autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sticker glue help

Good luck. Give us an update.

2. Thanks SwirlesY thanked for this post
    Likes SwirlesY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Soak a part of a mf towel wraped around your finger with 3M Adisive Remover. Have some nitrile gloves on you. Hold the soaked part on the edge of the glue for 3 minutes or so. Since it's a little colder if you don't have a heated garage it's takes some extra dwell time. When the dwelling is done work into the center of the glue glob so you don't spread it around. If it's not softening it up this time. Extend the dwell time to 5 minutes and next 10 minutes even. Since you hold it against the glue and have a second mf towel to catch any run down it's not a problem. Also rinse it off thoroughly between the applications if you get a lot of run off and then dry for the next application. This usually works and it's in the longer dwell time that's the secret to desolve it more effective.

If this still don't work you can heat it up with a heat gun but feel the paint from time to time so it don't get hot. And don't do it between not rinsing the 3M Adisive Remover off or any other flameble products. When warm and not hot try gently with a plastic razor blade and see if you get it loosened up enough to scrape it off. Also when you are done with the dwelling don't use any pressure when trying to wipe up the glue. You can use a plastic razor blade on the softened glue after some gentle aggitations/wipe with the 3M Adisive Remover too.

I don't remember exactly and also the super glues can be based on different kind of glue. Then it's about to find what kind of chemical that will desolve just that glue. 3M Adisive Remover has quite many kind of different solvents in it to be removing different kind of glues. Just that some can take a longer time before it's gets desolved enough to scrape it off. Be patient when you do this and it's usually desolves at last. If it takes maybe 4-5 times with long dwell time. Change to the other glue glob after a rinse and drying. Don't use any pressure after you have used any strong solvents on the paint with what ever you touch your paint with. It's cause you might get some swelling of the clearcoat and then it gets more scratch sensetive.

A last resort could be to also try the 3M Rubber Wheel which you attach on a drill. It's for remove stubborn adisive. Can be worth to googling it and see if you want to try it.

/ Tony

4. Thanks SwirlesY thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3M adhesive remover for the win.

I have used this product for over 25 years in both industrial and private use.

Nothing I have ever found even comes close.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Thanks SwirlesY thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you try these guys ... they're the UK distributor for Rapid Remover :

RAPIDTAC Application Fluids - All Print Supplies

Comparing the MSDS for Goo Gone vs. Rapid Remover, they both contain the same basic ingredients, "petroleum distillate" and d-limonene. The "petroleum distillate" is probably mineral spirits and we know d-limonene (citrus peel extract) is commonly used in degreasers and all-purpose cleaners like Citra Blast. The main difference is that Rapid Remover is 60/30 petroleum distillate & d-limonene, while Goo Gone is 85/15.

So, Goo Gone should work similarly, albeit the "working time" may be different.

Note: This applies to the "Original", "Professional", and "Automotive" versions of Goo Gone.

8. Thanks SwirlesY thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I'll ge a chance at weekend to put these ideas into practice and I'll provide an update afterwards.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwirlesY View Post
    Wow, thanks everyone for the replies. Hopefully I'll ge a chance at weekend to put these ideas into practice and I'll provide an update afterwards.

Thanks again!
    I work at a sign shop where we wrap cars and such and ive personally removed hundred of emblems. The rapid remover is some serious stuff and awesome. But the 3m remover is awesome too. Alot of times i heat up emblems and the glue thats left i rub off with my finger and then use denatured alcohol to remove the remaining stuff. Works awesome and thats what we use to clean before applying graphics. But ive at home had good luck with goo gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dropbox - 20200127_141342.mp4 - Simplify your life

Hi all! Sorry for the slow reply, I've just got round today to trying again to remove the glue residue. I haven't had any joy so I thought I would attach a video so I can show you the how solid the residue is. I hope the link works.

I have tried using a hairdrier to soften the residue then soaking a towel in the goo gone and holding it in place for 5 minutes but the residue is not budging at all.

I intend to move onto the 3M adhesive remover now but just thought I would share the video first just to give a better idea of what the residue is like.

Again, I appreciate everyone's time and input. Thank you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's OK if I bump this?

Post Thanks / Like

WD-40 is a pretty good adhesive remover among its other qualities.

14. Likes SwirlesY liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried that mate, no joy :/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast