using more pads.

10. Thanks 4getgto, Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Likes 4getgto liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir! Great tips for sure. Way to think outside of the box and share tips.

I too like to run this AIO on a white Hybrid pad and the 3401.

12. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love these tips Jim....Great work...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a suggestion for a good bottle (brand or top style) to transfer the product to ?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up. I'll probably buy some of this in the near future to give it a shot. Had I not just bought a gallon of HD speed it would be a lot sooner lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast