autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: B-Pillar Scratches : Why

Be sure to always CD test your mitts before use. If the CD mars, so will the car.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about the cd test..... I don’t even think our cars can play cds anymore

Post Thanks / Like

I will echo a couple others- looks like micro fissures in the plastic part as the pattern is very specifically organic looking in the close up picture. Having worked at a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer I have seen it happen with the pillar cladding a few times- even on a vehicle that was less than 2yrs old (even up here in northern New England). How old is the vehicle? If it is in fact micro fissures/cracking I would see if Porsche would be able to cover it under warranty- they are a lot better with covering items like that under warranty than VW/Audi are.

4. Likes ERP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Be sure to always CD test your mitts before use. If the CD mars, so will the car.
    I hadn't heard of this before, I bet the mitt scratches... I'll try and dig up a CD to test it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post
    I forgot about the cd test..... I don’t even think our cars can play cds anymore
    I still have one! Don't know if it's ever been used though...

Quote Originally Posted by JKDesign View Post
    I will echo a couple others- looks like micro fissures in the plastic part as the pattern is very specifically organic looking in the close up picture. Having worked at a VW/Audi/Porsche dealer I have seen it happen with the pillar cladding a few times- even on a vehicle that was less than 2yrs old (even up here in northern New England). How old is the vehicle? If it is in fact micro fissures/cracking I would see if Porsche would be able to cover it under warranty- they are a lot better with covering items like that under warranty than VW/Audi are.
    It's a 2018 Macan former loaner (CPO'd) from CT living in SC. Apparently they have the same issues of the black trim underneath the plastic cracking. I'll see what I can do about getting a more accurate photo up, I don't see colors right so it's possible it's cracked and I'm just not processing it. If its the trim underneath, it looks like most people get it fixed under warranty. I'd probably still toss on some PPF either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Just took another look - I can’t get a better photo, but it’s got some marks on the surface but it definitely is cracked underneath.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I install the blackout tape for bodyshops, haven't done any Porsches but they are either matte black, gloss black vinyl or some sort of plastic hard trim. If you on the inside of the door frame you may see the edge of the vinyl. Also you could call the parts department and find out if it's a piece of vinyl or plastic trim. If plastic it could be cracked, hard to tell from a pic. If it's a decal you can't polish it if it's the hard plastic if you wet sanded it I doubt you'd get it too come back to a gloss. If you could get some scrap ppf you could put it over it and see if it will hide it, sometimes you'll get lucky and you don't really see it. That's my 2 cents for the day!
    Brian

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I install the blackout tape for bodyshops, haven't done any Porsches but they are either matte black, gloss black vinyl or some sort of plastic hard trim. If you on the inside of the door frame you may see the edge of the vinyl. Also you could call the parts department and find out if it's a piece of vinyl or plastic trim. If plastic it could be cracked, hard to tell from a pic. If it's a decal you can't polish it if it's the hard plastic if you wet sanded it I doubt you'd get it too come back to a gloss. If you could get some scrap ppf you could put it over it and see if it will hide it, sometimes you'll get lucky and you don't really see it. That's my 2 cents for the day!
    Brian

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Scratches are typical and inevitable on the A, B and C pillars. A light polish with a white foam pad is enough to make them look new again. I use HD Polish+ with an LC white pad. Then I give them two coats of CQuartz DLUX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe in treating everybody with respect, and clean cars. That’s what I believe in.

10. Likes Mdjas liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12