autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick winter wash/ wax recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by bmiley View Post
    Yeah, I know there is nothing I can spray on and come out with a showroom shine, but Ive got to believe that there are products that will help keep stuff from sticking/ rinse off easier.

On my boat I use a product called Woody Wax. Its a spray wax that is designed to be used on the non skid deck to protect it and help things rinse off. Its insanely expensive (~40 for a 16 oz bottle) but only takes a couple sprays to do the whole boat. You wash the boat, spray a couple sprays on the boat brush and spread it around the deck/ topside and then rinse off with a strong blast of the hose. You can see right away the water beads up more, and it dries without any residue or marks. It typically lasts about 2 weeks, during which time fish blood, dirt from peoples feet, salt water, and most other stuff besides sunscreen will rinse right off.

Thats what I am looking for, something made for paint that will help stuff rinse off, only needs to last for a couple weeks, and doesnt have to look perfect.
    Just seeing this post about Woody Wax, the hydro2 and hydro blue (and others that work on the same principles) pretty much work exactly the same minus the spreading around with a brush. Just a couple sprays per panel and you'll instantly notice the water beading and running off the paint! I find much joy in spraying off theses sealants and seeing them in action!
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome fellow New Englander. Lately it is getting too cold for the pressure washer or doing any kind of washing outdoors. If you have access to a garage, a good process is to go to the local coin op and blast as much crud as you can with their pressure rinse. Then do a rinseless wash inside your garage. I like using Wolfgang Uber, others like using ONR. I use two wash mitts per panel along with a rinse bucket with a washboard grit guard. I finish the process with Mothers CMX, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine or Wolfgang Fuzion spray wax. Then put the car under "house arrest". That is what my wife calls it when I clean her car and she is not allowed to move it until Monday morning.

3. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    Welcome fellow New Englander. Lately it is getting too cold for the pressure washer or doing any kind of washing outdoors. If you have access to a garage, a good process is to go to the local coin op and blast as much crud as you can with their pressure rinse. Then do a rinseless wash inside your garage. I like using Wolfgang Uber, others like using ONR. I use two wash mitts per panel along with a rinse bucket with a washboard grit guard. I finish the process with Mothers CMX, Turtle Wax Seal and Shine or Wolfgang Fuzion spray wax. Then put the car under "house arrest". That is what my wife calls it when I clean her car and she is not allowed to move it until Monday morning.
    I’m 100% with you on the RWs. OP doesn’t have a garage though.

My wife gets sooo pissed when I hijack her car on weekends. We have 3 cars total, but she doesn’t know how to drive stick (my Acura) and my X5 M has “too much power”, so I typically have to drive her anywhere she goes in the name of keeping her car immaculate until Monday. She complains but at the same time she doesn’t take it too far because I know she enjoys the compliments from fellow employees or the ladies at the nail salon.

5. Likes UncleDavy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so any recommendations for products or procedure for my winter quick/ touchless wash/wax?
    meguiars hybrid ceramic wax, in the blue spray bottle.

watch the autogeek youtube: YouTube

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.
    Wash your car normally, do normal rinse, while still wet lightly spray the product.
    rinse easily at first which will ensure it spreads everywhere, then rinse forcefully.

I'm in CT. 5 minutes after driving this time of year, there's no point in towel drying your car.
    If you don't towel dry the car and park it in the garage to dry, then it will definitely spot up... but no big deal for winter.
    But if you do towel dry after the meguiars, it looks really good.
    This stuff is definitely worth it for winter time northern states, especially since it's pretty much zero effort.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron7000 View Post
    meguiars hybrid ceramic wax, in the blue spray bottle.

watch the autogeek youtube: YouTube

I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned.
    Wash your car normally, do normal rinse, while still wet lightly spray the product.
    rinse easily at first which will ensure it spreads everywhere, then rinse forcefully.

I'm in CT. 5 minutes after driving this time of year, there's no point in towel drying your car.
    If you don't towel dry the car and park it in the garage to dry, then it will definitely spot up... but no big deal for winter.
    But if you do towel dry after the meguiars, it looks really good.
    This stuff is definitely worth it for winter time northern states, especially since it's pretty much zero effort.
    That was one of the first products I came across. It seems to have mixed reviews, and I wasn't really clear on the application. Seems like a lot of people had issues with streaking/ marking the paint which I why I had dismissed it.

That video has some good info, obviously a bit biased, but helpful to get the application process straight from the people making it.

So you use it and just rinse off? No wiping or drying?
    Did you do the initial application recommended in the video?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Youwash car and rinse, what you normally do.

Then, spray on meg hybrid cer. wax very lightly over a wet (but clean) surface. You won't be able to mist it entirely over every painted spot of the car, you'll waste the product. For example you basically only need one trigger pull to get enough on the hood. I did half trigger pulls to get it here and there such as on the doors.

Then:

option best: for neglected cars that have no wax protection you just towel dry the car. The product mixes with the water and spreads very easily, and drying it out this way is supposed to get the most product on the surface. I did not do this. It was 38°F outside, it's january in ct.

option easy: on my 2018 maxima which i had polished & waxed back in May, after spraying on the meg's i rinse real easy so the misted product spreads. Figure about 20 seconds total to soft rinse of the entire car. Then a methodical forceful fan spray rinse over the entire car, taking about 1-2 minutes, and you'll see the water immediately bead like the car has fresh wax on it. Then towel dry the car, as usual, otherwise it will spot (which is no different than not using the product).

Either way if you don't towel dry then don't be surprised if there's water spots. But doing the easy way after towel drying it is impressive. And this time of year, many times i don't towel dry I just drive the car and the beaded water will fling off well enough making the product worth it in my opinion. So yes it is as easy as spray on and rinse off. I can't see how the product can mark the paint, that's more likely the result of someone driving a neglected shitbox and not being intelligent when towel drying the car. Or maybe someone affiliated with a competitor product leaving a purposely negative review.

9. Thanks bofh thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ron7000 View Post
    Youwash car and rinse, what you normally do.

Then, spray on meg hybrid cer. wax very lightly over a wet (but clean) surface. You won't be able to mist it entirely over every painted spot of the car, you'll waste the product. For example you basically only need one trigger pull to get enough on the hood. I did half trigger pulls to get it here and there such as on the doors.

Then:

option best: for neglected cars that have no wax protection you just towel dry the car. The product mixes with the water and spreads very easily, and drying it out this way is supposed to get the most product on the surface. I did not do this. It was 38°F outside, it's january in ct.

option easy: on my 2018 maxima which i had polished & waxed back in May, after spraying on the meg's i rinse real easy so the misted product spreads. Figure about 20 seconds total to soft rinse of the entire car. Then a methodical forceful fan spray rinse over the entire car, taking about 1-2 minutes, and you'll see the water immediately bead like the car has fresh wax on it. Then towel dry the car, as usual, otherwise it will spot (which is no different than not using the product).

Either way if you don't towel dry then don't be surprised if there's water spots. But doing the easy way after towel drying it is impressive. And this time of year, many times i don't towel dry I just drive the car and the beaded water will fling off well enough making the product worth it in my opinion. So yes it is as easy as spray on and rinse off. I can't see how the product can mark the paint, that's more likely the result of someone driving a neglected shitbox and not being intelligent when towel drying the car. Or maybe someone affiliated with a competitor product leaving a purposely negative review.
    Ok, cool. Ill definitely take another look at it. Thanks for all the good info. Ive used a lot of their automotive and marine products with good results, so I was surprised to see bad results/ reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

A completely touchless ideal is really not enough....

I've tried using (FYI - My cars are all coated (CQ 3.0 or McKees37)):
    Basic rinse with PW
    Foaming with CC SnoFoam
    Adding a pre rinse on top of that with 3D Pre Soak

All of the above = no joy in completely cleaning the car - you need some mechanical interaction.... I just do a warmer temps WW with WG Uber when possible.... (and use the touchless options in between as much as possible)

After that apply your choice of protection - I've tried:
    Hydro Blue - Really needs to be a completely clean car - otherwise highlights dirt and covers over it... Also requires rewetting the car after WW Wash - so only preferred option if no WW in play
    Kenotek ShowRoom Shine = Works pretty well - but only provides protection for a week (10 days) or so before looking ugly (and likely no protection of consequence)
    Can Coat = Works better - but is a "Coating Lite" - so be entirely sure car is completely clean + requiring more focus on application.... Also no joy in sub 40 temps....
    Sonax PNS = Sealant - worked but found hardest to apply (personal opinion) - and not truly testing in colder temps

Also of note - I would not suggest any wipe on product unless a WW is done - any excess dirt/salt/contaminants are a recipe for scratches...

I would like to try a few other options - but I would suggest a little trial and error on products that works for you to determine best product for the way you like to operate.

EDIT: Other Product Ideas
    - CarPro Hydr02
    - CarPro Elixor
    - Meguiar`s Hybrid Ceramic Detailer
    - Polish Angel High Gloss Spray

12. Likes bofh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If going polish angel and looking for all weather protection try Viking or Cosmic Spritz. Can be bought on AG and i think those fit in between a sio2 topper/sealant and coating lite.

Cosmic is truly impressive and worth worth penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So just wanted to post a quick update.

I bought a bottle of Griots foaming surface wash, Meguiars Hybrid ceramic wax and a cheap garden sprayer that i hacked into a "foamer"

My process is as follows:
    1. Quick hose off to rinse away loose dirt/ salt
    2. cover truck with foam, let sit until it begins to run off and dry.
    3. Then a hard rinse with the hose
    4. While everything is still wet a mist with the hybrid wax, followed immediately with a light spray with the hose to distribute the product. This is done in 3-4 sections to not let the product sit too long without rinsing. Each panel is 1-2 sprays
    5. A hard rinse with the hose to remove excess product
    6. sometimes a quick blow with an electric leaf blower to remove some of the water.

I can do this in less than 20 minutes including setup and breakdown, so when its a decent day I can wash the car during my lunch break.

The results are about what I expected. The surface wash removes some of the dirt/ salt but i still end up with a light haze left on the black paint. Still much better than it looked before. I am really impressed with the Meguiars hybrid wax. It really beads up nicely and seems to help things rinse off easily. Application is super simple and only adds a couple minutes to a wash so ill probably continue to use it in the summer. I am really curious to see how it works on a clean car.

16. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast