autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Black Fire Bug Blocker on my Ford truck

Review: Black Fire Bug Blocker on my Ford truck

Recently Mike Phillips wrote a review for a new product to protect your car from damage caused by bug splatter. The product also makes removing dead bugs faster and easier as they wash off when you wash the product.

Below are some pictures showing the application of BF Bug Blocker, then after my last trip, washing it off and finally showing my Ford Truck back to it's clean self again.

The product is a thick gel and applies best with an applicator pad or brush.

Here I'm applying to the plastic round the headlights....

Here I'm brushing on the Bug Blocker into the crevices between the body panel and headlight. If bugs get into tight spaces and dry they can be almost impossible things to remove.

A brush comes in REALLY HANDY for grill areas like this and I'm just dabbing it in kind of thick...

Can't really see it but I've applied the Bug Blocker all over the A-pillar as a lot of bugs impact this area...

You can see the brush marks in this picture but after a few minutes, this product flows out to a uniform layer and can actually be very hard to see.

Here she is, at this point I've applied the BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker to the entire front of the truck. Any surface that a bug would impact onto has been coated. But as you can see, the product flows and gels together to create a uniform layer that become invisible to the naked eye.

Here's after my trip from Crystal River, Florida to Pawley's Island, South Carolina, about 475 miles one way. This is after driving there and back, so a trip of about 950 miles. When I parked the truck for the night , I had no idea that I parked it by a sprinkler, when I came out the next morning and saw that a lot of the bugs were gone, and figured out a sprinkler had hit the front end and washed a lot of them off-- I knew right then that this stuff was good.

So by this time I am home from my trip and ready to wash the truck and as you can see there are lots of bug bodies all over the front of the truck and these have been on for 5 days now.

Here's my wash bucket with car wash and BLACKFIRE Foam Booster and a microfiber towel.

This is my old bug sponge, normally I would need this to scrub the bug carcasses of my truck and as you can see, I've used this bug sponge a LOT! But with the BLACKFIRE Bug Blocker it simply wasn't needed.

There's no scrubbing needed, all I'm doing is using the soapy water and the microfiber towel to gently agitate the surface and everything peeled right off.

Here's the results... completely clean without zero bug splatter left behind.

The Bug Blocker worked GREAT!

The problem is, the bugs are still here and now they're attracted to my clean shiny truck!

So in summary I will say that I do like the product, its easy to use and apply and does make a very big difference when removing the bugs - considerably less effort.

If I had a vehicle that constantly accumulated bugs I would use this pretty regular. Since that's not the case for me, I will use it on all 3 of my vehicles during May & September and when I go on any extended road trips (3 hours or more one way).

For me, when this bottle runs out, I will be buying another one- that should tell you what I think of it.

Thanks again to Mike Phillips for letting me test it out!!!

2. Thanks Diner, Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Black Fire Bug Blocker on my Ford truck

Awesome that it actually did work! And a great review of it.

Did you see any signs of the lovebugs did any etching?

How is it with the radiators after a season of these lovebugs? It's a hard to reach place and even if the plastic trim has been better to cover direct hits on them. I useally see a big build up of bugs on some vehical modells. And on older vehicals the radiators can be very brittle when you hose them down even. Is it something that you useally pay more attention on getting them cleaned?

Thanks for shareing your experience with us!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the product is blue. I’m only familiar with Pro Bug Guard which is clear and does the same thing. I wonder why Blackfire chose to color it
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Mike Phillips

Nice review Konrad!

I'm really glad that you not only took the time to capture some pictures applying it, but also the after shots, the washing shots and the after shots.

Job well done!

6. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Awesome review. I’m wondering if this stuff can be put in a hvlp gun with a bigger nozzle. That would make application a breeze.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Did you see any signs of the lovebugs did any etching?

How is it with the radiators after a season of these lovebugs?

/ Tony
    The etching only comes when the splattered love bugs are left on the painted surfaces for an extended period of time-- how long that is-- I am unsure. I do know that after a few months for sure that there will be etching. I never worry about etching anymore cause after getting "burned" by that one time, I ALWAYS wash them off no later than a few days-- I have learned my lesson with these.

As far as the radiator is concerned- all you can do there is just spray your straight stream from the hose thru the grill and hope for the best to get out as many as you can. BUT NEVER pressure wash the radiator- you wont like the results.

9. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes when it comes to the radiator, I had to blast it with just garden hose pressure and pick out whatever bugs were left behind with tweezers. Tedious job.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

Wow. Awesome review. I’m wondering if this stuff can be put in a hvlp gun with a bigger nozzle.

That would make application a breeze.

Now that's a great idea but I'm not sure it will work due to how thick and gel-like the product is. It's pretty thick.

Another option might be the Optimum Spray Gun?

Optimum Spray Gun

Or just wipe it and brush it on like shown. Sometimes simple is easy and simple is best.

13. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review!! I don't deal with bugs like that. Not anywhere near close to that. But if I do another road trip, like back in July, then I'll pick this up prior to the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Awesome review, now we need to develop bug repellent to go along with this!
    PS love Pawley's Island, we go every summer and love to hit the Hammock Shops!

16. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast