autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

Continued....

After all the paint correction and sealing was finished, next up we sealed the vinyl top using 303 Protectant. The top had been washed, cleaned and dried first thing in the morning so now the vinyl is perfectly prepared for the 303 protectant.

Technique Tip

Because the paint, glass and trim have all been polished and sealed, to avoid getting overspray onto these surfaces and then having to wipe them again, here's a techniquie tip, it's real simple but as I always say,

The little things are the big things

To avoid overspray, simply bury the nozzle into a microfiber applicator pad and INJECT the 303 Protectant INTO the foam core inside the applicator pad. This gets the product onto and into the pad.

Then as you press the applicator against the vinyl top the foam core will release the product and you have zero overspray on the car.

Product Tip
    Correctly applied you lay down a WET APPLICATION. This means use a lot of product to saturate the vinyl and then massage it into the vinyl.

After thoroughly massaging the 303 Protectant INTO and over the vinyl top - next wipe the top dry using clean, dry microfiber towels.

Done!

2. Likes Aaryn NZ, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

More!

Here's the final results for the 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible

For most hobbyist and Pro Detailers - this is what I call a Bucket List Buff - that is, most people will NEVER get to detail a car like this and then some of us will get to do it at least once. And then we can mark it off our Bucket List of Cars we've detailed in our lives.

1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible

And in case you haven't noticed - this is a HUGE car to tackle! Nice work class!

1939 Lincoln Zypher Convertible

Not only is his car huge but it's also complicated in that it's VERY curvy! Again - top notch work class!

Here's the class that made the Griot's MAGIC happen to these two iconic Lincolns!

This far shot Mike Liebing took because in this shot you get a glimpse of how many tool and products you get to use at an Autogeek detailing class. I guarantee you this - if you look for a picture like the below one, (or actually ANY of the pictures in this thread), that shows what someone else's detailing class looks like and what you get to do and use - you won't find any. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

And here's the happy people having fun shot!

Very cool.

4. Likes axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

At this point in the class it's now 6:30pm. The class started at 6:30am SHARP.

I took this picture of my watch in the morning,

And I took this picture after the class was over...

(you can even see compound and polish splatter on the face of my watch from the class)

That means this has been an INTENSE 12 HOURS of on our feet, hands-on car detailing class. No chairs. No sitting.

The students in the class have washed 3 cars including to convertibles, one with a cloth top and one with a vinyl top and then detailed 6 cars from neglected to respected.

I'd say 60% of the people attending this class are enthusiast or hobbyist and 40% are Pro Detailers or starting a detailing business.

If you like to detail cars, be they your own or for money - you will LOVE this class.

Click here for info on all our classes

These are NOT academic classes

The word academic means you sit in a chair and learn from a speaker and a power point presentation.

This class started at 3:30am for me, here's a picture of my watch as I walked out of the hotel to go get the donuts and this very cool boat was parked out front. So I took a picture of it and my watch.

More pics of all the boats I saw that morning here...
    Yeah buddy! Z18 Nitro

Our classes are long. They are fun. You learn a lot. But if you want to sit in a chair - you'll have to go to one of them other car detailing classes.

Mike Phillips

Continued.....

Sunday

First thing Sunday morning we washed a staff member's daily driver car so we could use it later for going over One Step Production Detailing. This car was very dirty and also incredibly neglected. It doesn't look like it's been clayed or waxed in 10 years.

2008 Dodge Avenger

Putting a product to the test

A brand new car wash was recently introduced and in my original review, (also the first time I used the product), I mentioned that I was so impressed I would be switching over to this car wash for my own personal cars and I shared that in my second review. Check out my first and second reviews in the links I listed at the very bottom of this post.

The idea being, is this SiO2 car wash will truly lay down a layer of coating each time you use it to wash your car. I knew the Avenger was in super bad condition so I decided to test the car wash out with the class and see if we could get the same results I've been getting on my own.

This car has just be sprayed down with water. The SHINE you see on the hood is water. The water is NOT beading up but laying COMPLETLY FLAT.

Here's your truly pointing at the new car wash...

Pouring some into a bucket of clean water.

Thoroughly mixing the car wash with the water using my mixing stick that I take with me wherever I go.

Now I'm only going to wash one half of the hood....

Here's Mike Liebing, our host rinsing the hood...

BOOM!
    You can easily see wherever the car wash touched the paint the paint is now beading water as though it has been coated.

Driver's side = Phenomenal water beading in context

There was ZERO water beading before we washed this side of the hood

Passenger side - The only water beading is the places the Wolfgang SiO2 Car Wash touched.

Nice product. It's expensive. I'd recommend buying the gallon next time it's on sale and then mix 2 capfuls to 2-3 gallons of water and CAREFULLY HAND WASH your car.

Here's my original review for this new car wash

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Here's a second review I did....

KILLER CAR WASH - Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Mike Phillips

From my original review here,

Review: Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

A couple of things I noticed about this car wash solutions.

1: Very silky and slippery to the touch.
    That's what you're looking for from a great car wash solution for any car and especially a coated car.

2: Not a lot of suds.
    I'm not a chemist but I think that the ingredients that make the car wash slippery also reduce surface tension, which is what holds a soap bubble together instead of simply popping. So while we all like to see mountains of foamy suds in our car wash I'm pre-warning you you're not going to see that with this car wash soap but you are going to feel the slick, slippery feeling when dunking a wash mitt into your bucket of soapy water and then gliding your wash mitt over the surface of a body panel.

3: Free rinsing
    With a coated car and a coating wash, I notice the wash water slips or flies off car body panels fast and without any drag or resistance like some car wash soaps. This simply makes rinsing faster and also saves water.

4: Faster drying.
    That's one of the cool things about coated cars. Because water beads-up readily, (and also streams off the body panels), the water would much rather reside in a drying chamois than on a body panel or blow off with a strong blast of air.

If you have a coated car, I'd recommend switching over to a coating wash. Measure out the water in your bucket, (see what I say about the CLEAR buckets below), and then measure out your coating wash solution. Do not use the Glug-Glug method I always joke about. With this wash you want to be precise as too much simply wastes product.

True Maintenance Wash
    By simply washing your car, something you're going to do anyways, you can easily and effortlessly maintain a hydrophobic surface that repels water keeping your car cleaner longer and also maintaining the protection.

On Autogeek.com

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 16 ounces

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash - 1 gallon

The car washing essentials
    If you have read a lot of my how-to articles and reviews you have no doubt seen in the pictures that every time I wash a car I have certain key tools to help me work fast and efficiently. Below are what I consider the minimum essentials for washing your own car. This doesn't include the brushes and products for washing and cleaning wheels, just for washing the car.

My comments after each item.

Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart

Most of us wash our cars more than anything else we do to the car besides drive it. Without a car like you see in the pictures above, your bucket is on the ground. Think about how many times the rest of your life you're going to wash your car and then how many times you're going to BEND OVER to dip your wash mitt into your bucket each time you wash your car. That's a lot of bending over. Me? I don't bend over. Get the cart. Choke on the price and get it over with and then thank me later.

Professional 5 Gallon Wash Bucket- CLEAR

If you already have a 5-gallon bucket skip this purchase. If you don't, add one to your shopping car and get the clear buckets. They have graduated lines for each gallon of water. This way, if you want 3 gallons or 4 gallons or 2 gallons, the marks are clearly visible on the outside of the bucket so you don't have to guess when you want a specific volume of water.

The Grit Guard Insert

Grit Guard Washboard

Both the Grit Guard Insert and the Grit Guard Washboard are essential and I think it should be pretty much self-explanatory as to why.

Micro-Chenille Wash Mitt 4-Pack

Love these mitts. The Chenille mitts Autogeek sells don't fall apart when you wash them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer. The cheapie mitts you find everywhere else are cheap and after a wash or two they simply fall apart. You can never have to many good, clean wash mitts in reserve in case you drop your current mitt or it gets contaminated with tar or some other offending substance.

3 Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels, 20 x 40 inches

Million ways to dry a car. These work well and last and last. The are SIMPLE. Don't turn washing and drying your car into Rocket Science.

BEFORE
    Zero water beading Zero hydrophobic action

AFTER
    Hydrophobic Water Beading from ONLY washing with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Coating Wash

8. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roadshow Detailing Class in Auburn, Indiana - July 20th & 21st

I attended Roadshow Detailing class In Auburn Indiana.

It was amazing experience i never thought i will get hands on experience on all tools and so much we all did in two days though it was little tiresome. But at the end of day it made me more satisfied and accomplished.

Roadshow class cleared my doubts about detailing.

Mike is a nice trainer he pays attention on all students and handles every situation with patience.

Mike Phillips

Re: Roadshow Detailing Class in Auburn, Indiana - July 20th & 21st

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Singh View Post

I attended Roadshow Detailing class In Auburn Indiana.

It was amazing experience i never thought i will get hands on experience on all tools and so much we all did in two days though it was little tiresome. But at the end of day it made me more satisfied and accomplished.

Roadshow class cleared my doubts about detailing.

Mike is a nice trainer he pays attention on all students and handles every situation with patience.

It was great having you in the class Ronnie! Thanks for joining the forum and sharing your experience.

Here's you working on an incredibly rare - numbers matching, first year for the GTO!

Can't type much more, a tick busy showcasing the Cordless BEAST in this thread,

Dirty Girl - Extreme Maserati Makeover!

Mike Phillips

More,

The write-up here is from this class, this car is one of the cars we used to go over Production Detailing.

Here’s the power of teamwork and BLACKFIRE One Step!

BEFORE

AFTER

Click here to view the original image of 1024x699px.

Just one machine polishing step

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Exertion View Post

I just got back home from the Auburn, IN auto detailing class.

What a class and what I learned will make my job easier in my detailing business. The class is hands on and Mike is hands on the entire class.

We worked on six cars the first day from washing to finish seal. I was exhausted but it was so worth it.

We got to experience different buffers, pads, towels products and techniques.

The second day we continued detailing and got more experience on show car detailing along with engine and interior cleaning.

Incredible class and worth every penny. I can’t wait to attend the boat detailing class In February.

Thanks Mike for everything.

-Joshua L.M Fitzgerald

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for attending, it was a genuine pleasure to have you in the class!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mgshirey View Post

Mike,

Thanks for the Auburn/Praxis class. I learned a lot of new information and reviewed information from your videos. The class was awesome.

As an educator, this class was 100% engagement 100% of the time! I really liked using a variety of machines, equipment and tons and tons of products.
    Wow! Thanks Mike!

I often have people attend one of our classes that like me, is an educator in some other industry and when I get positive feedback from a fellow educator it means a lot.

I wish I had taken this class 10 years earlier. I probably would have purchased some different equipment. I appreciated being coached by Mike on using the equipment.
    And this is one of the things I really like about teaching the Autogeek Roadshow Class and that is the freedom to showcase multiple brands of EVERYTHING!

Furthermore, there was no pressure to buy a particular product and Mike shared that one must pick the products for the project and what we like to use.
    Copy that. I know some people "think" our classes are going to be a full-on sales pitch for products but that's now how I operate and Autogeek is completely onboard with this style of teaching.

Very valuable information.

Excellent class. I dreamed of attending the classes in Florida and this one was 30 minutes from my house.

And that's the benefit of the roadshow class. It's never going to be a great as our classes at our home court, but it's the next best thing.

Thank you for attending the class!.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast