autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant

Review: Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant

Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant

Spray bottle looks good on the hood... you know, nice product shot...

Wow!

And the product looks GREAT on the paint!

What it is?

This is a non-cleaning, liquid, spray-on hybrid wax paint sealant. It's pure protection, no cleaning ability. It's a blended sealant, (blended = hybrid), using a high concentration of solids from both high quality natural carnauba wax and substantial synthetic polymers.

What does it do?
    Seals the paint to protect it while maximizing gloss and shine.

When to use it?
    This product is for use on paint in new to excellent condition. This would include a clean, brand new car or on older cars after first washing, claying and perfecting the paint.

Why to use it?
    To protect your car's paint and give the paint a deep, wet shine.

Unique Characteristics
    This product has a much thicker consistency than most spray-on waxes. Most spray-on waxes are very thin and watery, not this product. It's made using a high concentration of solid materials to carrying agents ratio. It's physically thicker in the bottle and you will see this when you spray it onto the paint surface. You will also notice it's thicker when you go to spread it over the paint surface. This is not your run-of-the-mill spray wax.

Special Instructions
    Due to the hyper concentration of solids in this product it wipes off easiest if you don't allow it to dry and only tackle sections a time. For example, when I applied to the hood of this Mustang, I only applied to half the hood at one time and then removed the product. That's really the only technique you need to use for easy wipe-off and amazing results. If you tackle too large of an area at one time, as the carrying agents evaporate off and leave the solid materials, it can be a tick sticky to wipe off and that's a sign of real protection being applied to the surface, not a product that's more water than solids.

Application Recommendations
    Due to the high concentration of solids in this spray-on sealant, you can use it as a stand-alone sealant or as a maintenance product for other sealants. And of course, it's a natural companion to the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy, Pinnacle Black Label Reserve Wax and/or the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant

Normal Prep Work

First - I don't do mock-up.

When I found a bottle of this new spray-on sealant on my desk and was asked to review it - I knew I would need a car to detail so I could really use the product. It just so happened a friend of mine had just purchased a 2007 Saleen Mustang Convertible and over the phone he told me,

She has swirls and the paint feels rough!

My favorite color is orange, (after owning an orange Sanger Drag for 20 years of my life, the color orange just seem to grow on me. The color of this Mustang is called Grabber Orange but I was told it's a unique hue of Grabber Orange just for Saleen Mustangs. The good news is.... now I have a cool car to test out and review this product.

First things first...

Wash and dry the car
    I always start with the wheels and tires first and then move to the top and work down. Sorry, no pictures of me actually washing the car as I was in a hurry to beat the rain that was headed my way. The paint was contaminated with some form of overspray, so during the wash process I used the Speed Master Clay Towel to remove the contamination.

Inspect the paint for swirls, scratches and bonded contaminants

Here I'm using the SCANGRIP MiniMatch to look for swirls

Do a Test Spot
    Because the paint on this 2007 Saleen Mustang had a LOT of swirls and scratches, before using the new PBL Synergy Spray Sealant, I first corrected the paint. Before ever buffing out a car you should always do what is called a Test Spot. A Test Spot is where you test out the products you hope and think will remove the swirls and scratches to your satisfaction to a small area of the car and MAKE SURE you're getting the results you hope and dream about BEFORE buffing out the entire car.

First Test Spot (no pictures)
    For this car, I tested just the PBL Polish and the swirls were too deep and the paint too hard that I was only getting about 85% correction. If this ware a mundane daily driver I may have just polished the paint, but this is a Saleen Mustang Convertible and it was totally deserving of finish that matches the Saleen name.

Second Test Spot
    For the second test spot, I moved to a new area on the hood and the tested the PBL Compound using Lake Country Force Hybrid Orange Foam cutting pads followed by polishing using the PBL Polish with the Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid White Foam Polishing pads. THIS combination restored a show car finish worthy of the Saleen marque and at the same time perfectly prepared the paint for the application of the new Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant.

Here you can see the faint residue line where I placed my painter's tape for doing a before-and-after, side-by-side Test Spot. On the right side of the tape line you can see how the paint looked before compounding and polishing.

Frame-up shot

Close-up shot
    In this close-up shot it's easy to see all the swirls and scratches and outside in the sun, the car looks horrible because the paint looks horrible.

Frame-up shot
    On the left hand side of the tape line are the results after compounding and polishing.

Close-up shot
    Now this is what car paint is supposed to look like. Flawlessly clear and without any defects.

Paint Correction Process
    After dialing-in my process and proving the results by doing 2 Test Spots, I then buffed out the rest of the car. Here's what I used. If you're new to machine polishing, note how many pads I used for the compounding and polishing steps. I point this out because most people don't understand it takes more than ONE pad to buff out a car correctly.

I also used about 20 of the Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Towels you seen in the above picture. This was just for wiping off the compound and polish. I used a few more to apply and remove the new PBL Synergy Spray Sealant.

These gray towels are just like the Forrest Green towels I normally use only gray in color. Anyone that reads any volume of my how-to articles and reviews knows I stress you need a LOT of clean, un-contaminated microfiber towels to correctly detail cars. The link I included to the Storm Grey towels is for a dozen, but I would recommend getting 2 dozen minimum and then put a process into place to wash, dry, inspect and store your towels to keep them clean and uncontaminated.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then >click this link< .

Step-by-step directions

Okay, now that I have the neglected paint on this 12 year old Mustang back into the proper condition to use a spray-on sealant, here's how you use it.

First - You're going to need 3-4 clean, inspected, un-contaminated microfiber towels.

For this application, I'm using the Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Towels.

Mike's Technique Tip

I have a saying that goes like this,

The little things are the big things

Now let me apply this to the process at hand. Years ago, actually about 15 years ago I discovered the SIMPLE technique for applying any spray-on wax or sealant. It's real simple but if you don't know about this technique nor use it, you will end up fighting yourself. Let me explain.

The reason we all use microfiber towels when working on car paint is because they are soft and gentle to the scratch-sensitive paint thus when pushed over the paint surface, in and of themselves they won't scratch the paint. Another reason we use microfiber is because they are superior for removing substances OFF the paint as compared to their historic counterparts, things like terrycloth towels, t-shirts, diapers and cheesecloth.

Now let me put this together for you. Most companies, that tell you how to apply a spray-on product tell you to spray some of the product onto the paint and then spread the product out using a clean, dry soft microfiber towel.

Wrong.

If the towel is dry, at the same time you're trying to spread the product out, the microfiber is doing what it does best - it's trying to remove or absorb the product off the surface. Thus you will be fighting yourself.

You're trying to spread the liquid out and the microfiber is trying to remove it at the same time. This is why I mean when I say you'll end up fighting yourself. You will likely get frustrated and you'll likely think the problem is with the product. But that's not correct, the problem is technique.

Correct Technique for applying a liquid wax or sealant

Here's what you want to do, FIRST dampen ONE SIDE of a folded microfiber towel with the product you want to apply and spread out. In this example, it's the Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant.

Next, spray the sealant over a section of the paint.

Now use the dampened side of the microfiber towel to spread the product over the surface.

Because one side of the towel is dampened with the product you want to spread over the surface - you're not fighting yourself. Your towel is not trying to remove the product you just sprayed onto the paint and remove it.

The end-result is you're able to EASILY spread out a THIN UNIFORM LAYER of the sealant. And that's what you want. You don't want to lay down a THICK layer of product and you don't want to lay down a splotchy, hit-n-miss layer. A thick layer just wastes product and makes wipe-off difficult and if you don't lay down a uniform layer then some areas of the paint will be protected while others areas will be left naked.

NOW - Use a clean DRY microfiber towel to gently wipe off the excess.

Simple Simon.

Then repeat this technique over the rest of the car and here's the thing - CONTINUE to use the same, product-dampened side of the folded microfiber towel. There's no need to switch to different sides for the application aspect, this will just waste product. The car is SUPPOSED to be clean, like the Mustang I'm working on so there's no risk of contaminating the towel.

BUT - do swap out to clean microfiber towels as needed for the wipe-off aspect. I think I used one to apply and three microfiber towels to wipe the sealant off the car.

Note: Instead of spraying the product onto the A-pillar and getting overspray on the glass or the inside of the car, I simply sprayed a little product right in the center of the towel....

Then run the towel up and down the A-pillar....

Same for the thin panel at the top of the windshield.

Now I'm back to spraying the product onto the panel....

Spreading out and over the paint....

Then wiping off with a clean, DRY towel.

And here are the results!

Review

This is a really nice product. It's substantial, not watery. You can feel the ingredients as you spread them over the paint as well as see the layer you're leaving behind. When you go to wipe off the residue - now you can really feel the wax and the synthetic protection ingredients. I'll be honest because this hybrid blend of ingredients feels like it's sticking to the paint. Not in a negative way where you can't get it off but in a positive way because you know you're leaving behind a substantial layer of protection.

And the gloss? Well scroll back up and take a second look.... the gloss is INSANE!

And lest I forget about the hydrophobic properties, check out the water beading characteristics....

There are so many choices for great products on the market today for protecting your car's paint. Add this to that list. Some people like a traditional paste wax. Some people like a liquid wax or sealant they can easily apply by machine. And some people love spray-on products because they are fast and easy to apply and wipe-off. The key is finding a spray-on product that's not simply a glorified spray detailer. This is the real-deal. It's a real hybrid mixture of BLEND of Mother Nature's best gloss and protecting wax formulated with something some chemist created in his laboratory that resulted in an easy-to-use, spray on sealant that creates incredible gloss with quality protection and incredible water beading. The water beading effect means a self-cleaning effect every time it rains as well as making washing and drying both safer and faster.

If you like spray-on products or you've looking for the next best thing when it comes to paint protection, gloss and shine, then you found it.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant

Storm Gray Edgeless Microfiber Towels - 12 pack

Now this is what a Saleen Mustang SHOULD look like....

2. Thanks Diner, Reuben Brumby, JKDesign thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Spray Sealant

More....

I'd also like to include that you can use this as a wax-as-you-dry type product, that is after washing and rinsing the car, mist this onto each panel right before wiping the water off the panel. I did not try this product like this on this Mustang as I'm not a fan of this technique personally. Haven't been all my life. But if that's a style you like then give it a whirl.

And here's a few more pictures of this car outside before it left to go home with the new owner....

Steve Saleen personally signed the glove box door...

About Steve Saleen and Saleen Mustangs

4. Thanks Diner, Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Now available on the AG store!

This is a really nice spray-on sealant and the water beading and gloss you see on the Saleen Mustang are the real-deal.

:dbthumb2:

Post Thanks / Like

PBMG polymers are some of the best out there also like duragloss products

Mike when are the PBMG chemists going to take a look at Graphene and the protection it offers seems like a cash cow.

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i always enjoy your reviews, thanks for doing them

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of the PBL Paint Sealant, which is a very good product, but this looks much easier to apply and remove. I’ll grab this on my next order!

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a sucker for a product like this... love PBL Synergy Wax and love SiO2 sprays.

Mike, before I go ordering, will this be offered in 32oz anytime soon?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job! I'm very curious how long that whole process took you? From when you started washing the car to finishing the sealant. That to me seems like a tremendous amount of work to do in 1 day. I realize you're very quick at this stage because of your experience but still. Do the people who own the test cars have to pay you for a detail?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Nice job! I'm very curious how long that whole process took you?

From when you started washing the car to finishing the sealant. That to me seems like a tremendous amount of work to do in 1 day. I realize you're very quick at this stage because of your experience but still.

Do the people who own the test cars have to pay you for a detail?

I think I was into this car for about 10 hours. Part of what took time was cleaning and treating the canvas top. I used the SUPA BEAST to compound and polish AND my secret technique to cut down time for paint correction.

This was a customer's car and it worked out for both this Pinnacle review and also a picture in the brand new FLEX catalog with a picture of me working on the Saleen Mustang using the new SUPA BEAST.

I think I'm in the new catalog, or at least pictures of me using their tools about 5 times. Kind of cool. I appreciate how FLEX gives due credit where credit is due.

Also - the OFFICIAL FLEX name for the CORDLESS BEAST is now

CBEAST

You can see it on page 5 of the new catalog. They put a hyphen between the letter C and the word BEAST, I originally coined the name as one word and of course, like the FLEX name, all capital letters.

I also coined the name Pixie for the PXE 80. FLEX went with "THE GAME CHANGER" for the catalog but I doubt that will stick. People are already calling it the Pixie. Basically I simply ran the letters P and X and E together as it naturally flows off the tongue this way. I also looked up the definition for what a Pixie is and then sent this idea to Chris Metcalf at FLEX before he went to Germany.

Chris changed the spelling to use all capital letters for the PXE and lower case letters for the two letter i's - so --> PiXiE - and that's the story behind the story.

And on page 14 of the new FLEX catalog, (and it's also in the 2019 FLEX catalog), the official name for the traditional FLEX XC 3401 VRG is,

"THE BEAST"

And on page 24, the official name for the FLEX XFE 7-15 150 is,

"THE FINISHER"

Our forum member Dan Tran is the person that came up with that official name.

Time to go wash a car...

13. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m starting to realize that this may not have any SiO2 / ceramic / nano-glass properties in it. If that’s the case and it’s only carnauba and non-Ceramic polymers, it’s sort of surprising given that Synergy Wax and PBL Sealant both have the nano-glass or resin based formulas. Or maybe the synthetic part of it includes the ceramic formula?

Any chance of getting clarification about the above formula questions, even in a very generic sense?

Synergy Paste Wax beads / self cleans extremely well, PBL Sealant ain’t bad either. If this spray doesn’t bead in the same category (doesn’t have to be as good but shouldn’t be a clear detriment), then it’s something I would save for topping my sealants and waxes only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast