autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to Ceramic Coat

hi

First of all mike thanks for accepting.

Can you kindly teach me how to ceramic coat my car. There are video on you tube i have been watching, but im not sure of it.

Lets say everything is prepared and i just need to ceramic coat

Thanks

heres what i bought. How to Ceramic Coat-adwa-jpg
    Last edited by boggsy; 09-05-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: adding picture

Mike Phillips

Re: How to Ceramic Coat

Hi boggsy,

After talking to you on Facebook I approved your new account and speed typed this for you.

For boggsy - A Ceramic Paint Coating How-To article

Can't sit behind the computer today, have to pack for the Ohio Roadshow Class.

Roadshow Detailing Class in Powell, Ohio - September 14th & 15th

3. Likes boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm guessing you posed your questions to Mike Phillips, our forum expert.
    But we all help out from time to time, sometimes Mike is away on occasion.

I'd say dependent upon the Coating you select to use, of course follow the Manufacturer's directions fully.
    To go outside those recommendations with an unorthodox makeshift method might get you in a bit of trouble.

Generally, most of the durable Coatings require an application step, then a final leveling-smoothing step done a very short time after application to each panel. Then repeat when moving to the next Panel.

Most instructions suggest a criss-cross application both in one direction, then another, and insuring overlap of product.

Insure you have enough product to coat the panel, but also do not over apply, which only causes a waste of product. Commonly 30ml of let's say Carpro CQuartz should be enough to cover an average sized car, but might not be enough for a larger SUV or Pickup Truck.

Also consider, you may wish to coat your Wheels as well. Wheels, if done both in and out might possibly need a full 30ml bottle to complete those, so keep that in mind. For Wheels, many might use a different coating product called Carpro DLX, very good.

The prep, good lighting and seeing what you are doing are paramount. A couple good "sacrificial" towels will likely be needed for the final leveling and smoothing to insure no high spots, or a spot missed.

Techniques differ, but I myself would likely coat all horizontal Panels such as the Roof, Hood, and Trunk Lid first, then move onto side Panels, and front-rear Bumpers.

Many coating products often suggest a follow-up temporary protective coat of a product within their line-up, that after a coating is initially fully dry, say an hour or two, then a sealant is applied to further protect the coating in its initial curing stages, which can sometimes take up to a full week to fully cure and harden.

To not do such might make the coating susceptible to water spotting if the coating is wetted.

I'd also suggest to the theme of "Keeping it in the Family", meaning whatever brand of Coating you use, do use their prep and protective products before and after the coating, both short term and long term as a good guideline to follow.

If Mike Chimes in, he'll perhaps link you to some Vids, showing such processes being done.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to the forum!

5. Likes Thomkirby, boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi mark

Thanks for you Welcome. Really appreciate it. As of now the criss cross application you said is the only thing i understand. This ceramic thing is still a bit blurry. Im reading Mike's link how to article This is my first time doing it, I dont want to mess it up hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike gonna read it

Post Thanks / Like

The first Coating I ever used was Carpro CQuartz UK, which there are some who have had issues with this older version. I didn't, but have prior detailing experience, and did read a lot about this particular Coating before using it.

The newer verison called CQuartz UK 3.0 is said to be much more user friendly, and has a greater latitude of temperatures in which it can be applied.

The Coating itself is a relatively fast process. What I, and most others find as the most difficult and time consuming processes is the full prep of the vehicle, getting it ready for the Ceramic Coat.

The cleaner you work, the better. The decontamination of the paint, likely claying, and should also use an Iron Remover both prior to Polishing take time.

Polishing and correcting the paint finish is commonly done. Then a final prep wipe to remove any-all traces of Polishing Oils, etc, so the Coating will properly bond to the paint.

The reason for a great degree of attention beforehand, is as you can imagine, the coating is like hitting "freeze frame" on the paint. Whatever is on that paint is then there to stay after the coating, be it dirts, sleeks and fine scratches, Saps, Iron Particulates, etc.

Coating is an initially expensive protectant to have to purchase, but long term for the long length of protection one receives, and the higher degree of paint protection, many Coatings are an actual bargain in the long run. Not to mention the time savings when car washes are needed, they go much quicker and easier, and less chance of inducing wash related swirling-scratching.

9. Likes boggsy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mark,

Yes the preparation. At least that part I understand . What do you use for the final prep to remove any-all traces of polishing oils? :-D

I also have read the first article. :

Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

1. Wait Time: Do different brands have different wait times?
    Is there a general rule on whats the safe wait time? Lets say 10 minutes? :-D

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boggsy View Post
    Hi Mark,

Yes the preparation. At least that part I understand . What do you use for the final prep to remove any-all traces of polishing oils? :-D

I also have read the first article. : Installing a Ceramic Paint Coating? You MUST have a GREAT hand held light to avoid high spots!

Thanks
    10 minutes way too long. I give it 30 seconds maybe. It will evaporate... the carrier or suspension, that carries the ceramic. You'll never get it rubbed off or leveled waiting 10 minutes.

And light helps a lot. The prep is... as others have stated... how perfect and clean you want the paint.

Good luck

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

12. Likes boggsy, dman68 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Hi Mark,

This info is in the article I shared with you here,

For boggsy - A Ceramic Paint Coating How-To article

Most companies that sell a coating also sell a product for chemically stripping the paint. You can also use Mineral Spirits or diluted IPA. You could even carefully wash your car with a dish washing soap.

This is correct. If you don't remove the high spots or in simple language, EXCESS PRODUCT - with some coatings, you cannot simply wipe the reside off the next day. You must polish or compound it off.

Imagine spending a second day polishing off high spots because you didn't have a good light to inspect the paint for them?

Thanks

EVERY brand of coating that I have ever used tells you how long to wait in the directions.

Get the directions for your coating and read them. My guess is this info is there.

Generally speaking it's a few seconds to a minute.

14. Likes boggsy, dman68 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post

10 minutes way too long. I give it 30 seconds maybe. It will evaporate... the carrier or suspension, that carries the ceramic. You'll never get it rubbed off or leveled waiting 10 minutes.

And light helps a lot. The prep is... as others have stated... how perfect and clean you want the paint.

Good luck

Goonie75 has got it right Boggsy, 10 minute's time between application, and then coming behind to level-smooth is much too long.

Typically with a product like CQuartz or CQuartz UK, 1 to 2 minutes at the very most. I myself would err on about the one minute mark, then wipe and smooth. Then onto the next panel, or portion of a panel.

Notice I say "Portion of a Panel". Larger Panels such as the Hood, Roof and Trunk, even larger doors should perhaps be broken into sections. Let's just for say the Hood. That I might break the Hood on a Car into 4 Sections. Areas of about 20"x20", or 22"x22" are about as large an area you want to apply a Coat at a time.

And like I mention before, insure overlap.

It's a process where one should work fairly quickly, but also carefully.

Where a Body Panel may butt up against Glass, Plastic Trim, Headlights, you should probably Mask off these areas, to insure no overrun of product onto those parts of a vehicle.

Masking Tapes of various widths are a must have when polishing and coating.

16. Likes boggsy, dman68 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast