autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Coating - Are the reviews misleading?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Dog View Post
    Wow, you picked that up!! Not many do
    Yeah I'm from the D, Rock City USA! No "Panic in Detroit" hereTurtle Wax Hybrid Spray Coating - Are the reviews misleading?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I can't agree more and that is why people
    may want to remove this product. TW may
    also read this and make a "hand remover"
    for it, if anything so people can get a clean
    base surface for re-application.
    •There are hundreds, maybe thousands,
    of “hand removers” all ready out there.
    -Turtle Wax even has a bunch of ‘em.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I tried 3 in 1 hybrid detailer not impressed..leaves oily film and bit hard to remove..could be weather not sure but first use not impressed..
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I guess in the short term you would have to remove it more aggressively but going down the road it's not going to be so much of an issue
    This is my thinking as well, Rog.

At first, it may require "Spiders from Mars" to remove it, but down the road could be removed by a "China Girl".
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It says COATING on the bottle.
    Plus TW is saying you need to compound
    (not polish) it off so this is why I disagree
    and think it should be compared to other
    coatings and why I started the OP.

This is especially an issue on PPF

I agree with you that it will not perform as
    well as CQuartz and this is the reason for
    my whole OP as I feel it should be compared
    more with these type of products.

•Your prerogative to agree/disagree...
    -But you’re not even in the ballpark, IMHO.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

It says COATING on the bottle. Plus TW is saying you need to compound (not polish) it off so this is why I disagree and think it should be compared to other coatings and why I started the OP. This is especially an issue on PPF

I agree with you that it will not perform as well as CQuartz and this is the reason for my whole OP as I feel it should be compared more with these type of products.

[/URL]
    The term coating and ceramic are thrown around too loosely these days.

In fact what makes a product a coating? If a product had 0.01% SiO2 does that make it a coating/ceramic? What I’m getting at is that there are no clean definitions of a coating.

With that said there are categories of coating type products.

Your more robust semi permanent coatings like Cquartz, GTechniq l, etc. These will always perform better than a spray on product and have been referred to a true coating.

Then there are coating lite products like Cquartz Lite or Gyeon CanCoat. They may not last as long but they have that coating like behavior.

Then comes the SiO2/ceramic infused sealants which are often referred to as maintenance products. Far less “ceramic” ingredients and nowhere near as durable yet can have coating like behavior. These products contain more polymers than ceramic in their chemical make up. This is where TW falls into. So not it is not a true coating and it can’t hold a candle to one.

If most coatings can be removed with a medium cut polish or in some cases a light cut polish after a few months then what’s to say TW can not be removed the same way.

I will go out on a limb and say a product like Meguiar’s M205 will remove it with ease.

8. Thanks PEAD19 thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Klasse Act, PEAD19, Loach, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax Hybrid Spray Coating - Are the reviews misleading?

So many Assumptions about TW products that most in this thread haven’t even tried yet.. What’s up with that?

Just my opinion, but I doubt TW would put this much effort into releasing a complete line with as much as they’ve put into all sides of it in the year 2019 and somehow be way off as far as their terminology.. Not only does TW on its own deserve a bit more respect, but if you need any real proof all you have to do is watch their latest demo video [posted in this thread]? To see that they know what the heck is going on in the real world of detailing.

They’d be a laughing stock if these products couldn’t be at least in the same ballpark as “coatings” of today.. And to say a spray on coating could never compare to a dedicated boutique PITA to apply so called real coating is quite simply being closed minded. Detailing products are evolving at never a before seen rate these days.. I have no doubt that they’ve either already invented it or are planning it’s release for the right time.

And as far as it not being realistic for a TW consumer product to last anywhere near a year? How bout that Endura Tire Coating? People suddenly forgot about that? Hands down the Best dang tire product the world has ever seen. Nuff said.

10. Thanks PEAD19 thanked for this post
    Likes PEAD19, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating, and Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine as my examples because it's too early to be definitive about the new TW Ceramic Spray Coating. None of these three consumer sprays in my testing at one coat had anywhere near the same performance and longevity of a full coating like CQuartz UK 3.0. When I placed one coat of each on the paint and let them run without toppers on the ungaraged daily driver, CQUK absolutely blows them out of the water. HCW and SNS were on par with each other and slowed down greatly from their initial performance, but still survived at 5 months. CQUK looks like I just applied it yesterday at 5 months old. The gap in performance between the spray market and the true ceramic market is massive when you put them under the same conditions, even products like the Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating and IGL Premier were severely outmatched by CQUK.

However, you can still get awesome performance with regular maintenance out of all of those sprays. That's the main benefit, the ease of use in reapplication that will extend protection to your desire. But if you ask me what's the best way to remove any wax/sealant/coating, my answer is abrasives. Reload in the short term will laugh an IPA wipedown right off the paint. SNS can outperform some coatings in chemical resistance in the short term, and even HCW and CMX will be very resistant against IPA or strip wash soaps. Abrasives have always been the best method to better ensure product removal, I haven't found a magic safe solvent that has convinced me to not prep all of my product testing with abrasives, I use the panel wipe as both a pre-polish and post-polish process. So the idea of needing that stronger method in order to ensure a clean slate is not a new concept and isn't reserved just for true ceramic coatings.

I'd be very surprised if you actually needed a heavy cut compound to remove the new TW Spray Coating. In my opinion using a polisher with something like Meguiar's M205/210 or Sonax Perfect Finish would easily abrade it from the paint like they do with CQuartz. The debate is a flat water sheet doesn't guarantee the product has been removed, it's possible you can abrade partially into the coating and remove most of the hydrophobics without fully removing it entirely. The more likely scenario is to run chemical dump tests until the product is fully flat and yet still not fully remove the entire layer. The other debate is just because you don't see a hydrophilic water sheet, it doesn't mean the product hasn't been fully removed, bare paint has differing degrees of surface tension when completely unprotected. The degree of certainty that we've removed the product is more clear with abrasives and the heavier you go the more certainty you have, but I've been satisfied in many cases against coatings with only needing a light/medium abrasive with a polishing pad for removal.

My expectations for TW's new spray coating is not for it to compete against CQuartz and comparable full ceramics, but for it to be more competitive in the spray sealant category. Jimbo and Pan also had early access to the lineup prior to release, they will have more insight into their long term performances and this is probably the reason why they're more likely to compare against products in the spray sealant lineup as well. That's my guess, but for the rest of us we're going to need more time to get longer term results in, and I'm looking forward to seeing just how well it can hold up!

12. Likes PEAD19, The Guz, PaulMys, SWETM, ifadey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I'm going to use Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax, Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating, and Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine as my examples because it's too early to be definitive about the new TW Ceramic Spray Coating. None of these three consumer sprays in my testing at one coat had anywhere near the same performance and longevity of a full coating like CQuartz UK 3.0. When I placed one coat of each on the paint and let them run without toppers on the ungaraged daily driver, CQUK absolutely blows them out of the water. HCW and SNS were on par with each other and slowed down greatly from their initial performance, but still survived at 5 months. CQUK looks like I just applied it yesterday at 5 months old. The gap in performance between the spray market and the true ceramic market is massive when you put them under the same conditions
    So if I’m reading this correctly, you’re leaving the new TW Spray Coating out of this testing and out of your opinion as of today? Because sure it’s alot easier to say none of those 3 products deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as CQuartz dedicated coating, but why not compare apples to apples? Or at least what we’re all currently interested ln comparing... The brand new TW products.

Post Thanks / Like

Every few years comes along something that’s known as a game changer... And until the masses discover it on their own through 1st hand experience, it’s initial reputation gets built on assumptions and heresy, doubts, etc..

Just imagine how hard it must’ve been to bring the 1st real widely used rinseless wash concentrate to market? For example Megs D114 was a sales failure and was eventually discontinued.. Proof that it’s not always easy to change the game and convince the masses to even pay attention, but it can happen.

I’m not saying this exact TW line is a bonafied game changer, I’m just saying that anything is possible. We should at least give things an honest shake before assuming it’s not in the same league.

15. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes dman68, PaulMys, Loach, rangerbay liked this post
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast