autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Captains coating over Awlcraft

Quote Originally Posted by capt tom View Post

I plan on using the purple foamed wool pad on the DA with the all in one for boat
    Which DA polisher are you using?

AND - what size backing plate does it have?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure which brand, researching now. I am thinking 6" something in the 150-200 range for my first one to get my feet wet. Maybe Griots, Please let me know what you recommend. Thanks

Mike Phillips

Not sure which brand, researching now. I am thinking 6" something in the 150-200 range for my first one to get my feet wet. Maybe Griots,

Please let me know what you recommend. Thanks

I think the best entry level orbital polisher is the Griot's G9 hands down.

It has the most power, great build quality and also a great warranty.

My personal preference for orbitals for boats is the gear-driven BEAST or Supa BEAST, but that's also in the $450.00 range. So if you want to stick with a less costly option, go with the Griot's G9.

The G9 comes with a 6" backing plate, my recommendation for car detailing is to spend the $20 bucks and get the 5" backing plate but for large flat surfaces like the sides of a boat hull the 6" backing plate will work fine. Plus you can always get a 3" backing plate for the G9 and then use 3.5 and 4" pads for smaller, thinner more intricate areas. A very versatile tool.

As far as pads go there's lots of good options, but the condition of the gel-coat is the big factor.

For heavy oxidation - using a one-step cleaner/wax, then go with these, one is for the 5" backing plate the other for the 6" backing plate that comes on the G9

6 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

7 inch RUPES Coarse Wool Polishing Pad

For light oxidation, I'd probably still go with the above but you could also try the RUPES blue foam coarse cutting pads. I show these in my boat detailing classes for polishing after compounding with a wool pad on a rotary.

Rupes Foam Pads, rupes polishing foam

And here's the deal, it's something I talk about all the time, if you're new here you might not know, but when buffing out ANYTHING more pads is better. Especially if you go with foam pads. As you work around a boat or car the foam will become saturated and then it will become soft. When this happens you're just wasting your time.

With a fiber pad, there's a LOT less foam backing to become wet and they are THINNER so even when they do become wet or saturated with product, they will still cut and rotate well.

Kind of have to experiment and see what combo works best with your product choice.

Both the one-step products in the Marine 31 line work great. For medium to heavy oxidation go with the heavy cut cleaner wax.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax, boat cleaner wax, gel coat cleaner wax

For light oxidation and to maintain a gel-coat boat, go with the all-in-one gel coat polish and wax. (both are cleaner/waxes)

Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish and Wax, boat cleaner wax, boat polish and wax

Lots to learn about doing one-steps when it comes to boats and cars. Here's a tip,

If working on moderate to heavy oxidation then use the product heavy or wet. If working on light oxidation or for maintenance, you can reduce the amount of product you use. Basically, you use a one-step or AIO like a compound. Don't believe anyone that says,

Apply 3 Pea Sized drops

Absolute newbism

Hope that helps.

Mike Phillips

For anyone reading this thread into the future,

I'm the only one on Planet Earth that can actually create a thread like this one,

Boat Detailing Training - Before & After Pictures - The MOST DOCUMENTED HANDS-ON Boat Detailing Classes - Autogeek - Stuart, Florida

Because I'm the only one that teaches REAL hand-on boat detailing classes AND knows how to make pictures magically show up on a forum.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

I have been working on the 23 foot sea hunt and it is coming along nicely. I sure wish that I could have made your class last week, the pictures look great. I appreciate the advice on using the DA over the rotary for the final polish, I did a couple of test spots and the difference is huge.

I wanted to get your thoughts on using the captains coating on the vinyl seating and non-skid and if you have any advice for either one. Also, is it OK to do a second coat?

Thanks

It may hurt your neck to look at this picture but I don’t know how to fix it

Captains coating over Awlcraft-d015b677-895d-4d02-8d7e-ac3f63818265-jpg

EDIT: I've fixed the picture and "inserted" it. -Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tom, don't do too good of a job or the owner of the boat next to you may want you to do his.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hi Mike, I have been working on the 23 foot sea hunt and it is coming along nicely. I sure wish that I could have made your class last week, the pictures look great.
    The class is this weekend.

Video: First Training Boat Arrived - The REAL DEAL Boat Detailing Classes

Absolute strangers to the owner of both boats are going to learn how to

MACHINE WETSAND These two boats.

The second boat for this weekend's class arrives tomorrow.

Last weekend I was teaching classes at the 2020 Mobile Tech Expo. My boat class was standing room only. Meghan is trying to track down a picture taken from my point of view, that is me looking at the class.

I appreciate the advice on using the DA over the rotary for the final polish, I did a couple of test spots and the difference is huge.
    Glad to hear this.... It's hard to troubleshoot car detailing with a keyboard and even more difficult for boats.

I wanted to get your thoughts on using the captains coating on the vinyl seating and non-skid and if you have any advice for either one. Also, is it OK to do a second coat?
    The Captains Coating is for hard surfaces. I've never used nor tried on pliable surfaces. We have a product for that called Mildew Guard and it works great.

Marine 31 Mildew Guard, mildew blocker, boat vinyl mildew protector

For non-skid we have this,

Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba

I've heard it works great but think about it, if you SCRUB your non-skid when you wash the boat you're going to micro-abrade it off so you'll need to re-apply. Nothing lasts forever - not even you or I.

You could learn so much at my boat class, sorry you cannot make it. Keep in mind, it's ALWAYS the same time every year. Shouldn't be a mystery after teaching this hands-on class since 2013

Mike Phillips

Wow!

Looks like it's LIQUID WET!

Nice work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'll through this out there, again, don't know your budget,

50% of the people that take my boat detailing classes are NOT boat detailers but simply boat OWNERS that want to learn how to work on thier own boat. I am the ONLY guy on Planet Earth that teaches a REAL boat detailing class.

By the word REAL - I mean I bring in 2 boats in absolutely HORRIBLE condition and teach my class how to restore them to BETTER THAN NEW on the inside and outside. By the time you're done taking the class, not only will you know exactly how to apply a ceramic coating you'll also know which tools you LOVE and which tools you don't want to buy as I cover ALL the major tools on the market.

If you go to a brand specific class, you will only get to use one brand of tool.

Here's info about the class,

2020 Boat Detailing Class - Dates and Info

And I get all types of people. Young guys, old guys and yes, girls and ladies too....

Here's Lindsey MACHINE SANDING with the BEAST aka the FLEX 3401

You go head Lindsey with your bad self Captains coating over Awlcraft🤣Captains coating over Awlcraft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ClearVue18 View Post

You go head Lindsey with your bad self Captains coating over Awlcraft��Captains coating over Awlcraft.

Lindsey has her own successful detailing business. She also took my 3-day class.

I ran into her at Mobile Tech Expo and she told me since taking my classes she's also taken a few other car detailing classes, (there are no other boat detailing classes), and she said some interesting comments,

1: There were no cars to work on, only hoods.

2: The abrasive technology, (compounds and polishes), left micro-marring and the instructor said it was normal.

3: The classes felt like full day sales pitches.

4: Said there was nothing close to the amount she learned at my class and the fun she had at my classes.

I love running into past students.

12. Likes ClearVue18 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12