autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Any way to correct this?

Here's one of the pictures so it's easier for everyone to see.... icture:

Here's what I do for defects like this,

Take a 3" 3M Trizact #5000 sanding disc, or #3000 sanding disc if you have good skills, a little expereince and are feeling like living on the edge of a razor blade, then lightly sand against the scratches at about a 90 degree angle.

Then buff.

Here's what I always say, for as long as I've been posting online,

You don't know what you can do until you try -Mike Phillips

And

You cannot always remove a defect but you can often times improve a defect -Mike Phillips

Right in the middle of the roof on this Porsche I detailed last weekend there was a bird dropping etching that had RAISED the paint, that is caused it to swell. This is a DANGEROUS type of defect to sand.

Around it were some HORRIBLE looking deeper scratches where some EXPERT thought they would rub some kind of compound over it to remove it. Both defects INSTANTLY caught your eyes.

I hand sanded with some #5000 grit and a little SONAX Glass Cleaner and then hit that spot with the BEAST with a LC orange foam hybrid cutting pad and some 3D ONE and after this - it was almost invisible. The only way you could find this defect is if you already knew where to look and had the right light to see it.

Review: 3D Wipe Panel Wipe for Ceramic Coatings

Just walking the talk man....

2. Likes Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

You cannot always remove a defect but you can often times improve a defect -Mike Phillips
    To echo Mike's comment, here are the before and after pictures of my wife's Buick Enclave bumper. Having prior experience doing custom painting, and as a production painter at work helped me know how far I could go living on that "razors edge". I knew full well that I wasn't going to get the entire bit of damage out, but I could at least take it from a visible 15 foot accident damage to a 2 foot inclusion. There is spider webbing and crazing still that won't come out, but you can see the before and after is a big improvement. I started out wet sanding with 800 through 3000 grit. Don't add muscle, just let the sandpaper do the work lightly. I then used my Flex 3" random orbit polisher with blue and orange Lake Country hydro tech pads and Meguires 105 and 205 compound and polish. I then topped it off with Wolfgang paint sealant.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Are you thinking it's bare plastic? The second picture shows a glimpse of the bottom of the headlight, so I think we're looking at an area which is painted/clear coated plastic to match the entire car.
    No, I see that it is painted.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12