autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Rtrick87 View Post
    I’m currently at looking to expand my mobile detailing business to paint correction and coatings. I don’t have a garage and have been looking around. Been reading up on “labor charges” so you can cover the overhead.

As of now, I’m charging $130 for interiors with +$20 for third rows and $200-240 on wash, wheels/tires, paint sealant and full interior.

I’m in an area where there’s lots of beaches, lots of dogs and fishermen. I do the work out of my Dodge Durango and set up shop at customers houses. Usually takes me about 4-6 hours for full details and then i charge $50/hour when doing paint correction. I’m in North-Eastern Massachusetts where apartments rent for $1,800-2,400 for two bedrooms, so I know “commercial space” won’t be cheap. I’ve seen a few places for $1,200-2,500 a month.

Just looking for a little guidance and don’t know 100% where to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recently jumped in the pool of doing detailing as a part time business out of my shop. After doing the math, I came up with $65-75/hour is what I need to make to pay myself, taxes, retirement, etc. I set my prices at $220-$350 for an interior. sedan, full size crew cab, van/suburban. Where I'm at that is high, but for your current demographic, I think you could ask far more than what you have been. Particularly if the work is good and you are established.

2. Likes Rtrick87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From another perspective... I think the term correction gets thrown around way too much! What you consider true correction vs a customers expectations and budget maybe 2 totally different things! I have seen full 3 plus stages of correction producing near perfect results offered at $1,000 and I have also seen people barely cutting the defects down with a 1 step claiming to be full correction and wanting $600+... I think we have all seen cars where we are impressed with the quality of the outcome and seen cars where we have been like ah you paid for that?

4. Likes Mike Hoekstra, Rtrick87 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The prices do seem a bit low for paint correction. It also depends on the market that you're aiming for to be honest. Paint correction. I'm not mobile, and I just do it on the side. For me, I don't separate paint correction to washes and interiors because I charge 120 dollars, period. (I'm in Toronto Canada so not sure how it compares to yours). A wash always includes wheels, paint, and protection on the paint, plastic trim, and glass as well as iron decon. If I'm not polishing, I wont' clay. Find somebody else to do that. And I won't polish a specific person's car more than once a year. Some people don't like it, but thank me later in a few years. Also of course, I won't polish without washing. I'll use what the owner prefers, wax or sealant.

Point is, I don't differentiate between what I'm doing because a poor wash won't give you good polish results, which won't give you good coating results. If someone wants a 20 dollar car wash, I'll tell them the gas station tunnels wash your car for 14, why bother with me?

If you plan on coating, I don't know how easy it is to coat as mobile. Mostly because of the temperature and direct sunlight. For the easiest and quickest ways to do coatings, a garage would be the best bet. I've never done mobile so take it for what you will, there are a lot of people on here that do mobile so they can chime in like Dan already has.
    Appreciate this. I can do a 2 step but I only do that when I have good cover in a garage an adequate lighting. As of now; I offer “paint enhancement” services and do an all in one with HD Speed and have been doing that for about two years. I just want to up my services and be able to work in winter when it’s cold or on days where it’s raining. But want to be able to cover overhead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    Let's talk paint correction as a business.

What I have seen going from a side gig for 10 plus years to full time out of my garage, My standards are not what customers see. They want the protection, and a 1 step seems to be the "OMG I'M BLOWN AWAY" spot.

We have some crazy unrealistic standards when it comes to daily drivers.

I have had to really scale back perfection to deliver what the customer wants/has a budget for.

If i were a YouTuber, Everything would be perfect. Not the world we live in. So, try and package coatings with a 1 step correction, and upcharge for what a 2 plus step would be.

Last week I did a 1 step/3 year on an Outback. Just under 4hours and a retail of $499 plus tax. Customer was happy and i made a profit.

If you want to chat reach out with a PM. I can learn as much from you as you from me.

Always happy to share.

Yeah realistically, you don’t want to spend 6+ hours trying to make say a daily driven mustang that they are going to take to the car wash and use a bristle brush snow brush over the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Hello,

This is Dan with The Buffing Moose Detailing based out of Portsmouth, NH. I used to come out to the Gloucester area all the time to visit friends out there. I am very familiar with the place. To be quite frank with you...

Assuming your quality is at a very high level and you would agree, then I have the feeling that you are undercharging for such an area.

In my neck of the woods, commercial space is going for the same ball park as well as residential housing rates. And that’s the low average...I can relate being a mobile service myself And “close enough” to you.

When was the last time you evaluated your prices? Perhaps thought about an increase? For paint correction, I average about $100/hr. For my detailing stuff such as interior and wash and waxed, I take a minimum of 3-4 hours just the inside and 2 hours outside. I average about $75/hr for those type of jobs.

I have the feeling that if you are aiming to do paint correction, you should be able to raise that desired hourly rate a notch. I am thinking $65/hr. Good quality paint correction should be well compensated for the time.

In terms of ceramic coatings, it depends if you are trying to offer a warranty program such as Opti-Coat where they have minimum advertised pricing.

Otherwise you should be able to offer something like Optimum Gloss Coat as an add on to a paint correction for another $300 give or take for a prosumer grade coating. I would consider that a minimum for the area.

I hope this helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Dan, I believe we texted over the winter. I have since got a new phone and wouldn’t be able to recall our conversation.

Post Thanks / Like

@OP not trying to hijack your thread, how do we know if we doing paint correction correctly, I know stupid but I mean, I could get a few scratches out does that mean I’m a pro? No. What defines yes your doing it right or what are you doing scenario?

Post Thanks / Like

Prices should be based on experience, whatever your cost, and or area. I charge $185-$1000. Then it goes up based on add on's....add on pricing can range. I charge $75 for light pet hair in small vehicles and $120 for large vehicles. If it's excessive then price double. Keep in mind I'm in a high income area so I can do that but what you charge may very in your area based upon your personal circumstances. Paint correction starts at $1600 and then goes up accordingly

Sent from my SM-G986U using Autogeekonline mobile app

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

The average cost of car detailing can range from $50 to a whopping $300. But why is the gap range so big? That is because there are a lot of factors to consider such as location, service, and many others.
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 09-15-2022 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Spam / Links

Post Thanks / Like

I personally wouldn't charge hourly for correction , I would charge for the job . Also, I would call it paint enhancement instead of correction . For a daily driven car correction is pointless , the owner will scratch and swirl right after the first wash . You are just degrading the clearcoat so that car looks pretty when he picks it up. I find most customers would be wow if you just do a one step polish with some good sealant. Just my novice experience .
    I usually do spot correction and I would go over with the customer to see which areas bother them or which areas need to be corrected, I would also advised them that it wont be perfect but it will be better. Expectation and reality are very different things , I would usually set the expectations a bit lower so they are way happier when they see the results.

I would personally stay away from coatings outside , I m not too familiar with every coating so there may be one out there that is outdoor friendly , but its not worth the hassle to me , specially on a black car . I would probably be ok on a white car. If the customer has a garage sure I would go ahead and do a coating .

Just my 0.002 cents , good luck

12. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't be the guy that offers cut rate services to fit a customers cut rate budget. I understand we all do what we have to do to build a business, but don't build a business on cut rate services, those are a dime a dozen. Build up to a business that offers only top of the line services, and you will be financially rewarded.
    My opinion.

14. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12