autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint

I just got done painting a 2006 Silverado with single stage Omni paint. I used to work for a body shop in highschool and college but I've forgotten just as much as I learned. The paint is still really soft but I didn't want to wait too long to get this done. As you will see there is hazing and/or marring in the new paint after buffing.

I've done two different test spots. On both test spots I wetsanded with a block with 1200, 2000, and ended that with 3000 grit.

For the first test spot I did m100 with an orange pad (all pads are Lake Country). I followed that with M205 with a white pad. I even tried M205 on a black pad. I still couldn't get the hazy look out. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of this but it looks identical to the pictures of my 2nd test spot.

For the 2nd spot I sanded the same and then went right to m205 with a white pad. Is this classic hazing? The paint is still quite soft. Should I just wait it out a bit? I painted Sunday but I can still scratch it easily with a microfiber cloth if I rub too hard.

This is the 3000 grit sanding scratches:

Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint-3000-grit-small-jpg

The following pics are showing the marring or haziness that I'm getting:
    Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint-marring-2-small-jpg
    Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint-marring-3-small-jpg
    Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint-marring-4-small-jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike Phillips

Re: Marring? New Black Single Stage Paint

Yeah - looks bad.

Just to double check - are you sure your getting all your sanding scratches out using a foam cutting pad?

Mike Phillips

If it were me, and you think this paint is still soft - I would wait for either a few mor days and even a week.

Let the paint fully dry and set-up or shift

If it’s truly soft it should still be easy to cut in a week. Maybe move the car outside on a hot sunny day.

I don’t trust a foam pad to get out 100% of the sanding marks and would use a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yeah - looks bad.

Just to double check - are you sure your getting all your sanding scratches out using a foam cutting pad?

I am sure the scratches are coming out. There are no directional scratches at all. I'll wait a few more days and give it another shot. Is there a less aggressive polish I should be using?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by pwking View Post

Is there a less aggressive polish I should be using?

Lots of them.

See what I wrote here,

Polishing Plexiglas to be as clear as glass using Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish

Post Thanks / Like

1200 to 2000 grit is way too big of a jump in grits, which you could be seeing the 1200 grit scratch pattern still.
    try a different test spot- sand with 1200 in one direction like this \\\\\\\\\. move up to 1500 and sand in this direction/////////. then 2000 in a horizontal direction. shouldnt have to go to 3000,which 2000 to 3000 is way too big of a jump,too. you will be able to see the refinement of the scratch pattern from the previous grit when switching directions between each grit. you could also throw a guide coat on after every grit to know when the next grit completely refines.
    then buff and see what the results are. that M100 is great at cutting with a rotary and wool pad. i just about dont have to use a polish afterwards.
    its going to be more time with a DA and the orange pads but they do work.

how many coats of paint and is it a solid color or metallic?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
    1200 to 2000 grit is way too big of a jump in grits, which you could be seeing the 1200 grit scratch pattern still.
    try a different test spot- sand with 1200 in one direction like this \\\\\\\\\. move up to 1500 and sand in this direction/////////. then 2000 in a horizontal direction. shouldnt have to go to 3000,which 2000 to 3000 is way too big of a jump,too. you will be able to see the refinement of the scratch pattern from the previous grit when switching directions between each grit. you could also throw a guide coat on after every grit to know when the next grit completely refines.
    then buff and see what the results are. that M100 is great at cutting with a rotary and wool pad. i just about dont have to use a polish afterwards.
    its going to be more time with a DA and the orange pads but they do work.

how many coats of paint and is it a solid color or metallic?
    It is solid black and three heavy coats.

Thank you for the information. I sand in one direction with each grit so I can see if I sanded off the previous grit. I'll try sanded with less jump in grit. I do not see straight line scratches in the paint after buffing though...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

****Update****

I finally got the pickup looking great. I ended up using a Meguiars finishing polish (sorry, I don't remember which one) with a couple sprays of water on the pad. It looks great now. Thank you for the help!

9. Likes tomsteve liked this post