autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to machine polishing, some questions....

Sounds like you have gotten yourself a sweet vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance of course goes further than just a clean shiny vehicle. A simple dog bath, and wax, and a basic good interior clean-up/detail will hold you for a bit, until you get all your ducks in a row.

Not sure how handy and mechanically proficient you are, but I'd also pay high attention to oil changes, possibly tranny fluid and filter changes, checking all fluids, brakes, hoses, belts, filters, plugs, axle fluids, wiper blades, and all other common items, oh, and tires.

Best to know you got all those things taken care of, a shiny, dead truck on the side of the road won't be doing you much good.

Yeah, I know well, that by the time the smoke clears, it could be multiple hundreds of dollars invested, but I'd rather spend that money there first, before investing in polishers pads, and a vast array of detailing goods, at least at first.

Trust that I, like hundreds of others here know well, Autogeek is highly addictive! :-) Many of us plain ole "hobbyists" here have more detailing supplies and tools on hand than many professional detailing shops! LOL

2. Thanks bigterp thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! Have already read over that a few times.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Sounds like you have gotten yourself a sweet vehicle.

Vehicle maintenance of course goes further than just a clean shiny vehicle. A simple dog bath, and wax, and a basic good interior clean-up/detail will hold you for a bit, until you get all your ducks in a row.

Not sure how handy and mechanically proficient you are, but I'd also pay high attention to oil changes, possibly tranny fluid and filter changes, checking all fluids, brakes, hoses, belts, filters, plugs, axle fluids, wiper blades, and all other common items, oh, and tires.

Best to know you got all those things taken care of, a shiny, dead truck on the side of the road won't be doing you much good.

Yeah, I know well, that by the time the smoke clears, it could be multiple hundreds of dollars invested, but I'd rather spend that money there first, before investing in polishers pads, and a vast array of detailing goods, at least at first.

Trust that I, like hundreds of others here know well, Autogeek is highly addictive! :-) Many of us plain ole "hobbyists" here have more detailing supplies and tools on hand than many professional detailing shops! LOL
    Oh yeah. Already on top of all of the maintenance issues. I had an '07 F-150 that I traded for the '04. Kind of odd going back 3 years, but it gained me nearly 100K miles and the extra room of a crew cab, which I desperately needed to fit my 2.5 year old son and 3 month old daughter. It has the 5.4L 3V Triton, same as my '07. So I'm very familiar with these particular motors. Doing the dreaded plug change myself as well as changing my own diff fluids (front and rear), soft transmission fluid change (don't like flushes) while adding a Dorman pan with drain plug and transfer case fluid change. Have a new power steering line (cooler to reservoir) on the way as we speak. Mines corroded/rusted pretty bad and needs swapped out. Other than that, there isn't much else that needs addressed. The dealership replaced a few things before putting it on the lot (IWE solenoids, locking hubs, cowl trim, serpentine belt, exhaust, alignment and an oil change). Hoping my preemptive maintenance that I'll be doing at 60k will keep this thing running for a LONG time. That's why I need to keep it shiny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigterp View Post
    Oh yeah. Already on top of all of the maintenance issues. I had an '07 F-150 that I traded for the '04. Kind of odd going back 3 years, but it gained me nearly 100K miles and the extra room of a crew cab, which I desperately needed to fit my 2.5 year old son and 3 month old daughter. It has the 5.4L 3V Triton, same as my '07. So I'm very familiar with these particular motors. Doing the dreaded plug change myself as well as changing my own diff fluids (front and rear), soft transmission fluid change (don't like flushes) while adding a Dorman pan with drain plug and transfer case fluid change. Have a new power steering line (cooler to reservoir) on the way as we speak. Mines corroded/rusted pretty bad and needs swapped out. Other than that, there isn't much else that needs addressed. The dealership replaced a few things before putting it on the lot (IWE solenoids, locking hubs, cowl trim, serpentine belt, exhaust, alignment and an oil change). Hoping my preemptive maintenance that I'll be doing at 60k will keep this thing running for a LONG time. That's why I need to keep it shiny
    I forgot to mention to you, I'm wishing you a great big welcome to this forum, it's a fantastic place, and all of us are really great people to interact, learn from, and share with.

I myself, just a hack is all, own 3 polishers, two bought here, the PC7424XP, and Griots Boss 15. And a new Baby Grots 3" that I caught off of ebay dirt cheap. Have enough products, tools, pads and everything else on hand to detail a couple large dealership's inventories! LOL

And although I thought I was some master before I joined here, and am in fact pretty meticulous and knowledgeable before I ever joined, and owned many sweet vehicles in my day, I enhanced my knowledge and mastery vastly since becoming a member here. Best thing I ever did as far as enhancing my detailing expertise.

Enjoy your membership here, hopefully it will be a long and very rewarding one for you!

6. Thanks bigterp thanked for this post
    Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it were me, I would save up if need be and get a flex 3401, 4 7/8 backing plate (I think that's the size), and LC 5.5 hybrid force pads. You'll never go back. Literally cuts your time in half. Skip all the others, because you're going to want to upgrade

8. Thanks bigterp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to place yourself on Autogeek's Mailing list. There are many great sales throughout the year, BOGO's, free shipping, very deep discounts on products, and sometimes even tools, chargers, car covers, etc. Sometimes the sales have exceptions, and on some occasions, no exceptions, 15%, 20%, and once in a blue moon even 25% off!

Autogeek also has a sister site, called Autopia. (Same parent company, Palm Beach Motoring Group)There too there are good sales, good members, and great share of information.

When you order from either site, packing is exemplary, and highly professional, boxes packed where you could throw the entire box down a flight of stairs, it ain't opening up! Heavy duty tapes used on boxes, often bottles-jars are additionally tape secured, and all padded well.

I can't say enough good. And if there's ever a problem, no need to worry, they have your back, and will take care of any-all matters pronto! They will also price match commonly if you see something on sale elsewhere.

When they have the big sales, and free shipping, on whatever minimum dollar amount spent, and sometimes no minimum order, that's the time I'd often stock up on bulk containers, gallons of products such as tire dressings, towel cleaners, Shampoos, detailing sprays, and items along these lines.

10. Thanks bigterp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One more little tidbit I'd like sharing with you, and others who perhaps have never tried them.

To not ever discount Autogeek's-Autopia's house brands such as Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Blackfire, McKees.

Although you'll never see these products sold in the big box stores, none of them can be termed "generic" in any sense.

All are cutting edge, state of the art products, which usually have little to no peer. Let's take the Wolfgang line for example. Every product is killer. Pad cleaners, pad conditioners, their Deep Gloss Sealant is one of the finest I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Again, Pinnacle, and Blackfire, outstanding! I have a whole lot of these products in my arsenal, their polishes, detailer sprays, etc.

Not that thee aren't many other fine products, almost too many to count! Sonax, Optimum, Ultima, Collinte, Meguiars, on and on!

12. Thanks bigterp thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    If it were me, I would save up if need be and get a flex 3401, 4 7/8 backing plate (I think that's the size), and LC 5.5 hybrid force pads. You'll never go back. Literally cuts your time in half. Skip all the others, because you're going to want to upgrade
    IMO every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one pc-style DA and it's more of a jack of all trades compared to other polishers...

14. Likes PaulMys, bigterp, BillE, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    IMO every detailer/enthusiast should own at least one pc-style DA and it's more of a jack of all trades compared to other polishers...
    Way easier to learn with in my opinion.

AND....... if you are just doing your own well-cared for cars, they are honestly all you need.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

16. Likes VISITOR, bigterp, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Way easier to learn with I'm my opinion.

AND....... if you are just doing your own well-cared for cars, they are honestly all you need.
    also, the GG6/PC are more ergonomic/easier to handle with one hand...

18. Likes PaulMys, bigterp liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast