autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021
    Mike Phillips

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Here's the link to the most recent class I taught,

Pictures: Autogeek’s Roadshow Class with PRAXIS Detailing in Auburn, Indiana

15 strangers and 10 cars in 2 days. Each car came out perfect. As in swirl-free and MICRO-MARR-FREE results.

Different tools. Different pads. And VASTLY different technique.

The one thing they all had in common is I only bring products to my classes that use great abrasive technology.

I get it that typically guys think technique is the most important factor when it comes to polishing paint. In my opinion that's because most detailers tend to be ego-driven, a tick on the alpha-male side. So of course they think it's all about them.

But I've been taking people that have ZERO technique, first-timers and when using great abrasive technology they get PRO results their first time and every time.

It's really about what's touching the paint first. It even makes common sense.

2. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Of course technique is important and vital. Now days you can learn technique from a single YouTube video as long as the person talking and running the buffer knows what they are doing and can adequately "speak" to explain what to do.

But it ALL starts with what is TOUCHING the paint and technique does not touch the paint.

A few weeks ago I perfected a black demo hood, one that I have painted by the same painter since moving to Florida 10 years ago. The same type of paint that I use to test all kinds of compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes for other companies and internally, and I'm pretty good at this type of stuff.

Look at the pictures. No amount of technique is EVER going to make the two products I used "work".

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Thank you for the correction Mike. Always learning on here.

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

From when this poll has started till now, there are so many companies that have polishes and compounds!

For a beginner, looking to find out what is indeed a quality compound or polish may be a bit overwhelming. It’s one reason I still think the forums are great. Ask questions, look around and do some research before you purchase anything. You can educate yourself on these forums and make only one purchase rather then buying and finding out a product is junk after the fact!
    Jim

6. Likes PaulMys, Burger liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

From when this poll has started till now, there are so many companies that have polishes and compounds!
    That's true and its' a good thing.

Sometimes I see or read or hear people complain that it's hard to choose something, (polisher, compound, wax, etc.), because there are SO MANY OPTIONS!

But it used to be people complained because there were too few options.

Me? I would rather have too many options than just a few.

For a beginner, looking to find out what is indeed a quality compound or polish may be a bit overwhelming.
    Totally agree and it's hard to know if Brand X is any good without using it of finding out from someone that knows the good, the bad and the ugly.

It’s one reason I still think the forums are great.

Ask questions, look around and do some research before you purchase anything. You can educate yourself on these forums and make only one purchase rather then buying and finding out a product is junk after the fact!

Agree.

Plus with the forum interface, you can format text and insert pictures, videos, links in a linear manner that makes it a lot easier for the human brain to take in versus how information is presented via other social media platforms.

8. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Burger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forums also let you interact (publicly & privately) with people that have your interest in mind.

Not trolls who are intent on being know-it-alls, and demeaning people for simply being new to the hobby.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Burger liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

This post is being presented simply to add to the discussion.

Here's a link to a thread where "Technique" turned out to be "the most important factor..."

Polisher inducing scratches help

I think I voted for "Technique" in this poll (a long time ago) because if I had to pick one of the choices provided that is what came to mind first. Actually, I think all of the choices play together. Any one of them, or any combination thereof, can and will have an effect. Each "problem case" must be analyzed on it's own and the "most likely" cause can be different from case to case.

So... If I was voting today, I'd look for an "Other" choice due to the fact that "the most important..." can be different based on the issue at hand.

But I will also say that "Technique" has to be a consideration... Along with "Abrasive Technology", and to a lesser extent, the remaining choices.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021