autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

This was after it cured all night but I noticed some browning before I even left, wanted to see it out in the sun...more maybe not. $50.00 down the drain, could've gotten 2 bottles of Gyeon Tire, getting low on it actually and it's my favorite tire product, Gyeon Tire Express is right there as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Wondering if it doesn’t play well with 303 tire cleaner. They’re pretty adamant about prepping the tire with undiluted power clean, however much of that is BS is up for debate I guess.

If I could ever get enough working time to spread the stuff out, I’d probably also stop feeling like I wasted money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I applied a coat again before I went into work and another 2 hrs later before I headed out on my route. I'm going to keep an eye on it I guessOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    Wondering if it doesn’t play well with 303 tire cleaner. They’re pretty adamant about prepping the tire with undiluted power clean, however much of that is BS is up for debate I guess.

If I could ever get enough working time to spread the stuff out, I’d probably also stop feeling like I wasted money on it.

A manufacturer saying only their cleaning product can prep a suface for their finishing product... where have I heard that before?

I used other products to prep my tire and it went on smoothly afterwards. As long as the tire is completelly clean, what cleaner you used should have no impact at all.

Power clean probably does a great job at cleaning rubber, but so does a gazillion other products.

5. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    W T F is that brown sheet on the tires nowOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

I have not experienced that so far with the product. Not sure what to tell you. I can't remember off hand how to strip it off the tire but you can do it with some chemical... maybe reach out to Optimum to ask them how.

Coatings need a prefectly clean surface, you can't put it on if something else is still on or in the rubber. I would suggest after you remove it, clean the tire with Lacquer Thinner and give it a few days with nothing on it. Then do the same thing again before re-applying. This should allow any product absorbed in the rubber to come out.

I have had a few times where I could not apply a coating to a client's vehicle because what ever they used was too difficult to remove in a timelly fashion. If I am to sit in front of their tires for 3 hours to apply a coating, I will have to charge them a ridiculous amount to do it, so I just let them know it was not possible instead and moved on.

If it's your own car, you can definatelly take the time to do it correctly.

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

W T F is that brown sheet on the tires nowOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

This comes from a couple different things. One not enough cleaning and two using too many tire dressings that have been absorbed into the tire.

Your best option would have been to run no dressing for a couple weeks to let them leach out of the tire and cleaning weekly. You would avoid this issue.

Been there and done that. Lessons learned on my end when switching over to a tire coating.

9. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately that tire wasn’t deep down clean, Klasse.

I use a product for cleaning tires called White Wall cleaner NL made by Transmate. I get it from the local detailer supply shop for 35$ for 5 gallons. Nothing I have ever used cleans tires like it. Perhaps you guys can find it locally????
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    A manufacturer saying only their cleaning product can prep a suface for their finishing product... where have I heard that before?

I used other products to prep my tire and it went on smoothly afterwards. As long as the tire is completelly clean, what cleaner you used should have no impact at all.

Power clean probably does a great job at cleaning rubber, but so does a gazillion other products.
    I wouldn’t ever imply there’s any truth to the statement, just that they do say it. Although it doesn’t seem far fetched, in my head, that these specific rubber cleaner products may leave something behind to make the tires look so good after everything is said and done.

I go back and forth between completely disregarding the notion that x brands cleaner is special and thinking “ehh, maybe?”

I can’t (maybe won’t) accept that paint coatings operate under different rules (brand specific prep products) than a tire coating, because to me it’s the exact same principle. Like using IPA instead of paying extortion level prices for something like eraser, which is essentially boutique IPA with a scent. Who knows, just thinking out loud really.

I do see a lot of people in the optimum Facebook group struggle with the tire coating though, for one reason or another. I’ve not seen anyone have an okay experience. It’s either the dream, or they hate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    This comes from a couple different things. One not enough cleaning and two using too many tire dressings that have been absorbed into the tire.

Your best option would have been to run no dressing for a couple weeks to let them leach out of the tire and cleaning weekly. You would avoid this issue.

Been there and done that. Lessons learned on my end when switching over to a tire coating.
    Thank you and Dr. OLDZ, as well as everyone else here. I guess I'm going to need some paint thinner and strip them down and re-clean and hopefully get a better resultOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you and Dr. OLDZ, as well as everyone else here. I guess I'm going to need some paint thinner and strip them down and re-clean and hopefully get a better resultOptimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)Optimum Tire Protection Coating (TPC)

DON'T USE PAINT THINNER! Paint thinner can damage the clearcoat on your wheels. What you need to use is Lacquer Thinner or Mineral Spirit. Both are strong solvents and are not gonna damage your paint.

14. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast