autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

This test to compare Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus some traditional sealants. I tried to break vertical panels up into comparable groupings.
    The panels were cleaned with PBL Surface Cleansing Lotion and were squeaky clean to the touch afterwards.
    The sealants were applied on 4/24/2020 late at night. 62degF in the garage during application, temp went as low as 57degF during the night time curing. On each panel, Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant resides in the middle.

Below are all contestants listed drivers side to passengers side:

Hood - The OG Slicksters
    - Blackfire Sealant
    - Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
    - Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant
    - Jescar Powerlock
    - Four Star Ultimate Paint Protectant
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2659-jpg

Back Roof - The Modern Classics
    - PBL Sealant
    - Mckees Hi Def
    - Polish Angel Master Sealant
    - 3D HD Poxy
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2662-jpg

Trunk Lid - The OG Beasts
    - Collinite 476
    - Collinite 845
    - Sonax PNS
    - Finish Kare 1000p Hi Temp Paste Wax
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2663-jpg

Front Roof - Bonus Contestants
    - Collinite 915
    - Poorboys EX-P
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2664-jpg

The car is still in the garage and will stay there until a minimum 24 hours cure time. I’ll post back for updates.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I forgot to mention, these sealants are so amazingly slick. PNS is of course not so slick. Poxy is more smooth like a carnauba than slick. All the others feel like Beadmaker slick. Gotta love sealants if you like this kind of thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!

Cool test, thanks for taking the time to set this up and test these products out!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Really looking forward to your results...thanks for posting

Post Thanks / Like

Good one!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Update (the next day):
    First beading shots after a night of heavy rain. Everything looks great. Sealants aren’t shabby beaders, even if they don’t sheet as well as ceramic-infused products. Still, PNS looks slightly nicer than the rest. WG SiO2 slightly nicer than most the sealants. But when brand new, these all look great.

I’ll include reference shots with updates to remember what products are where.

Hood
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-adjustments-jpg
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2678-jpg

Trunk Lid
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2681-jpg

Back Roof
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2680-jpg

Front Roof
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2679-jpg

I then took the car on a 1.5 hour drive through heavy rain with my son (because we NEED to get out of the house and driving is the only truly mobile-quarantine thing to do these days). I mention this because I’ve been putting on 100+ miles per day on this car over the past 3 weeks due to these rides. And when there is moderate rain, we storm chase. Today there was no need to chase, it’s a one-inch washout throughout the day.

My point above is that this car doesn’t just sit outside during these tests. It drives. And when possible it drives through rain, wind or snow. So consider it a mini-real life torture test as long as the country remains shut down.

6. Thanks Mike@DedicatedPerfection thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update 5/4/20:

Car has been driven non-stop to avoid my son and I living through mass boredom (lucky for me he loves car rides). We go storm chasing. Car has been outside at all times. Lots of rain last week. The car has gone ~1000 miles in the 11 or so days since application.

The car has been washed twice with glossless soap. Below are hose shots showing beading/sheeting at ~2sec and ~5sec after hose spraying was stopped:

Hood:
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2764-jpg
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2766-jpg
    Observation of sheeting performance:
    1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) Four Star UPP
    3) Jescar Powerlock
    4) WG DGPS
    5) BF Sealant

Trunk lid:
    1) PNS
    2) WG SiO2 PS
    3) Collinite 476
    4) Collinite 845
    5) FK1000p

Back roof:
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2761-jpg
    Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant versus Traditional Sealants - Test!-img_2763-jpg
    1) WG SiO2 PS
    2) PBL Sealant
    3) PA Master Sealant
    4) Mckees Hi Def
    5) HD Poxy

Front roof:
    Forgot to take pics. 915 sheeting quite faster than EX-P.

Overall thoughts on beading/sheeting combined:
    1) PNS sheets and beads best
    2) WG SiO2 sheets and beads best

- I don’t want to make bold observations about the remaining products on different sections, angles, etc., so I’ll group the remainders:

3-7) Real good group - UPP, PBL, 476, 915, 845
    8-13) Medium group - PL, DGPS, BF, PA MS, M37 Hi Def, FK1000p
    14-15) Meh group - HD Poxy, PB EX-P

8. Thanks Mike@DedicatedPerfection, Belo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time not only to divide the car up and apply various products but also documenting and sharing with us.

Looks like the new WG Si02 is performing admirably well.

Whats on the X5M?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for making the effort and doing the review. I just applied the WG SIO2 this past weekend....really looking forward to see it's performance long term

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Thank you for taking the time not only to divide the car up and apply various products but also documenting and sharing with us.

Looks like the new WG Si02 is performing admirably well.

Whats on the X5M?
    Yeah I really like the WG SiO2... a lot. I’m actually jealous to those of you who have applied to a whole car. I don’t have enough cars to have done that yet... only test panels.

The X5M has a WG hood test and miscellaneous roof test (to re-test some products that I had odd results with recently).

The X5M vertical panels are just a stew of different products I’m trying to use up. Each year when my winter protection degrades (Enigma Wax this year), I tend to use Hydro Blue and old spray waxes and QDs to hold me over through pollen season. Early June is when I correct and put on some summer bling protection. To answer your question, the vertical panels had Hydro Blue in March and since have a bunch of M37 Fast Wax, Trademark Extender Wax and I dry aid with Ultimate Quik Detailer.

12. Likes Mike@DedicatedPerfection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for setting this up. I just prepped and applied 2 coats of WG Si02 to my F150a month ago.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast