autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me find a replacement for BSD

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    After I wash my ride, I really enjoy having a sparkling dirt-free finish. I'm not looking to add slickness, but for a product I can use between washes that won't diminish the performance I see with PNS.

In Florida, we often have wet roads from sprinklers and afternoon rains, and the ass of the car gets the brunt of dirt and grime. If it's light, I like having a detail spray to wipe off the bumper and rear part of the trunk. I find BSD to be too thick for that purpose. BM is awesome for this purpose, even better than Meg's Ultimate Quik Detail spray. But they don't have the same quality of hydrophobicity (that word again) as BSD, in fact I've not found anything as good as BSD.
    I would suggest sticking with BSD for topping up PNS after washing, and for the product you can use “between” washes to clean up the rear bumper and trunk go with a waterless wash that does not leave anything behind.

I’d get a pump sprayer for this purpose and fill it with N-914 (or D114 if you have any) at the recommended waterless wash dilution ratio and spray it liberally. This will accomplish your objective of keeping the areas more prone to collecting dirt clean, while also not diminishing the characteristics of the PNS/BSD combination that you indicated you are happy with.
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

2. Likes RPPM, SWETM, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    I would suggest sticking with BSD for topping up PNS after washing, and for the product you can use “between” washes to clean up the rear bumper and trunk go with a waterless wash that does not leave anything behind.

I’d get a pump sprayer for this purpose and fill it with N-914 (or D114 if you have any) at the recommended waterless wash dilution ratio and spray it liberally. This will accomplish your objective of keeping the areas more prone to collecting dirt clean, while also not diminishing the characteristics of the PNS/BSD combination that you indicated you are happy with.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will certainly give this a try. Gotta figure out what N914 and D114 are, but in this world of “googling” I should have figured out in the next 15 seconds or so.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

While not as hydrophobic or as long lasting as BSD, try some Meguiars D156. Pretty good water behavior, great look, slick and so, so easy to use. Another option is Duragloss Rinseless wash with aquawax. Mix 2 oz with 16 oz of water, makes a great waterless wash/quick detailer. Very slick, great beading, but again, not quite the same look as PNS or BSD.

Post Thanks / Like

It's 45 days later and I'm not impressed with N914. It's diluted so thinly it's almost like using water only... maybe that's the intent, and since I'm accustomed to detail sprays that contain slickness and gloss enhancers, it's odd to have something so "bleh" as a detail spray. I probably need to keep in mind that it leaves no residue behind nor changes the properties of the the BSD/PNS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I find it much easier to spray BSD in a mf towel to wipe it in and then buff. A short loop nap mf towel to wipe it in and then buff with a split weave mf towel around 500gsm to soak up the residue as effective as possible. Also just 1 prime spray and then 1 spray and apply as far it reaching you which is useally very long way. On a hood is often just 2 sprays needed and 2 on the roof too and then 1 spray per panel is what I useally do.

Also a big tips is to have BSD in another bottle that has a fine mist. And especially if you like to spray it on the paint. I got this tips on a domestic detailing forum to get a Flairosol fine mist spray bottle the kind that builds up a pressure in the bottle as you trigger the spray head. They are working awesome for me with BSD in them and I have another brands spray sealant that comes in such a bottle too. You get a very thin layer and fine mist from these bottles. That I useally only needs to be useing the low nap mf towel to wipe it off with. If I feel like the grabbyness don't go away while wiping it off I use the plusher split weave mf towel to buff it up. And have more mf towels than you are used to use. As you want it to soak up the residue as effective as possible. So flip to a fresh side often and switch to another fresh towel as needed. Definitely if you are wanting to use it as a QD I would get a Flairosol fine mist spray or a spray bottle with a fine mist setting on it. The drawback is when it's very windy outside as the overspray and much product don't land on the vehical LOL. But then it's easy to spray it in a mf towel instead.

You can dilute it 50/50 as you have the PNS as a base protection. And it's gets easier to spread it out and mist it out. I even spread the mist when misting it on to the mf towel I use to wipe it in with. So I don't get big chunks of product in one place.

Have not tested the CG V07 spray sealant and BSD 50/50. But it's a well tried mix and play nice together as in getting you the water behavior from BSD and the extra shine and slickness from the V07. It can be worth to test it out though and see how you like it.

Brian at Apex Auto Detailing Channel on Youtube even use the BSD as a rinseless wash LOL. I think that I will test that out sometime. Don't know the dilution of the BSD in rinseless dilution.

/ Tony
    Also, forgot to thank Tony for this suggestion, it was a good read and helpful. I'm going to try diluting with distilled water and see how that works. Thanks!

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    Also, forgot to thank Tony for this suggestion, it was a good read and helpful. I'm going to try diluting with distilled water and see how that works. Thanks!
    No problemo

I looked at the BSD video Brian from Apex Detailing Channel did again yesterday so a fun coinsidense LOL. It's more like a waterless wash he used BSD with. He dilute it down to 1 part BSD and 4 parts destilled water. And also the experience I have he has have too. It's when you get too much of BSD it's starts to be very grabby in one place or even if you just spray in the mf towel at one spot. I think it's the nature of it since it's high concentration of the polymer protection in it. So it can be transfered to when you apply a wax as you want to apply it very thin layer of it. Or you will have a not so great of experience when you buff it off. So water it down to use as maintance as in every week or every other week I think is a great thing to do when you already has a great base layer of a protection. Otherwise try to use it full strength when you are after to up the protection or use it as a stand alone LSP is what I would be doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just cut the ratio of BSD, say 8 oz of BSD to 4 oz of distilled waterHelp me find a replacement for BSDHelp me find a replacement for BSD

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Why not just cut the ratio of BSD, say 8 oz of BSD to 4 oz of distilled waterHelp me find a replacement for BSDHelp me find a replacement for BSD

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I took Klasses advice a couple of months ago when I was having issues with BSD and it worked like a champ except I did mine at 1:1. I sprayed it directly on a lightly dampened MF towel too instead of on the panel, amazing results!

11. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So this video is in German. But he is talking about dilution rates of BSD and water. He tries multiple different rates. Bottom line the 1:1 ratio BSD and water still retains the optimal water behavior while easing the application.

If someone speaks German maybe they can provide more insight.

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Post Thanks / Like

What is BSD? I guess im not up on all the lingo yet?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast