autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Old Dog Looking For Something New

Hey Everyone,

I am 50 years old and thinking about trying my hand in auto detailing. I am so new to this and learning so much from AutoGeek but I am thinking about setting up a detailing shop out of my house next years and I would like to hear form others each step I need to take to setup a shop and cover me from errors. please give me any help you can..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old Dog Looking For Something New

Buy Renny Doyle's book on exactly that subject, sold in the Autogeek store.

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books

Bill

3. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO John!

You are asking for years of info here.

I would second Billy's recommendation and do quite a bit of reading first.

Then, if you have any more specific questions, ask away.

JMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a detailing business. It's a business. A sales business. Have you owned your own business before? Ever been in sales? Give us your background.

6. Likes Hermes1, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG! Your location and level of experience will help us give you the best information. You might consider investing in one of Mike Phillips detailing classes before you set your sights on opening a business. Detailing is hard on your body. Starting at 50 is not impossible, but it will take some muscle building before you start 8 hour days.

8. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Welcome to AG! Your location and level of experience will help us give you the best information. You might consider investing in one of Mike Phillips detailing classes before you set your sights on opening a business. Detailing is hard on your body. Starting at 50 is not impossible, but it will take some muscle building before you start 8 hour days.
    So, so true. The first couple months, well maybe more than a couple, I thought I was going to die. Add to that the summer heat and the winter cold and it definitely takes a toll.

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I second the attending classes that a few others have said. Depending on where you are you could be close to one. Florida? Mike Phillips. Ohio? Esoteric, So Cal? Jeremy @ Shine Supply. I know the Shine Supply class like half of if focuses on how to start and run your own detailing business. None are cheap, but if you want to do this for a living it would be something to look into. I also know people fly from all over the country for all the ones I mentioned, and there are others I'm forgetting. So you might have something in driving distance from you. I'm considering the Shine Supply one, it's $1,900 for 3 days but there's so much on the business side I need to learn it would be money well spent imho. The Renny Doyle book that was suggested is a definite must. I think Renny still offers one on one classes up in Big Bear (So Cal) Not many people are on his level anywhere.

One thing about starting a detailing business, your potential customers won't be detailers, so their standards will be much lower than a typical person on AGO. When I first started detailing on the side, a simple wash with Chemical Guys Wash & Gloss had many people in my area beyond happy. They don't care about swirls and marring and they don't notice any of the BLEH things I'd see right off the bat. To them if it looks clean and is shiny they will be back. I dunno where you live, but I suspect people are the same pretty much everywhere. If you learn some basic techniques from people on here and a watching few YT videos. You'll already be better than all but a few people out there.

11. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Plenty of information and guidance on this site. One suggestion,as mentioned above, is to take a detailing class from Mike P. Nothing beats hands on learning with the tools and “goods” needed to deliver a knock it out of the park quality product to your customer.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by johnathansmith1969 View Post

Hey Everyone,

I am 50 years old and thinking about trying my hand in auto detailing.
    I'm 58 and I'd highly recommend it.

Not only do you get the satisfaction of doing the job yourself and doing right, something you cannot count on from others calling themselves "detailers", or from taking it to a dealership, but it's also rewarding in the results are usually impressive if you use good products.

Quote Originally Posted by johnathansmith1969 View Post

I am so new to this and learning so much from AutoGeek but I am thinking about setting up a detailing shop out of my house next years and I would like to hear form others each step I need to take to setup a shop and cover me from errors. please give me any help you can..

For the last 4-5 years, I've had a LOT of people take my 3-day Bootcamp class and my 2-day Roadshow class that are retiring from their career job and starting a part-time or full time detailing business. This trend continues with my latest class just a few weeks ago with 4-5 people that fit this description.

They take my class for these reasons,

1: To make sure they know what they are doing so they don't screw-up someone's car.

2: To figure out how to make money. They are smart enough they are not going to let their buddies say, "Hey I'll give you a six-pack of beer to detail my Corvette"

3: To use all the popular tools BEFORE They start investing in tools, pads and products only to find out they chose wrong because they didn't have any hands-on experience before making substantial investments.

Read a lot here, there's more great info on this forum than all the facebook groups combined. And the format makes taking the information and getting it into your brain easier.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new! I have 15 years experience running a detail business and the first 5 years was the hardest (This was pre-social media era and the likes). Developing your service offering and client base is the obvious initial uphill battle. My suggestion would be to start detailing friends & family vehicles for dirt cheap or free. This will help develop your detailing skills, the services you'll eventually offer and the opportunity to take pics/video to create a portfolio of your work to post on social media for future clients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.