autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Production Detailing Kiwi Style.

Hello Forum Family.

After reading this write up from Mike Phillips,

How to Under Promise and Over Deliver with BLACKFIRE One Step - Your One Step Detailing Package

I thought I would share a production style detail which probably equates to around 75% of my work load.

So this Volkswagen Passat arrived at the shop a little before 7am & by half past I was already making good progress on my wash regime.

Washing - I start with an ample spray of a locally (NZ) tar & adhesive remover & let it dwell on the surface to penetrate any tar on the exterior surfaces. Being that NZ is paved with volcanic rock chip & tar we certainly have no shortage of tar adorning our vehicles. A pre wash citrus spray is applied (again, with a pressure sprayer) to the front, wheels, tyres, under the wheel arches, door shuts &/or any other heavier soiled areas & left to dwell also.

Wheels are cleaned & all other surfaces are thoroughly rinsed with a pressure washer, including wheel arches, door shuts etc.

A good solid scrub down of the exterior is carried out, & depending on the condition this is often on the “aggressive” side. Rinsing off I then run foam through m y pressure washer & clay the exterior using a clay towel/mitt & rinse again.

Without being super specific with my times, I finished washing, decontaminating, drying & “stretching” by around 9:30am.
    Now I very rarely alter my process (a methodical creature I am) so after removing any personal items from the VW I set about removing the floor mats, vacuuming, machine scrubbing, extracting them & hanging them up to dry.

I move on to a thorough vacuum of the interior, all the cracks, crevices, nooks & crannies are done & next up is deep cleaning the seats & carpet.

I have tried a few upholstery cleaners/shampoos over the years, & although the reputation of Chemical Guys has varying opinions around the detailing industry I am a fan of their Lightning Fast Stain Extractor. I spray this on via a pressure sprayer & agitate with a Cyclo (Aqua) Brush attachment, then extract with a hot water extractor.

Once all that is done I move on to cleaning the intricate interior pieces with the Tornador Cleaning Gun & All other associated trim is cleaned down with a mild APC.

Windows attacked inside & out, final vacuum, floor mats outback in, final inspection - done.

Interior before & after pictures -

So now that the interior is finished up, I turn my attention to the exterior.

This is no multi step polishing process on this one, it’s simply not what the customer wanted or even requires. A clean, shiny appearance is all that is needed & that’s what we delivered.

The mighty Flex 3401 is equipped with Lake Country’s Orange SDO Pads & 3D HD Speed is AIO of choice. Two passes, three or four on the visual impact areas, exterior plastic trim is dressed with CarPro Perl as are the tyres ... the door shuts are dusted down & wiped with Megs D156 & I stick a fork in that & call it done.

5:30pm Finished.

Had a half hour lunch break with my gorgeous Wife, a morning & afternoon tea break, & a couple of interruptions to talk/deal with customers coming in but otherwise, I guess a solid 8 hours. That sums up the majority of my Months.

Here’s some before & after pictures of the exterior -

There you go. That’s how I do it down here in the far South - Production Detailing Kiwi Style. Thank you all for taking a look, & here are a few very insightful, valuable articles from Mike Phillips regarding Production Detailing & AIO work.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-phillips.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...oft-paint.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...com%2Fyb7ew7o8

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...e-profits.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-business.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...st-market.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...detailing.html

All great articles & must reads for any newbies or folks wanting to up their income in existing detailing shops that haven’t been offering AIO style detailing too.

Have a great weekend folks -

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

2. Likes Steve NZ, fly07sti, VISITOR, SWETM, UncleDavy and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Production Detailing Kiwi Style.

Frankly it looks like you spent days working on it as opposed to about eight hours. I have no doubt at all that the customer was over the moon when viewing it completed. Terrific pictures by the way.
    Rick....now in North Texas

4. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow....those wheelsProduction Detailing Kiwi Style.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

You are better than I my friend. That interior was beat!

7. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aaron the Wizard!!

Awesome before & after pics, my man.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RTexasF View Post
    Frankly it looks like you spent days working on it as opposed to about eight hours. I have no doubt at all that the customer was over the moon when viewing it completed. Terrific pictures by the way.
    Thank you RTexasF.

Yeah, the customer was pretty happy & yes, it was a good turn around for the time allowed. Appreciate it buddy, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Wow....those wheelsProduction Detailing Kiwi Style.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Haha, thanks Klasse Act.

Indeed! It’s a very common sight around NZ! It’s almost like there’s a prize for the dirtiest wheels type of competition going on.

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    You are better than I my friend. That interior was beat!
    Cheers Don.

Yes my friend, it was on the gross side for sure. Actually, the drivers seat had that much body fat & dirt that it looked shiny.

Thanks for taking the time to comment my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Aaron the Wizard!!

Awesome before & after pics, my man.
    Thank you PaulMys.

Hahaha, you know - sometimes I see my face in the reflective shine I make & I think “when did I get all them wrinkles ... I look like Gandalf The Great”

... I haven’t managed to brew up any concoction in my cauldron yet that fixes that.

Thank you my friend, I appreciate your comments & pleased you enjoyed the pictures.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

10. Likes PaulMys, Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice turnaround on that Aaryn! Looks great...good time frame to complete that as well!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing better than the detailing on the VW is the photos and documentation. Get that customer on a maintenance detail regimen. In all honesty I’d rather look at real cars get detailed due to the huge gains that are achieved. Excellent work!

Post all the production details you have time for. Very enjoyable to read/look at

Post Thanks / Like

5:30 pm and dark outside. You guys are all turned around down there

Post some Christmas/December photos and that will make us all jealous.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up and pictures my friend!

You really have it dialed in the process of production detailing. Interesting to read about the different difficults in the environment you live in. The winter tires here in Sweden is 50/50 studded ones. And that does a trick on the asphalt roads and gets you a lot of tar spots. So reading about the first decon step to get the tar off the vehicals is what's done here too.

WOW what a difference between before and after pictures from the interior clean up. And how great you where able to clean it up. The dirty water in the hot water extractor is often an awefull sight LOL. There you really see what amount of dirt you can remove with it.

The exterior came out great too. An awesome clean up on both exterior and interior you are doing. And during 8 work hours is impresive to say the least.

Also great to see and hear how the production detailing is what is mostly done in a detailing business.

Awesome work Aaryn!

/ Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast