autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: I Just passed all 10 of my IDA exams!!!!!!

Congratulations Billy!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post

Where can you find information on the process for IDA Certification?
    There’s actually no formal study guide.

I am working on a new book that addresses this topic.

3. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not good at linking, but google IDA detailing. it will come right up. Also I had quite a few Aunts and Uncles that built AMC's in Kenosha Wisconsin back in the day. I have dreams of grandeur of one day owning an LS swapped Gremlin X

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great news, glad to hear you are doing this and helping out the name of IDA!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post

Where can you find information on the process for IDA Certification?
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Baldone View Post

I'm not good at linking, but google IDA detailing. it will come right up.

What Billy is talking about is a series of articles Prentice St. Clair wrote for CarWashMag.com way back in 2013. I believe Prentice was also key in writing the original written tests, that's the Certified Detailer online tests. While these articles "did" provide the majority of the information on the tests, the tests have been updated and I believe there are now questions that have been added that due to the changing technology in this industry, the old articles Prentice wrote no longer cover all topics.

I'm on a couple of IDA committees including the Certification Committee. At the last meeting, the topic of providing the information for the written tests came up and it's an interesting topic. The big picture idea is anyone taking the test should actually "know" of have the knowledge of what they are doing as a detailer and thus should know the answers for the questions that are asked.

The issue with this idea is the questions cover a very wide spectrum of topics and there's no universal source for legitimate detailing information so some people take the tests with ease while others struggle.

I've set a goal for myself to write a book not for the IDA test, but for the knowledge anyone that wants to become a "Professional Detailer" should know in order to do the job correctly and safely.

Also I had quite a few Aunts and Uncles that built AMC's in Kenosha Wisconsin back in the day. I have dreams of grandeur of one day owning an LS swapped Gremlin X[/QUOTE]

8. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    What Billy is talking about is a series of articles Prentice St. Clair wrote for CarWashMag.com way back in 2013. I believe Prentice was also key in writing the original written tests, that's the Certified Detailer online tests.
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Mike, is Prentice St. Clair the gentleman that was part of the episode of Competition Ready that we were in @the Los Angeles Convention Center?
    A name like that is hard to forget + as knowledgeable as he was it wouldn’t surprise me if it was him...

I also remember meeting Justin Labato that day. The very 1st thing I said to him was “nice shirt” [IDA buttoned shirt] which resulted in a huge grin from him. Great guys everyone that was there that day. 1 of the best days Ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80 View Post
    What does IDA certification do for you business wise?
    Here is my take on the subject. Back in 1996 when I got out of the Marines I decided to go to one of the best Mobile Electronics (and one of very few at the time) schools out there and while there I would get my MECP (Mobile Electronics Certification Program) cert. The school was RITOP Rich Infferrara (SP) team of professionals. Just look him up in the car audio space, he is known as the godfather of car audio. Anyway back to the subject.

After graduating second in my class and missing only 1 question on the test I go out into the world to be the best installer out there. LOL

2 problems I have with a certificate like that are these

1. If the customer base has no clue what that is it means VERY little to them. HOW MANY OF YOU KNEW WHAT MECP was? ASE is much bigger and has a bunch of marketing that I doubt IDA ever will and MECP ever did.
    2. (And this isnt to say anything nasty about the OP cause I have no clue how good of a detailer you are, I have never met you) Just passing the MECP tests (Cause you could take the test without actually going to a school such as I did) says absolutely nothing about how you actually practice your chosen craft.

The reason for #2 is because I worked in the field for over 15 years and saw many MANY certified installers that HACKED THE CRAP out of the cars they were doing. Customers didnt care as long as the price was CHEAP. lol.

IMO and ONLY IMO when I am shopping for someone to do some work for me certificates have VERY little clout in my decision making. The person / people doing the work and their reputation from real life experience means much more to me.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

12. Likes Farmallluvr, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I see if you buy the group of test it's only $400. Since you get 1 free retest for each I'm pondering paying for it and taking them with zero studying to see if I can pass. Worst case I waste my time, fail them and have to study to re-take. 10-20 questions each and you need 80%+ to pass.

Here's a question for anyone who's got the certification. I was looking to buy some random company shirts so I have can wear them when I'm detailing a customers car. I noticed IGL and 2 others (can't recall those 2 off the top of my head) have shirts I can buy that have IDA badges on them. I just added the button up IGL one to my cart and it let me get to check out. Both other companies I got to the checkout too (didn't ordered though) I'm guessing IDA would frown upon a non certified schmoe like me wearing one of these? I figured they wouldn't even be available to non IDA dudes. Should I be able to buy these?

last question, they're pretty vague on phase 2. So I pass the tests, then I can contact a local trainer to set up a skills assessment thingy. What does this cost? Or does it vary? It's $400 for the tests but have no idea what it'll cost me beyond that to get my certification. I'm very interested in doing this though.

14. Dislikes Flash Gordon disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Congratulations

The World is Your Oyster:

Bob
    Bob I LMAO all the time with your replies

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast