autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sonax BSD and Turle Wax Ice Seal and Shine Removal?

Quote Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
    Everyday beading. 845 side stopped beading about 6 weeks, TW was still beading into the 10th week. No chemical test as for me that is not a realistic everyday test of typical rain, road film and so on. If I am putting super cleaner or purple on it I am obviously trying to strip it off. Once I have put any of these on for durability short of a ceramic it is tested against everyday elements and normal weekly hand washes using a normal car shampoo.
    Only 6 weeks beading from 845? Has this been your previous experience with 845 as well?

Post Thanks / Like

8 weeks at best. I love the stuff and it is easy to work with. But the weeks in which I tested it we had tons of rain. I drive an average of 80 miles a day. Vehicle is garage kept as well. But It is one of my favorites just didn’t seem to last as long as what I was led to believe. Two separate test where I did half the car with Wolfgang’s DGPS which looked ever so slightly better but didn’t last as last as 845. Factor in the daily miles, weather and so on very few products outside of ceramic will last long. TW is so far the champ fo longevity. But I don’t like working with it. I heat up 845 after shaking it like crazy and it is sooo easy to work with that I don’t mind having to do it ever couple of month same with Wolfgang’s which looks absolutely amazing!
    ----------------------
    2018 Jeep GC High Altitude
    2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance with Sport Package

3. Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had 845 on my F150 last winter but topped it every 12 weeks with McKee’s fast wax so hard to tell the longevity. I would have been better off just applying 845 every 12 weeks but the McKee’s 37 fast wax was so easy to work with during the winter. This winter I am going with Collinite 476 reapplied every 16weeks if the weather permits (this is my daily drive during bad weather n crusty roads so it takes a beating) I must say the 476 seems to be holding (it’s been 8 weeks) up nicely compared to the 845.
    My M4 gets WGDGS every 4 months but it’s not a daily drive (stays in garage unless the roads are clear). The car is metallic grey n the WGDGS really knocks it out ofthe park for gloss (I am tempted to ceramic coat it but but I still have a full bottle left). My wife’s Lexus IS350 is her daily drive and that has GtechEXO 3.0 with a spray on SiO2 maintenance every 3 months ; EXO has been on for a year. M daughters car had Sonax PNS on it but I didn’t care for the resistance to bird bomb (PNSonly 2 months old). It got colinite 845 this fall, let’s see how it holds up. The EXO and maintenance spray are the clear winners (and have the added advantage of wiping off bird bombs n tree sap easier compared to previous items listed above).these are just my rookie observations .
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

If you like to spray it on the paint directly I would get a EZ Mist Sprayer Bottle which is like the Flairosol spray bottle mentioned by ochnob. The thicker solution of the BSD really gets easier to use in such of a bottle. If it where me I would dilute it 1:1 BSD to destilled water in the EZ Mist Sprayer Bottle for maintance of the base layer of the BSD. To get the most out of the BSD is the prep work as usually but also apply it like a sealant with a mf applicator sponge. Work in 20"×20" sections and wipe it off directly. And you can apply a second layer directly afterwards if you like or you will get it topped up nicely with the maintance 1:1 solution every other week or so on dry paint or if you like to use a drying aid. The thing with the BSD is that's very concentrated and a lot of protection in it. Combo that with the thicker solution of the BSD and it's hard to spread it out evenly and gets a hard removal. When I use it straight from the BSD bottle I prime with 1 spray and another 1 for the section I apply it on with a mf towel or mf applicator sponge. With the mf towel I looking as far as it spread out. Often a whole panel or a half of the hood or the roof with 1 spray. You can control if it's leaving something behind on a side window with a short wipe and buff it off. So key is to get it in a thin layer of the BSD for an easier removal. Or if you put on the base coat layer is to apply it on very small sections.

EZ Mist Sprayer - Black

The experience with BSD and the mf towel I use to remove it. This is the same with both apply it as a sealant or with spraying on the mf towel and spread it out and with a EZ Mist Sprayer Bottle kind of sprayers directly on the paint. Is to use a low looped nap mf towel as the Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth has. This cuts through the thicker solution of the BSD and picks it up great for the initial wipe off. Also the BSD has a lot of residue to buff off. So have a lot of these mf towels at hand. Cause as soon as one side gets saturated with product it's needed to be flipped to a fresh side or a fresh mf towel. You see this in that it leaves more streaks behind and that happens fast with the BSD. And it's not worth to fight it and just use more mf towels instead LOL. About 4-5 of these low looped nap mf towels is what I usually goes through. And you don't need to getting it totaly smear/streak free with this initial wipe off. Cause directly after the first wipe off when you have buffed off the most of the BSD. I use a thicker gsm split weave mf towel like The Rag Company Eagle Edgeless in 500gsm. You even use a higher gsm mf towel than that. As with the mf towel buffing you want the mf towel to pick up and hold as much of the BSD residue as possible. The second wipe usually feels less grabby and should get a feeling to get less grabby. Now you don't get very high slickness from the BSD but a kind of smooth feeling when the residue is picked up by the mf towel. Also here you want the mf towel to not leave any smear/streaking behind. As soon as you notice it flip the mf towel or reach for a fresh one. Here I use around 2 of the split weave mf towel that's around 500gsm.

So for getting an easier removal it's much about how you apply. Thin application you can work in a bigger section but before reload the paint wipe it off. And if you apply it thicker like a sealant application work in smaller sections for easier removal. It bonds very fast so no need to be dwelling on the paint. And try with the kind of mf towels I suggested and see how you like it. Have enough of towels as you need it to pick up the BSD residue. And I think that you will get a better experience with the wipe off of BSD.

Forrest Green Edgeless Polishing Cloth

When you have a higher humidity outside Turtle Wax ICE Seal N Shine is awefull to work with. So it's needed to be applyied in a nice dry weather conditions. If you still have a problem with the SNS it's probebly that you use to much of product. Use a very slightly damped mf towel or mf applicator sponge and apply the SNS on it and spread it out as far as it reach you. And I would try the same wipe off method with the kind of mf towels used with the BSD. With SNS when I first applyied it it started to rain directly after the SNS was applyied. And that where no fun experience with it. Also the longevity from it was only 6 weeks before total fail. Applyied it again in much better weather conditions and it where like a dream to be working with and only the low loop nap mf towel was needed to be wipe it off with. And got that nice very slick feeling when it where coming off.

Also if you like the BSD I would recommend you to try out the PNS. You will get a longer durability from it than both the BSD and TW SNS. And you can stretch the longevity from it with apply BSD on it every month or so. As mentioned by DMiglio it uses the same polymers in them and even the Sonax CC36 coating has a kind of same polymers in it.

/ Tony

6. Thanks Jim w thanked for this post
    Likes chinee liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12