autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW FLEX XCE 3401 Corded and Cordless Polishers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    No
    Another go figure moment

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post

Right, so will the backing plates between the old 3401 be compatible with the new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post

No

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

Another go figure moment

spazzz,

It's not an engineering mistake, it's simply a new engineered design.

It had to be changed. It's not like a group of people sat in a room an found a way to make the design DIFFERENT just to screw people out of being able to use an OLD backing plate on a NEW tool.

Besides the fact that this is normal anytime you improve and upgrade things in the world, (anyone have an old iPhone or iPad that they CANNOT update the software?), backing plates wear out. Specifically the velcro HOOKS on the backing plate wear out. anyone that uses any tool that uses a velcro interface on the backing plate, (about 99.9% of all orbital polishers), has had to, or will need to, at some point throw away the original backing plate and purchase a REPLACEMENT - because everything wears out, even you and I.

Everyone LOVES the new design but it means things have changed. (for the better).

So "no" the original backing plate design for the original design of the FLEX 3401 (with the ALUMINUM SHROUD), will not fit the NEW DESIGN of the new FLEX 3401 with the lightweight, PLASTIC SHROUD.

I'll take pictures to show the differences and I think most people that are FLEX users will agree, the new design is how they say,

New and improved!

3. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Dislikes Dr Oldz disliked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post

We all faithful 3401VRG owners should be able to use the 5 inch backing plate from the new machine, since one never existed before now.....or did I miss something in my sleep.

Alas backwards compatibility probably doesn't drive sales

The factory installed backing plate for the new cordless CBEAST will be 5 inches. This allows for a smaller pad and improves the efficiency of the tool for both correction and polishing work and also allows longer battery life of the tool.

There will be a 6" backing plate available for those that want to use a larger pad. I guess you could say, for those that want to work less efficient and have shorter battery life.

Here's the deal, I've used the cordless version of the CBEAST with both the 6" and 5" backing plates and thus I've used it with both 6.5" pads, (Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid pads), and 6" pads, (the Buff & Shine Uro-Tech pads), and the smaller pads work much better in my opinion and experience.

Everyone can do as they will and figure out what works best for them but I'm on board with FLEX and their decision to sell the tool with the 5" backing plate installed versus the 6" backing plate.

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post

That's cool

My question is why do they both have lower RPM specs vs the 480 RPM of the 3401?

One of the main goals was to remove the aluminum shroud to eliminate heat, (plus weight), so with the re-design there are

Every tool is designed differently including the gears, bearings, motors, air baffles, chassis, etc. The engineers have to take into consideration all aspects of running tool performance and then design the characteristics of the tool for maximum performance. The lower RPM speed for the cordless tools is to maximize tool and battery efficiency. If the engineers knew the tool would perform to specs and expectations of the users at the higher RPM they would have created it this way, but they didn't.

FLEX History
    When the first XC 3401 was introduced, there were 3 evolutions of the backing plate. It's called a rolling change to improve the efficiency and performance of the tool. It's a good thing.

Is it still 10 orbits per?
    According to my original article on this topic, at least for the original FLEX 3401 I counted 11 orbits.

How many orbits are there in one rotation for the Flex 3401?

And what did they do to improve this red BP?

This is where a picture tells a thousand words. Hang tight, my 1,500 pound pallet of tools and products that we used at the Auburn, Indiana Roadshow Class is supposed to be here today. I probably won't unpack it until Monday. My #9 and #11 tools are packed in a tote on that pallet at the very bottom.

When I get them un-packed I'll take them apart and take pictures to show the Tab & Slot design and when you see this - you'll see why it's better and also why it will take all the lateral force off of the bolts that hold the backing plate to the drive interface for the backing plate.

7. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, will flex continue producing the current 3401, or should I buy a 3rd one before I can’t get them anymore?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DetailDrivenEugene View Post

So, will flex continue producing the current 3401, or should I buy a 3rd one before I can’t get them anymore?

That's a good questions. I'll find out.

10. Thanks DetailDrivenEugene thanked for this post
    Likes DetailDrivenEugene liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailDrivenEugene View Post
    VERY good question!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for taking your time to answer everyones questions!!! That is greatly appreciated by many I am sure.

I wasnt so much thinking about an old backing plate fitting on a new machine, I was considering a new backing plate for my old machine. Something the engineers for SURE didnt want to consider lol. They want everyone to keep buying the new stuff not keep the old. I realize that.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Hang tight, my 1,500 pound pallet of tools and products that we used at the Auburn, Indiana Roadshow Class is supposed to be here today.

I probably won't unpack it until Monday.

Great news!

Our pallet has landed....

Thank you Lucas!

Here's Lucas bringing the pallet to the garage....

Always nice, always ready to help - thank you Lucas!

Anyone want to help me unpack 1,500 pounds of tools and products?

Still won't get to unpacking it until next week.

14. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for answering my sarcastic comments.
    I got caught up in the moment and you handled it very professionlly

I still wish they had a legit 5 inch backing plate for the VRG.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast