autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

So far, it hasn't rained APC where I live so I don't take the torture tests too seriously. The guy in Texas who coated a scrap panel and leaves it out in the sun for years really gets my attention.

Post Thanks / Like

•Unless ’The Testers’ announce that they are
    going to faithfully follow established ASTM
    Standards, and “torture-test“ accordingly...

-I trend toward the side of dogmatic skepticism.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Thanks Finick, Misterpaul thanked for this post
    Likes Finick, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 'up side' to the torture test using the heavy duty cleaners is that it could give an idea as to how well some of these sealants/coatings or however you want to classify them will hold up against some of the car washes that use harsh soaps or detergents in the wash, the "touchless" washes, etc. since they have to use harsher soaps to make up for the lack of any kind of material physically touching the car to clean the surface.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Not a Jimbo fan and not sure how he got the TW inviteall the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I only know Jimbo from his YouTube videos so I have no knowledge of his industry status or connections. He has mentioned that he does testing behind the scenes for some formulators so maybe that played a part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams@perpetualradiance View Post
    I get really sucked into Brian from Apex Detailing's torture videos, I've even made a few purchases due to his results. He & Jimbo seem to do the most test videos, but it got me thinking about the methods. Product A failed when Citrol 266 was applied, Product B still was showing signs of protection. That says a lot about durability, but not so much the potential longevity under normal circumstances. And Citrol 266 is about 10x worse than anything mother nature could throw at my car. Does that speak on real world usage? Or am I off in my thinking that just because a product isn't as durable doesn't mean it can't last maybe even longer still? I'm convinced that the longevity claim a manufacture puts on a bottle is just a completely random number lol.
    I love watching torture tests and I love setting them up myself. Any time you have product A vs. product B that were setup under the same method of prepwork, and then placed under the same conditions of "stress" and you come out with different outcomes, this result holds some relevancy. The issue is determining the extent of that relevancy and identifying what it means for the long term capabilities of the products, and that's where it gets harder to answer.

Take Seal N Shine as an example, it's one of the best performing short term products in terms of chemical resistance. When placed side by side with Meguiar's HCW in my 5 month durability test on the ungaraged daily driver, even though HCW doesn't have anywhere near the short term chemical resistance properties, both products were practically neck in neck in performance. The short term chemical resistance advantage of SNS held no relevance in its long term performance because I was not using harsh chemicals to prep the lower panels or going through tunnel washes to wash the car over that 5 month period.

Some viewers are ranking the chemical durability statistic of the product in the short term as the end all determinant of performance. Which is fine, the viewer can determine their own weight scales in which property is the one that's going to drive their decision to ultimately buy a product. But if good products start getting hammered in reviews just because they aren't able to hold up in a chemical resistance test as well compared to other options, then we're going to lose out on some solid consumer choices that get discontinued based on an over-weighted performance stat and poor sales.

Seal N Shine has incredible chemical resistance, but it's a HEAVY spray sealant, and not my option of choice if I just spent 6+ hours on paint correction on darker paint. This heaviness makes it harder to get that crisp clean wipedown, and makes it more susceptible to streaking. Contrast that with a product like Ultimate Fast Finish, which gives a super clean wipedown and would be my choice after extensive paint correction over Seal N Shine. The last thing that I want is to chase heavy residuals after perfecting the paint. I like Seal N Shine and there are both situations where I would and wouldn't recommend it. But to discount the performance of all new products because they can't compete on the same level in chemical tests, I think this is a big oversight that some viewers are taking, especially when we're sacrificing the wipeability of the product to deliver on chemical resistance.

All else equal about a product, I would want something that does deliver on strong chemical resistance, this is why I want to see these torture tests. My unicorn spray sealant would be one that does well in that type of test, so long as it's not sacrificing on other traits that I use to drive my buying decision.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •Unless ’The Testers’ announce that they are
    going to faithfully follow established ASTM
    Standards, and “torture-test“ accordingly...

-I trend toward the side of dogmatic skepticism.

Bob
    That reminds me, I have to go out and buy the ASTM D523 publication for gloss measurement testing. Would be interesting to see what they've got in there. You bring up a great point as well, how do we develop the parameters to determine exactly what type of chemicals and mixes we're going to throw at the products to best define and determine performance? This is why I like the variety used by both Jimbo and Brian, both switching things up to try and find the best methods, but it's going to take some time before a consistent method is determined as the most practical, or we may never get there.

7. Likes Klasse Act, SWETM, DMiglio, damonb10, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a Jimbo fan and not sure how he got the TW inviteall the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

Whatever we think of him... he’s popular on YouTube. I love how he applies products then will just start tests. Curing be damned! Plus turtle wax is trying to attain the Walmart and Oreillys crowd. The wanna sell to the masses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Whatever we think of him... he’s popular on YouTube. I love how he applies products then will just start tests. Curing be damned! Plus turtle wax is trying to attain the Walmart and Oreillys crowd. The wanna sell to the masses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, Antonio Brown is popular too...just sayin'all the detailing product torture test videos on YT - what say you?

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

10. Likes BudgetPlan1, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To be fair to Jimbo he was the Youtuber that did the finding about the Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine in one of his cheap vs expensive videos. Then he was impressed with the short term chemical resistance and kept comparing it to other more expensive LSP. So he is one of them that most deserved to be invited to the TW event. As he was the one that got TW ICE Seal N Shine to be famous.

And I'm not so big of a fan about Jimbo to make that clear. He should be a little carefull with his trying to developing his Youtube channel. As many don't like the new camera mans way of filming. You gets almost dizzy just to look at the videos since he started with the camera man LOL. And it's just not that but when he started doing the review videos not so long ago. He looked like a rookie in the detailing scene. And when I got the knowledge that this is his fulltime job. I was very surprised at that. But he has done some good videos and especially his cheap vs expensive videos was a hit. And has actually made a difference in the detailing world. With opening eyes on the brand snobbs to look at the OTC products more than before. It's just in the way he is I'm not so fond of. Still I like to be up to date so look at some of his videos sometimes. He's makes a big change with getting into camera team and sound team and that was obviuos he got some heat from the others detailing youtubers on TW event. But with the series he's got the most followers from I think is the cheap vs expensive videos. And he now makes some other kind of products reviews with a so called proffessional camera setup. He looks very uninterested when he does the torture testing videos as I think that he sees these is the videos that he gets the most views on. And there has been many clickbates videos that has not delivered IMO. So it's the old trapp when you try to change the content that works to something new. That may not suit the followers he has now. Some of his podcasts can be interesting to listen to though. Then I'm a sucker for the comparison and torture testing videos which ever who makes them LOL. To be honest I don't think that Turtle Wax has been where they are without Jimbo findings on the Seal N Shine chemical resistance he found. In that they got a product that showed some extreme abilities and got the free advertising from the spread of SNS in the detailing youtubers scene. And they noticed that with a very high demand on the SNS. So the Hybrid Solution line I don't think would be here if it was not so such of success from the Seal N Shine. And that it where showing on camera time after time putting other products in the shame when it comes to the short term chemical resistance it has.

Think it where very cool of TW to do this for the detailing youtubers channels that has helped out with showing SNS and it's performance. And invite and pay up for such an event. Cause there is no way in ..ll they would get away with buying them all there to just do great videos on the products in favor for them. I would say that the youtubers is more likely to be totaly honest with their thoughts and reviews of the products to not loose their faces to the other ones that says like it is.

The bigger detailing youtubers channels that has released their own line of products. That gets complicated when they have been doing reviews after they have released their own products in the same range of products. And when you here that one just started the Youtube channel with the end goal to be release their own products. Look at the videos since the beginning of the channel and the kind of products he has released has not been in much favor for them. And then hype up their own coming products. Sure it's smart advertising and no wrong in doing a success with own line of products. But it's a thin line to walk on to succed to do it in a nice and humble way. Or going on to other channels and starts drama about competing products he offers. Then you have one who basicly says that all of the other products than his is just crap and outdated technology. Some jump up on their high horses and just looks down on what was that got them where they are now. I'm really glad that there are still some humble and nice persons that does detailing Youtube videos that's interesting and fun to look at.

Comparison videos is interesting for me to watch. It shows well the difference between products in the same setup when reviewed. And if they gets a product to come back and compared to other products again as a kind of base mark like SNS is also getting me some information on how the new product on the review does. Then that there are a slightly difference between the detailing youtubers methods to testing them gets you also more information. Than if they would be doing the exact same ways to review and testing them. Then it where not be so interesting to see more than 1 product review video LOL. And not to forget the knowledge about detailing they shareing in general.

Crap to much of text again LOL. It's like an 2 hour Youtube video LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Jimbo has been doing podcasts and videos for about 5 years now. His podcasts were shared freely to anybody who stumbled upon them and he’s made 100’s of them. That’s free info, tips, secrets etc he gave to us(me), and didn’t ask anything in return. He’s been making fair honest YouTube videos and reviews for a few years and maybe doesn’t have the production value of others, but he’s not just reading a label and telling you it’s amazing and the brand is the best out there(you know there’s a few that do it, I won’t list their names).

He’s been doing so many different things to bring traffic to his business, his brand and streams of revenue for many years now. I’m glad he’s starting to become more well known, anybody who hustles for years on end and maintaining a career(self owned business in his case), has family, kids, bills etc. deserves to be returned handsomely. I have a lot more respect for him than most detailing youtubers and brand endorsers.
    Alumni Autogeek's first ever Roadshow Detailing Class Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

13. Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Who is 'Jimbo'?

15. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast