autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to avoid germs - Gas Station

I tried shopping for surgical masks to have to avoid the virus and even here in Florida where there are no cases yet, they are all sold out at my local drug store. Gonna have to order online and quickly!
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe all of the knee-jerk reactions over this topic. Unless you're a sickly type, have general health issues, or air travel often, the risks posed by the current corona virus outbreak are practically nil at this point in time. And take away any threat from the current virus and look only at the generic threats out there everyday and your risk is even less.

Do what you may to feel safe, that is your choice. For me, I have never worried about anything like this and I'm sure not starting now.

My only concern is from a financial perspective. I've lost a lot of money over the last three days.

3. Likes Finick liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post

I can't believe all of the knee-jerk reactions over this topic.

Just to note - I put the gloves-at-gas-station "best practice" a few years ago when traveling. Long before this most recent virus issue.

When I'm traveling teaching classes, and before that shooting a TV show, it's no fun to do these sick and there's too much money already invested to simply call in sick.

I hope for the best and in the next few weeks if there is going to be an "issue" here in America it will start showing up. If nothing rears it's ugly heard, then we can count ourselves lucky.

Still doesn't hurt to stay informed and be prepared.

5. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The U.S. couldn't be more ill-prepared for this.

In 2018, the NSC’s entire global health security unit was shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his entire team inside the agency. The month before, Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, was pressured to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10.

Now today, we learn of this ...

"Federal health employees interacted with Americans quarantined for possible exposure to the coronavirus without proper medical training or protective gear, then scattered into the general population, according to a government whistle-blower.

In a portion of a complaint filing that has been submitted to the Office of the Special Counsel, the whistle-blower, described as a senior leader at the Department of Health and Human Services, said the team was “improperly deployed” to two military bases in California to assist the processing of Americans who had been evacuated from coronavirus hot zones in China and elsewhere.

The staff members were sent to Travis Air Force Base and March Air Reserve Base and were ordered to enter quarantined areas, including a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received. They were not provided training in safety protocols until five days later, the person said.

Without proper training or equipment, some of the exposed staff members moved freely around and off the bases, with at least one person staying in a nearby hotel and leaving California on a commercial flight. Many were unaware of the need to test their temperature three times a day."

The above sounds like something right out of a bad Hollywood movie (Outbreak, etc.) and you couldn't possibly dream up a worse scenario.

7. Likes PaulMys, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57Rambler View Post
    The U.S. couldn't be more ill-prepared for this.

In 2018, the NSC’s entire global health security unit was shut down, calling for reassignment of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer and dissolution of his entire team inside the agency. The month before, Ziemer’s DHS counterpart, Tom Bossert, was pressured to resign along with his team. Neither the NSC nor DHS epidemic teams have been replaced. The global health section of the CDC was so drastically cut in 2018 that much of its staff was laid off and the number of countries it was working in was reduced from 49 to merely 10.

Now today, we learn of this ...

"Federal health employees interacted with Americans quarantined for possible exposure to the coronavirus without proper medical training or protective gear, then scattered into the general population, according to a government whistle-blower.

In a portion of a complaint filing that has been submitted to the Office of the Special Counsel, the whistle-blower, described as a senior leader at the Department of Health and Human Services, said the team was “improperly deployed” to two military bases in California to assist the processing of Americans who had been evacuated from coronavirus hot zones in China and elsewhere.

The staff members were sent to Travis Air Force Base and March Air Reserve Base and were ordered to enter quarantined areas, including a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received. They were not provided training in safety protocols until five days later, the person said.

Without proper training or equipment, some of the exposed staff members moved freely around and off the bases, with at least one person staying in a nearby hotel and leaving California on a commercial flight. Many were unaware of the need to test their temperature three times a day."

The above sounds like something right out of a bad Hollywood movie (Outbreak, etc.) and you couldn't possibly dream up a worse scenario.
    15,000+ flu deaths in US since October 1 2019 thru February 1 2020 and we are worried about corona? Reality check time.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020

While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus.

"As a side note that's almost 10% of the entire US population catching the flu"

And:

While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

That's the real story.

And Covid 19 is creating a buying opportunity in the stock market.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The trend here as of late, at work, gas pumps, grocery stores has been hand sanitizer gel and wipes stations. Good thing. I use them often.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

11. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank Mike, that’s great advice. I will be doing this from now on to.

13. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are many reasons Covid-19 is worse than influenza and will have an effect at least as bad as the Spanish Flu of 1918.

Influenza has a mortality rate of 0.13%, Covid-19 has a mortality rate of 2% and could go up. It is 20 times more deadly than flu.

Influenza infects 1.28 people per patient and Covid-19 infects 2.24-3.58 per case. Covid-19 is perhaps 3x more contagious than flu. On the cruise ship, each patient infected 14 others. 20% of Covid-19 patients need hospitalization versus less than 1% for influenza. Our health system is not prepared for those numbers, so just getting treatment might be a challenge.

There is no natural immunity to Covid-19 and of course no one has had a vaccination. Also, once a patient has had Covid-19, they can get it again as has happened in 14% of the China cases.

Sources for these facts are given in this Reddit post. Reddit is NSFW overall and I'm not even sure we are allowed to link to it from here, but this particular thread is useful because of the sources given.

Some of those sources are these (in case that link gets moderated) :
    Disease Burden of Influenza | CDC
    https://www.who.int/docs/default-sou...rsn=a7158807_4
    Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID-19): The epidemic and the challenges. - PubMed - NCBI
    14% of recovered coronavirus patients in China's Guangdong tested positive again, East Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Measuring "total deaths so far" is not a good way to assess the impact of Covid-19 because it is just getting started. A third of the people you know will get this and have symptoms. Most cases are mild (yay) but it is still 20x more deadly than the flu.

Now I'm just wondering if McKees37 Total Interior Cleaner kills the virus or if I need to use Clorox wipes in my car...
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    15,000+ flu deaths in US since October 1 2019 thru February 1 2020 and we are worried about corona? Reality check time.

So far, 16,000 people have died and 280,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC

So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.Feb 11, 2020

While everyone is in a panic about the coronavirus (officially renamed COVID-19 by the World Health Organization), there's an even deadlier virus many people are forgetting about: the flu.

Flu season is hitting its stride right now in the US. So far, the CDC has estimated (based on weekly influenza surveillance data) that at least 12,000 people have died from influenza between Oct. 1, 2019 through Feb. 1, 2020, and the number of deaths may be as high as 30,000.

The CDC also estimates that up to 31 million Americans have caught the flu this season, with 210,000 to 370,000 flu sufferers hospitalized because of the virus.

"As a side note that's almost 10% of the entire US population catching the flu"

And:

While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

That's the real story.

And Covid 19 is creating a buying opportunity in the stock market.

15. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^RE: coronavirus (aka: Covid-19)^^^

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

17. Likes bofh, PaulMys, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

good idea,,gloves and mask can only help,,I also try to take supplents such as vitamin C and elderberry to boost my immune system the best I can.
    When it comes to a virus such as Corona (covid 19) there is no perfect plan I imagine,we just do the best we can
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

19. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast