autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy5431 View Post
    Yes there are two P51s and a p-38 lightning, a few P-40s, a wildcat and a Corsair. That’s not the whole list either.

Also they purchased a German rail box car that was used move prisoners and brought it to the museum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Incredible.

Thank you for sharing that, man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Because I am a dummy and rolled the dice, my truck got wet last night while letting the #7 soak. Any tips on how to proceed from here? I am tempted to let it dry in the sun then wipe and reapply but thought I would ask in case someone has experience and recommends another course.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done dozens of M07 treatments, but never had one rained on. How long was it outside? Did it get dirty or just get wet? If it just got rained on, I'd be tempted to just proceed with wipe-off. You could always dampen a towel with more M07 and wipe it down again, as newly applied M07 will cut the film of previously-applied product. If you're planning on machine polishing anyway, just wipe it off and get along with your process.
    Again, it's all guesswork on my part. I've been using M07 since the 70's, but never faced that scenario.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill, thanks for the response. It did not rain but got damp due to the marine layer from the ocean. The areas that were wet dried out so I am think I will be good. Like you said, I will add more product if any of the areas give me trouble while I remove it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
    I've done dozens of M07 treatments, but never had one rained on. How long was it outside? Did it get dirty or just get wet? If it just got rained on, I'd be tempted to just proceed with wipe-off. You could always dampen a towel with more M07 and wipe it down again, as newly applied M07 will cut the film of previously-applied product. If you're planning on machine polishing anyway, just wipe it off and get along with your process.
    Again, it's all guesswork on my part. I've been using M07 since the 70's, but never faced that scenario.

Bill

I hit it with another application of M07 and it came right off. Thanks again for the tip!

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Garagehack View Post

I hit it with another application of M07 and it came right off. Thanks again for the tip!

And that's called,

Like dissolves like

Mike Phillips

Need readership stats.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi there, first time caller long time listener here. This thread is pretty legendary now. Thanks so much for this incredible information and insight.

I have an unrestored MGB with its original single stage enamel paint intact. It has oxidised a little, so was looking to give the Meguiars #7 a go. The only thing is, #7 is out of stock in Australia. I contacted Meguiars who told me they are discontinuing #7 because there's no longer a market for this kind of product given the change in paint technologies. Their recommended replacement is either Ultimate Polish, or Ultra Finishing polish M205.

Has anyone tried Ultimate Polish or M205 using this kind of soaking process? Is there another product out there that can replace #7 for this kind of paint nourishment?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Pouakai View Post

Hi there, first time caller long time listener here. This thread is pretty legendary now. Thanks so much for this incredible information and insight.
    Why thank you. I agree, this thread is now legendary. Especially considering 99.9% of the populartion owns a car with a CLEARCOAT paint system.

I have an unrestored MGB with its original single stage enamel paint intact. It has oxidised a little, so was looking to give the Meguiars #7 a go. The only thing is, #7 is out of stock in Australia. I contacted Meguiars who told me they are discontinuing #7 because there's no longer a market for this kind of product given the change in paint technologies. Their recommended replacement is either Ultimate Polish, or Ultra Finishing polish M205.
    Sorry to hear this. So everyone reading this into the future - BUY SOME #7 NOW! Before it's gone!

And here's what you have to understand, there's no one at Meguiar's since I left that really works on cars with antique single stage paint TODAY or in the PAST. I can't count how many times I've saved the original, antique single stage paint on someone else's car?

And having the background knowledge I have about early paint technology and early Meguiar's products, there's really no one else you can find or talk to about this topic. I'd challenge anyone to find one other person on Planet Earth that knows this stuff that you can also talk to. The ONLY person I know might be Bill Stuart, (he owns the Absorber Company), but how you going to reach him? Me? I answer question on public forums since 1994 - I'm reachable. And I write articles on this topic. I don't know of anyone else that writes articles on this topic or any topic now days.

Has anyone tried Ultimate Polish or M205 using this kind of soaking process? Is there another product out there that can replace #7 for this kind of paint nourishment?
    I'd give the the Ultimate Polish a try. I'm sure it has some kind of TS Oil in it, who knows? Only the Meguiar's chemist.

I'm sure it will work for you.

Mike Phillips

Also - because this is your first post -

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

I remember your forum nickname as I just approved all pending accounts.

If you recently joined the forum - all pending account approved - spammers removed

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132 LastLast