autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone like and use 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish?

3D ONE has become my “go to” compound/polish at the shop pretty much as soon as I got my hands on some. That’s not to say it absolutely works every time in every situation on every vehicle that’s in front of me but hey - that’s what test spots are for yeah?

I love the fact it almost doesn’t dust at all. I’m not apposed to other compounds dusting at all, that’s kinda part & parcel of compounding & chopping down paint but if you can save time cleaning up ... bravo!

I read Mike’s review on 3D ONE & was intrigued & after having my first taste of 3D products after returning home from Detail Fest 2018, I was excited for more.

Another fantastic review that grabbed my attention was from our very own Justin Sherwood. Not only seeing the results Justin was achieving & the “working” experience with 3D ONE but also a method he was using.

Just as Justin mentions in his review, this methodology doesn’t work every time but it’s a fantastic & very efficient way to work when it does.

3D ONE - tool of choice - compounding/cutting pad - carry out your required passes for defect removal, do not wipe off residue but simply swap out to your polishing/finishing pad - add a small amount of 3D ONE & carry out your polishing/refining/finishing steps utilising the already present 3D ONE residue ....

As soon as I received my 3D ONE I tried Justin’s technique off the bat & still do this today. It’s an incredibly efficient way of working & product use is an absolute minimum too.

Justin’s review - 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

My “go to” set ups are obviously variable depending on what’s in front of me at the time but -

I have a sweet spot doing the 3D ONE “double team” approach with Lake Country’s Purple Foamed Wool pads via (Flex PE-150) Rotary & Lake Country Orange SDO or White CCS on (Flex XFE-15 or 3401) a DA for heavyweight work.

Heavy polishing & my favourite set up is the Flex 3401vrg equipped with Lake Country’s Blue SDO pads & switching out to Orange SDO pads. I enjoy working with this combination, tool, pads & products just seem to gel for me. If the paintwork is a bit more beat up I’ll swap the Blue SDO for a Lake Country Low Lint Wool pad for extra bite.

3D ONE is a great choice for carrying out refining work too, like a good two step (Polish & Seal) & dependant on paint condition, pad choice is variable.

Over all, I’m a fan of 3D ONE! It’s a great performer with a long working time & minimal mess/fuss. I haven’t come across any situation where it’s been difficult to remove the residue etc & I cannot see it being demoted from the top shelf at the shop any time soon ...

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Goonie75, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love this stuff. Has made me a ton of money. On some paints it gives results in one step that would need two.

And it's priced very nice.

Can be a bit oily if you use too much but otherwise it works awesome.

Many.times I have cut with a microfiber cutting pad, left the residue on the paint. Switched to a finishing pad and went right back over it for a quick 2 step.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Another fantastic review that grabbed my attention was from our very own Justin Sherwood. Not only seeing the results Justin was achieving & the “working” experience with 3D ONE but also a method he was using.

Just as Justin mentions in his review, this methodology doesn’t work every time but it’s a fantastic & very efficient way to work when it does.

3D ONE - tool of choice - compounding/cutting pad - carry out your required passes for defect removal, do not wipe off residue but simply swap out to your polishing/finishing pad - add a small amount of 3D ONE & carry out your polishing/refining/finishing steps utilizing the already present 3D ONE residue ....

As soon as I received my 3D ONE I tried Justin’s technique off the bat & still do this today. It’s an incredibly efficient way of working & product use is an absolute minimum too.

Thanks for the shout out brother. And glad to pass on some advice that you have found useful.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

6. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Dislikes Aaryn NZ disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a good product. Versatile in its use from cutting to polishing. It may not have the most gloss for a finishing polish but for one steps it is just fine. It does take a few more swipes of the towel during wipe off which will load up the towel even if less product is used.

It does do a nice job on interior pieces as well.

8. Likes PaulMys, Goonie75, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It does take a few more swipes of the towel during wipe off which will load up the towel even if less product is used.
    Mike, this reminded me of some users referring to ONE as "oily".

Is this the reason for the removal issues you mentioned?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Mike, this reminded me of some users referring to ONE as "oily".

Is this the reason for the removal issues you mentioned?
    Yes that is the reason. It is not as oily like a Menzerna polish. A prep wipe helps to remove it rather easily.

Mike Phillips

Just to comment on this... I've highlighted the key point in blue text.

3D ONE - tool of choice - compounding/cutting pad -

carry out your required passes for defect removal, do not wipe off residue but simply swap out to your polishing/finishing pad - add a small amount of 3D ONE & carry out your polishing/refining/finishing steps utilizing the already present 3D ONE residue

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here and I'll preface this by saying,

"Yes" I do this, that is instead of wiping off the residue after the initial passes with the cutting pad - instead, just switch to the polishing or finishing pad, add a tick of product and re-polish right over the residue.

This is called a Cheater Technique.

The "purist" detailers in the world, the experts in the blogosphere would argue,

When you do this, because the initial step removed paint, by leaving this residue on the paint and polishing over it you're buffing or grinding the removed paint [in the residue] back into the paint. This is one reason you wipe the initial residue off and also either clean your pad or switch to a clean pad because the face of the pad always has 2 things building up on it,

1: Spent product
    2: Removed paint

Me? I can see the purist point of view and the cheater technique point of view. Which approach to depends on "you" and the project in front of you. There's a HUGE difference in buffing out a white daily driver and a black show car as far as the price you charge and the expectations for results.

I can use both detailing styles, the purist full metal jacket professional and the lazy man's methodology where the goal is to get the job done well and also get it done fast while saving time and energy. I usually prefer the lazy man's techniques and have even pioneered a few of my own.

Here's a REAL lazy man's technique. BUT - it means you're NOT going to use a ceramic paint coating.

After the initial pass with the 3D One, leave the residue on the paint and then switch to 3D Speed and your choice of polishing or finishing pad.

The 3D speed when allowed to fully dry will wipe off MUCH EASIER than any brand of compound or polish. Fact. The 3D Speed will act like a "polish" to refine the results of the compound and cutting pad, that is remove any marring or haze. The 3D Speed will also leave behind a layer of protection, (Montan Wax and other syns), and thus you're done.

Faster because you're not spending time wiping off the residue from the first step process, easier because the dried Speed simply wipes off easy. Done --> results will look great and you can stick a fork in it and kick it out the door.

Something for everyone, purists can invest 100% of their time and energy into 100% of their projects and the rest of us can pick an choose, sometimes we go full purist and sometimes we go lazy man style. Knowing which approach to use comes from both wisdom and experience.

I've also done the above with other compounds and BLACKFIRE One Step. Like Speed, it corrects great, leaves the finish protected and wipes off super easy if you let it dry first. In fact, 99.9% of the time, I'll machine the entire car with either the BF One Step or the Speed and then wipe-off.

With some compounds and polishes, it's better for the paint and easier on you to wipe off immediately while the film of residue is still wet on the surface as the polishing oils are a type of lubricant for the wiping process.

But when it comes to any quality one-step product, the protection ingredients are not only a type of wet lubricant when applying, but when dry are also a form of DRY LUBRICANT to make wiping them off easier and safer.

Remember - clearcoats paints are scratch-sensitive.

The above is some DEEP stuff, take a few minute to read, re-read and digest and you'll be a smarter detailer.

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love

- 3D One new compound/polish quick review!

Aaryn,

Those pictures are great. Love the way you composed them with polishers and stool in the foreground and vehicle in the background. Well done. Always enjoy your work and photos

Mike Phillips

- Thursday, March 9th

See my brand new review here,

Review: 3D Paint Coating and 3D One Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

If you replied to this thread, do me a favor and also share your thoughts about 3D One, or the Paint Coating or any 3D products in the above review.

I'll be sending this to the man himself.

Post Thanks / Like

Had my first experience with 3D One over the last couple of days and wanted to share my thoughts on the product.

Vehicle worked on, 2020 Toyota Corolla in Blizzard Pearl White. Beautiful color and like many has mentioned in other posts, hides defects extremely well.

Products used, Makita PO5000 with Lake Country White and Orange Force 5.5" pads. 4 pea sized drops to prime the pad and 3 pea sized drops for each subsequent section with 5 section passes gave me results that I was happy with.

During each section pass, I could tell that the product would have a long work time since it was so lubricated or oily. Also because of that, it NEVER once dusted. Absolutely ZERO dust. I don't mind a little dust and to some detailers, saves time with clean up.

As far as correcting ability, being that this was a new car and being prepared for ceramic coating, it was able to polish the paint extremely well with the white force pads. There was a section on the passenger side doors that had some defects that I assume was from the dealer's detailer that the white pads did not remove. So I switched to the orange force pad, same process, and was able to remove those defects as well as finishing down without a need to switch to the white force pads.

Now for removal, I did research and read everyone saying that it took a little more effort to remove and I would say that is the case. My absolute personal favorite that I keep on the shelf due to how easy it is to remove and can compare to is Griot's Fast Correcting Cream. That removes without any effort. Wipe with one side of the microfiber to remove majority of the residue, flip, re-wipe and done. That wasn't the case with 3D One. I would say it took me 3 to 4 towel folds to remove One completely. I also have plenty of experience with Menzerna 300,400 and 3800 and well as the Jescar twins. Menz 300,400 and Jescar compound removes easily as well and would have to put 3D One comparably close to the likes of 3800 and Jescar finishing polishes as far as the removal.

To summarize, long working time, no dusting, great cut and finish that's dependent on pad choice/technique and slightly more effort to remove. I'll be using this product again on a third generation, black Lexus IS350 this weekend so I'll be able to give another review then with my findings. Possibly try out the lazy man technique and less product to see if I can get an easier experience removing the compound.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast